“One of the best!”

Price range: USD 7 - USD 49
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Description: Koyama is one of Edinburgh's market leaders in Japanese cuisine. Being the one and only sushi restaurant in Edinburgh with all dinnerware imported directly from Japan, Koyama proudly presents you with the enlightenment for a taste of Japanese traditional dining etiquette.
Reviewed 16 February 2017

I have been here in the past, hence decided to come back on Valentine's Day, knowing I would not get disappointed, and I was right once again.
Good food, well presented, a nice bonus of free prawn crackers and miso soup, which are served straight away before you communicate your order.
The sashimi set was delicious, the squid and the salmon stood out. Delicious octopus takoyaki, as well as a very tasty seaweed salad and grilled salmon sushi. A very delicate sashimi salad, even though the quantity of sashimi in it was not generous. Good the temaki sushi.
Perhaps just the rice was not exceptional, but I guess it was just a case, as the other times it was fine.
A special mention to the waiting staff, attentive and courteous.
I will definitely visit Koyama again!

Reviewed 12 January 2017

This was our first visit and will definitely not be our last. Friendly staff and a comfortable setting for starters.

We ordered a number of the smaller dishes for starters and all of them were very well presented and absolutely delicious (as the title suggests).

My main was the sirloin dish served on a hot plate. It was one of the best tasting and best presented dishes I've had in recent memory.

Well recommended and we'll be back.

Also a great selection of sake, especially good was the warm house sake with honey!

Reviewed 11 January 2017 via mobile

Fantastic place for Japanese food, it's down to eat and unassuming. Service is normally great but goes down hill during the Fringe as it is just so busy as it is located in the heart of the Fringe Festival locations but bear with it as the food is authentic, tasty and full of flavour. The food is always amazingly presented and the staff are friendly and helpful if your a first timer and don't know what to have.

Reviewed 19 December 2016

Koyama has an excellent sushi selection, vegetarians can find many interesting sushi rolls beyond 'cucumber and avocado'. Their warm meals (noodles and ramen soups) are amongst my favorites though. I try to have a different fish each time, and so far I have not been disappointed. The staff and the overall atmosphere is very lovely. Last time I have been there was some soft jazzy music playing, not sure if that's their new thing now, but I sincerely hope so, because jazz and food is just the perfect match, in my opinion. Oh, and the prices are not too crazy even for a person on a budget!

Reviewed 16 November 2016 via mobile

Just happened to pass this restaurant on the hoof with my wife and baby trying to avoid another carb heavy offering in the city. If you want a decent offering of Japanese cuisine that is also presented well this is a good spot.

After a full day of traipsing about the town we were very hungry so pork ramen was a must. However the tempura and sashimi and nigiri looked too tasty to turn down. And before all this we were given complimentary miso soup and prawn crackers (don't think this is authentically Japanese but we did not care).

Presentation was delicate but the sashimi could have been sliced a bit more thickly. And more wasabi could have been provided given the nigiri set that had been ordered.

The staff were friendly and looked after our baby well.

All in all this is not a budget restaurant but it is not Nobu prices either. But I felt it delivered on he food and at fair value.