eDreams
ZenHotels.com
StayForLong
FindHotel
Hurb
All reviews boutique hotel junior suite georgian townhouse lovely boutique top floor beautiful hotel full scottish breakfast listed building carlton hill quiet street small hotel breakfast was delicious city centre tea and coffee stayed for nights definitely stay here again porridge
Selected filters
Reviewed 9 March 2020

Having spent the last 8 years travelling to Edinburgh I've stayed in may hotels, serviced apartments etc. Knowing the area very well decided to try a smaller boutique hotel for my shorter visits and fell upon 24 Royal Terrace. The hotel is really comfortable and friendly. There is a small selection of food if you decide to dine in but not extensive. The breakfasts are great. The full Scottish breakfast is fab and i struggle to finish it - and i can eat! The rooms are lovely with great views and the building itself is a perfect example of of Georgian (i think) architecture that makes Edinburgh so special. Royal Terrace is probably one of the best streets in Edinburgh with everything on your doorstep. Athur's Seat is a short stride away and Carlton Hill is even closer where you will find the best views over Edinburgh and over the Leith . In short- great little hotel, in a great location. I will defiantly be making it my first choice for me next short visit in a couple of weeks

Date of stay: February 2020
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Jonathan Melville, General Manager at 24 Royal Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2020

Dear B S,

Many thanks for sharing your feedback.

We're glad that you gave a smaller boutique hotel a try and that you enjoyed your stay here at 24 Royal Terrace.

It's great to hear that you will be returning once more in a couple of weeks, we look forward to seeing you.

All the best,

Reviewed 5 March 2020

It is quite a novelty to stay in any Scottish hotel, far less one in Edinburgh, and not see the walls bedecked with pictures of ‘hielan coos’ and highlanders in ‘traditional’ attire. The art (and it IS art no, matter what some might think) could not be further from an illustrated Walter Scott novel if you tried. My wife was surprised to see some works by a particular artist she has an indirect, but interesting, link with.

However, enough about the art, what about the hotel? Wonderful is the first word the comes to mind. Elegant, stylish, a cut-above are others. I had chosen a deluxe room and was not disappointed. I won’t go into all the details, but suffice to say it fully met all expectations and exceeded several more.

The staff are exceedingly polite, helpful and professional and gave the impression of being totally relaxed and in control. It was also nice to see a ‘proper’ bar in a small hotel like this with a selection of draught beers and the inevitable, but understandable, wide range of whiskeys. Too often smallish hotels just make a token effort to provide a bar and you are left feeling you have put the staff out by wanting a drink, not so here.

So, I would have had no compunction in giving full marks to the hotel and would have felt it churlish to make any negative remark whatsoever, had we not decided to partake of breakfast!

I do not usually have breakfast in hotels, especially when on social trips. They tend to be overpriced and underwhelming, and my preference is to find a local café nearby. However, it was pouring with rain and when we checked-in the receptionist was very effusive about their breakfast, so we decided to take the risk.

Oh dear!

Firstly, let me say that the basic breakfast items (cereal, yoghurt, juices, croissants) were perfectly acceptable and had we stuck with those we might have left reasonably happy, despite the £12 per person charge. However, my wife opted for the porridge and I opted for the ‘full Scottish’. As I am Scottish, and my wife is Irish we are no strangers to porridge and we both learned a very long time ago that there is some cooking involved in its preparation. It is not enough to just pour hot milk over porridge oats, all you get then is a sort of warm muesli.

In my ‘full Scottish’ I received:

A slice of black pudding that was one of the best I have had, so the basic ingredients were of obvious quality.

A slab of overtoasted sourdough that even the fat oozing from the bacon couldn’t soften

Two rashers of streaky bacon that seemed to have been left over from the day before.

A potato pancake that had the texture of a Jacobs cream cracker.

A very unpleasant sausage made even more unpleasant by the fact it wasn’t cooked.

A pile of something that was supposed to be scrambled eggs. I have had some bad hotel scrambled eggs in my time, but these have got to be the worst! Based on the fact that they were four different colours I am guessing that at least two eggs with different coloured yolks were involved. If you are not capable of mixing eggs together then you have an uphill challenge in actually cooking them. When my wife expressed her disappointment to the waitress she apologised and explained ‘the chef was new’. In my experience of the catering trade in Scotland this usually means the chef didn’t turn up because he was drunk/got poached by another establishment/got arrested/got beaten up by the housemaid's husband. As a result, the teenager who normally washes the pots has to cook breakfast. Anyway, it wasn’t a disaster, basically just another overpriced hotel breakfast. Nevertheless, we filled up on toast, cereal and a very nice fruit salad and left sufficiently fed, if a little disappointed.

So, to summarise, a fantastic hotel that I have no hesitation recommending and would happily stay in again. Just think twice before having breakfast.

Date of stay: February 2020
2  Thank David S

Dear David S,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback. I'm glad that the majority of you stay surpassed your expectations.

I am sorry you had an unfavourable experience during your breakfast. As you will see from the majority of our recent reviews our individually prepared plated breakfast is something we take great pride, so your experience something we take very seriously. On the whole our guests are more than satisfied and we receive positive feedback both on review sites and verbally from the guests themselves. I'm sorry to hear that we appear to have dropped the ball on this occasion. Given the polite and professional service which you reference of our fantastic staff, I hope that you were able to bring this to their attention straight away to give us the opportunity to fix the problems for you. As you mention the produce we use in all of our breakfasts is of high quality and along with the services we provide and the hot drinks and juices included we feel our pricing represents great value for money for breakfast in Edinburgh.

I hope that we are able to welcome you back to 24 Royal Terrace in the future and I am confident that you would have a positive breakfast experience.

Kind regards,
Jonathan Melville

Reviewed 2 March 2020 via mobile

Fantastic hotel. Can’t fault it. We were upgraded to the junior suite and it was stunning. Breakfast the next morning was great and the staff were really helpful and welcoming. I would recommend this hotel for a trip to Edinburgh. It’s also a five minute walk to the Playhouse

Date of stay: March 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Jonathan Melville, General Manager at 24 Royal Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2020

Hello Andrew M,

Many thanks for your great feedback. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your upgrade and mad the most of our fantastic breakfast!

Very much appreciate your recommendation, that is very kind indeed.

Hopefully we will welcome you back to 24 Royal Terrace soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 2 March 2020

Stayed 3 nights and were not disappointed. The room was clean and comfortable and a good size. The bed was extremely comfortable and the bathroom was nicely set out. We didn't take any meals during our stay due to our schedule but we did sample their lovely homemade mince pies each day. The hotel is certainly a feast for the eyes with all the art work on show. The only point we would make is that we were on the top floor so had to negotiate the stairs several times a day. This might be an issue for some guests. The chap on Reception quite happily took our cases up for us.

Date of stay: December 2019
2  Thank LDGK90

Hello LDGK90,

Thank you for your positive feedback!

We are extremely happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We're glad you sampled our delicious mince pies which are a lovely treat over the Christmas period. Hopefully if you visit us again you would be able to try our breakfasts as well.

We appreciate that the stairs can be a bit difficult but we think the views are worth it from the top floor and they give us lots of wall space to show our private art collection! I'm glad we could make the stairs easier for you by taking your luggage.

Hopefully if you return to Edinburgh we will be able to welcome you back to 24 Royal Terrace.

All the best,

Reviewed 28 February 2020

We found the hotel by chance a few years earlier, after a city walk. They looked after us very well as we were tired and in need of refreshment.
We decided that if we ever visited Edinburgh again we would stay there. We were not disappointed. The staff are all very friendly and helpful. I was slightly embarrassed when a young receptionist carried our heavy suitcases up 4 flights of stairs to our room at the top of the house. It had a lovely view of the long narrow garden at the rear, set out with chairs for warmer days. Could imagine relaxing there with a glass of wine (other drinks are available!).
Although there is no restaurant on the premises, they do provide snacks. We found these most acceptable after a day of tourism, which included a good lunch. So, again, just what we required. Breakfast was also good.
One of the main features of this boutique hotel is its large collection of contemporary art, some of which are quite amusing (I'll let you discover that for yourself!).
The location is perfect if you require an hotel within short walking distance (15 minutes) of the centre of Edinburgh. It could certainly be said to be off the beaten track. It is situated in an attractive Georgian terrace.

Date of stay: December 2019

Hello Robert W,

Firstly thank you for returning to 24 Royal Terrace, it is always a pleasure to welcome back a familiar face, and thank you for sharing your review.

We're very happy to hear that your return visit lived up to your expectations and we hope that there will be more in the future, maybe you will be able to enjoy that glass of wine in the garden!

All the very best,