“Well Worth a Visit”
Review of Ruth's Kitchen - CLOSED

Ruth's Kitchen
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: email: ruthshannon123@btinternet.com, tel: 0131 453 4343 We came across this really lovely tea shop on Sunday afternoon - did not expect to find anywhere like this in Juniper Green! The cakes were out of this world - delicious scones, lovely chocolate cake. The tea was beautifully served - not tea bags but leaf tea in a pot with a strainer and pretty cups. Daughter had a bacon, brie and cranberry toastie and rated it very highly indeed. Ruth was very friendly and helpful - even gave me the recipe for the scones! The other people in the cafe were also most enthusiastic about the cakes they had had. Definitely recommended. Their card says "specializing in home baking, freshly prepared lunches, specialized theme evenings (we saw a sign for an Indian evening), outside catering for any event".
Reviewed 11 February 2013

Ruth's Kitchen is one of those small tea rooms that provides its patrons with a wide range of breakfasts, light lunches and afternoon teas, all prepared in house to the highest standards, I cannot imagine a better baked fruit scone! But, the best thing about the place is its ambience; with its odd collection of fine china and ill matched furniture it summons memories of a time that probably only exist within the imagination.
However, Ruth Shannon is an established cook and food writer with a background in catering for parties and sporting events, and on certain occasions will keep her doors open beyond the usual closing time for an evening of dining. Here she serves ample portions from a small menu, which might lack the complexity of some of the better city centre restaurants, but all of which are cooked to perfection, at a price where the whole dinner cost less than that of a main course in town. There is also the added advantage that as the establishment does not have a drinks licence you can bring your own bottle and enjoy a fine wine without having to pay the outrageous "mark-up" usually charged.
Situated at the Currie end of Juniper Green, a 44 bus will practically deliver you to the door. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 21 November 2012

We had lunch at Ruth's Kitchen after a graduation ceremony at Heriot Watt University that morning. After we had taken place, there was not one single seat left. Therefore, it took some time until we were served, however, that was totally allright.
Everything ordered was very fine whether the soup, the sandwich, the meals from the daily menu, or the different cakes along with coffee and tea. We would certainly come back again - unfortunately it's too far from Germany!!

Reviewed 5 November 2012

The idea of this little cafe/bistro is wonderful, all food made on the premises, fresh, local, etc, but it sadly falls through in the delivery.
The tables set with old china is a nice idea, but surely these should be removed from the tables when the order is finally (!) brought to the table as there is then a distinct lack of taste.
The coffee was tasteless, the answer to both a latte and a cappucino is a large cup of milky coffee. No froth, no attempt to make at least the former with shots of espresso or the likes. If you are not able to cater for these orders, then just don't put it on the menu !
The plates are obviously prepared ahead in the kitchen with the salad garnish and our had sat there for so long (11am on Sat morning) that the cucumber looked very dry and the whole affair sad.
The prices are ok, but then I want a decent coffee and my order freshly made.
Underwhelmed and won't be back, sorry.

3  Thank Notstandingstill
Reviewed 13 October 2012

My friend and I stopped in here for a break an we ordered a caffetiere of coffee for two and two bacon and egg rolls. The coffee was excellent and we finished the whole jug which could probably have served four people. The bacon and eggs were well cooked and we left satisfied with what we had consumed and with the friendly service.

I do agree with some of the others that it is probably a bit more expensive than other places but this is a small, local business and I was happy to pay the bill and leave a tip at the end. We enjoyed being in Ruth's Kitchen and I would recommend some low volume ambient music (maybe classical) to give it a more rounded experience as it is easier to tune into staff conversations in the silence of a small establishment.

Well done to Ruth.

Reviewed 8 September 2012

Dropped into Ruth's Kitchen again after my stint as a trader at the Balerno Farmers' Market. I had a lovely chicken, avocado and lemon mayonnaise sandwich, carrot cake and a pot of tea. Very good value at just over £8. Friendly and quick service and Ruth remembered me from my last visit in April. This is now my regular lunch stop whenever I am at Balerno. Just love the china cups and vintage decor as well as a browse through the Country Living magazines.

1  Thank DoonhamerScotland