“Charming - and good value”
Review of Ruth's Kitchen - CLOSED

Ruth's Kitchen
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: email: ruthshannon123@btinternet.com, tel: 0131 453 4343 We came across this really lovely tea shop on Sunday afternoon - did not expect to find anywhere like this in Juniper Green! The cakes were out of this world - delicious scones, lovely chocolate cake. The tea was beautifully served - not tea bags but leaf tea in a pot with a strainer and pretty cups. Daughter had a bacon, brie and cranberry toastie and rated it very highly indeed. Ruth was very friendly and helpful - even gave me the recipe for the scones! The other people in the cafe were also most enthusiastic about the cakes they had had. Definitely recommended. Their card says "specializing in home baking, freshly prepared lunches, specialized theme evenings (we saw a sign for an Indian evening), outside catering for any event".
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Popped in here this morning while we took a break from walking long the Water of Leith.

Received a warm welcom and loved the beautiful mismatched crockery and general ambience.

We had a small cafetiere between two, a hot chocolate, a home-made fruit scone - with generous helpings of butter and jam - and home-made trout pâté with oatcakes and salad garnish.
The total bill was just over £10.
Very good value.
We'll definitely be back.

Reviewed 5 May 2013

I met some old friends for lunch at Ruth's Kitchen today. The surroundings and service seemed pleasant enough. One of my friends and I thought we would begin with the home-made lentil soup.
The first thing we noticed that the consistency was "gloopy" - it was so thick that the spoon would almost have stood up in it. That would have been fine, had it been tasty. But I can honestly say that I have never tasted soup which had less flavour - I added lots of pepper, but it was completely bland.
My friend and I looked at one another, and agreed that this was like commercial baby food, of an exceptionally tasteless variety. Quite hard to understand since not exactly a difficult soup to make.
We tried, but couldn't eat it. I didn't like to make too much of a public fuss, as there were some of our group I didn't know quite so well, and I didn't want to spoil the occasion.
So we moved on to coffee (which was also quite ordinary), as the soup experience had put me off the idea of eating anything else.
When the waiter came to remove our (half-full) bowls, we quietly told him that we had found the soup inedible, and explained why. He apologised, and took it away.
While we were drinking our coffee, he came back to ask us if we would like some tomato soup. We both felt, by this time, well past beginning another bowl of differently flavoured soup, so we thanked him and declined.
When I paid the bill, I found myself quite speechless when I was charged nearly £10 for the two bowls of soup we could not eat, a very ordinary coffee, and a herbal tea. The person who took my money was the waiter who had removed the half-full bowls, and I honestly just could not believe that he would think it ok to charge full price in these circumstances.
As soon as I left the cafe and said goodbye to my friends, I was kicking myself for my stupidity in having paid. I think it was due to having been taken by surprise when charged for it, and also not wanting to embarrass my friends, who had suggested going there in the first place.
When I got home I phoned the cafe, and spoke to a lady whom I am presuming was Ruth. What a disappointing conversation! She said that she was sorry, and that she had added more stock to her remaining lentil soup after our complaint about the lack of taste.
And she also said several times that she had told the waiter to offer us tomato soup instead.
Then she said that she had not realised that the waiter was going to charge us for the tasteless soup (although had clearly not told him not to).
In the end Ruth's best offer was that I should call in for a free bowl of soup when I am next passing her restaurant. Unfortunately I'll not be taking her up on this offer, as I will certainly only be passing, rather than actually calling in again. Actually feeling quite irritable about this experience - I would recommend that others try the one or two other nearby local cafes where they are less likely to be over-charged for poor quality food.

2  Thank Alison069
Reviewed 30 April 2013 via mobile

8 of us dropped in after a cold walk needing tea and cake. Just exactly what we needed. Good home cooked cakes, excellent tea with bone china cups and plates.
Nothing was too much trouble, including putting tables and chairs together to make a large table for us all.

Reviewed 31 March 2013

We have indulged in Ruth's delicious home baking-just try the courgette cake!-on several afternoon outings but she has now turned her hand to fine dining evenings which are clearly a big hit. For £18.95 you can enjoy 3 courses of superb freshly produced dishes with coffee to follow. What's more there's no scrimping on the food on offer--lemon sole served with scallops in Dill sauce being a typical example. Vegetarians also catered for. Even more impressive is a complimentary dish of hors d'oeuvres and warm bread to start. The restaurant operates a byob policy with no corkage charge so the evening is really good value. Service is provided by a very friendly highly professional waiter who clearly knows the business--not over attentive but always there when needed.The ambience is just right too,cosy, with candles on all the tables. We're looking forward to Ruth's next evening in April

1  Thank 70yvonne70
Reviewed 28 February 2013 via mobile

Popped in here with the wife for a coffee and a few snacks to fuel us on a long drive to Glasgow airport. Had a latte and a mocha. Week, not enough sugar and definitely service without a smile. The 2cake/snack treats were poor too. I have had better coffee out the Costa coffee machine down the road at the petrol station.

1  Thank Simon Y