4,310 results
All reviews the palm court hadrian's brasserie scotch bar rocco forte sean connery concierge staff train station beautiful hotel turn down service princes street luxury hotel birthday treat edinburgh castle castle view arthur's seat royal mile spa
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Wow! This hotel is just stunning. We got upgraded to a room with an amazing view looking out over the city. We stayed for my birthday and had the best time. The hotel is just a few minutes walk from the railway station and is close to the shops, museums and restaurants. Would highly recommend staying here.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Rachel A
BalmoralEdinburgh, General Manager at The Balmoral Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2018

Dear Rachel A

I was delighted to read your review and thank you for taking the time to post. I was thrilled that you chose to spend your birthday with us and hope you take with you happy memories of this special occasion spent at The Balmoral.

You mention in your post the location of the hotel - I agree - the hotel is perfectly situated within this majestic city to enjoy all the sights and attractions Edinburgh has to offer. 1 Princes Street, Edinburgh's most prestigious address, is one which are very proud of and which truly affords our guests the perfect base from which to explore.

Thank you once again for your review and for your recommendation to fellow TA users. I very much hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Balmoral in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

I’ve never eaten a meal here other than at business events but to be honest the food at those doesn’t make me want to. It’s always mediocre and bland and this time was no different.
The venue is stunning, service great but the food Just misses the mark. Appreciate when catering for the masses it slips but a hotel of this Calibre shouldn’t let it.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
5  Thank KayleighMac

Dear KayleighMac

Thank you for your mixed review. Firstly, may I say I was most disappointed to learn that the food did not meet your expectations on your recent visit. Our food is often cited as a highlight of our guests experience and I am sorry this was not your perception. I will of course follow up on your comments with my banqueting team as a priority to discuss further.

Thank you for your comments regarding the venue itself being stunning and also the great service you experienced. Now in its 114th year, the hotel exudes a timeless elegance which is very special. Constant reinvestment in our product (e.g. our new brasserie/bar due to open in the next couple of months) as well as the dedicated and talented team we have working here ensure we are operating at the very highest level within our industry.

I very much hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Balmoral in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

The Balmoral was an excellent treat that, while expensive, proved itself to be worth the money.

Needing three rooms and disabled friendly access we decided to scout some of Edinburgh’s hotels during an earlier visit. Despite looking for some time, we felt that the Balmoral staff were the friendliest, most helpful and overall most enthusiastic about hosting us during our stay. The review will split the hotel experience into three parts; the rooms, food and drink and finally the spa.

My first piece of advice would be to take a refurbished room or any room avoiding an ‘internal’ view. We got allocated two of these internal rooms and they were dark and felt below the standard of the rest of the hotel. We voiced these concerns with the hotel and they were very helpful in moving us into much brighter and refurbished rooms which were tastefully designed. So, despite the initial disappointment, we felt very happy with rooms we ended up in.

The food was again strong and consistent with the quality of a good hotel. While I would only recommend a single meal at Hadrian’s, especially as the refurbishment has relocated the restaurant to a basement room, the food was still good. The breakfast was also delicious and a brilliant way to start the morning. The whiskey bar is also a must try and a true tribute to Scottish history and culture.

Despite not having a treatment the spa was a lovely location and I believed the staff there were the friendliest, most helpful and overall the best ambassadors for the hotel. The pool and sauna circuit is a must while the gym provides an excellent setting for exercise. I would highly recommend a personal trainer session as well.

Overall, a great stay and I would thoroughly recommend if you are looking to treat yourselves in one of Edinburgh’s most famous addresses.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank Fergmcl

Dear Fergmcl

It was with great pleasure that I read your review and thank you for sharing your account of your stay at The Balmoral with other TA users.

I have worked within this fine industry all over the world and agree wholeheartedly with your comments about the fantastic ladies and gentlemen who work here with us. I can truly say that they are a world class team with incredibly high standards of care and attention to each and every one of our guests. This was highlighted perfectly in your review with reference to your room change. I am delighted this was arranged and that the team swiftly turned around your initial disappointment.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the food and beverage offerings within the hotel. We are incredibly excited about our new brasserie and bar which is due to open within the next couple of months and I do hope you will return once the renovations are complete. We are thrilled to be joining forces with culinary legends Alain Roux and his father Michel Roux OBE and there is great anticipation of this exciting addition to the Edinburgh restaurant scene.

Please know that your comments regarding the Spa were very much appreciated and will be forwarded to the Spa team, who I know will appreciate you sharing your kind impressions.

Thank you once again for posting. I hope we will have the great pleasure of welcoming you back to The Balmoral in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 29 March 2018

booked a room as a surprise for my husbands 60th birthday but when arrived at check in we were upgraded to a suite.we were totally overwhelmed by the gesture and had a truly amazing experience.the staff were totally professional and could not do enough for us.i cant wait for a return visit.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank janicekane64
Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

this is the gem in Edinburgh, a luxury beyond expectations. We had so nice stay at this hotel with a so nice dining experience. If you are up for nice luxury in a very nice package this is a must for you. This is the hotel you dream about with the so nice watch telling the time 3 minuets to early so you don’t miss your train.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple