All reviews arthur's seat friendly hosts dalkeith road with en suite facilities holyrood park bus stop royal commonwealth pool salisbury arms front of the house small bathroom perfect place to stay excellent location within easy walking distance stayed two nights every morning high ceilings very pleasant stay
Reviewed 27 August 2014

This is the second time I have stayed here in the last 14 months. David and Margaret are great hosts, and I found the place to be clean and quiet.

I am a golfer, so you cannot get much closer to the Prestonfield Golf Course. Plus, the bus stops right in front of the place if you want to go into town.

Room tip: rooms at the front of the house are louder due to street noise. The windows, when closed, keep much of that noise out.
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We are actually still staying here, but I love this place so much I wanted to post a review!
My wife and I are traveling on our honeymoon and we are so happy we found this place to stay! I run a large wedding and event venue in Colorado and my wife runs and manages 20 international hotels and so to say we are particular about where we stay would be an understatement! LOL this place is incredibly beautiful. It's well located and easy to get to. There's tons of stuff to do around here with easy transport, a bus stop just outside and a lot of great places to walk nearby. Arthur's seat is a great nearby nature walk with stunning views. We came for the Edinburgh fringe Festival and are staying for another week to explore Scotland. The room we're staying in is very clean and comfortable, really beautiful, well lit, beautiful view. The bed is very comfortable, free Wi-Fi. Breakfast is served every morning and it's really great fresh food. I've become a huge fan of David's porridge! The salmon and eggs also wonderful. Margaret and David are incredibly kind and gracious hosts. When we informed them that our plans were flexing a little bit, that we wanted to stay longer, they went out of their way to make it easy for us to do so. I cannot speak highly enough about this place. We have not even left yet but I want everyone to know what a wonderful place it is. I think that there are a few places that you will find that will match the quality of the experience and the kindness of the hosts. We both highly recommend this place without any hesitation!

Room tip: Number 5 has a lovely view
1  Thank Zenguitardude
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We greatly enjoyed our stay at the Gifford House. It was a lovely experience and everything was excellent. Margaret and David could not have been more hospitable. The room and breakfasts were both top-notch.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

We stayed at Gifford House for 3 nights during the CWG and the start of the Edinburgh Festival. Margaret and David are the most charming and helpful hosts who are always willing to offer advice on anything relating to your visit to Edinburgh (or any part of Scotland for that matter).
The rooms are well appointed and the establishment is in impeccable condition - world class. The establishment is well situated and close to the city centre - within walking distance for the more adventurous and right on a main bus route into the city for the less adventurous.
The breakfast is generous with plenty of variety. I have to agree with a previous reviewer - the scrambled egg and salmon is a winner. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay.
Thank you very much, Margaret and David

1  Thank JohanMoolman
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We stayed with Margaret and David for 4 nights. nothing was too much trouble, David helped with directions and booking a taxi for an early morning start [to get to Glasgow for the Games ].He even did us an early breakfast! The food was amazing. I recommend the salmon and scrambled egg! I would definitely return hopefully next year for the Fringe !

Room tip: The room was clean and tidy and uncluttered ,the bed was comfortable. The coffee making facility was good. For our late returns and early starts.
Date of stay: July 2014