“Great hotel, just out of city centre”

Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West
Ranked #88 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Came over to stay for a friends birthday and didn't want to drive. Great rate booked through Holiday Inn website. Check in was easy as we had prepaid. Lovely room overlooking castle. Couple of drinks in bar before we went out but quite expensive. Breakfast was great. Nice to see breakfast chef chatting to guests. Checked out just before 12. Look forward to coming back

• Stayed: February 2012
Chris L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2012

Dear reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on tripadvisor regarding your recent stay in the hotel. I was really pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon. Tip for your next visit - I would recommend that you join our Priority Club rewards scheme that entitles you to a 10% discount in the F&B outlets which you can take advantage of as soon as you join.

Look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best regards

Chris Lynch

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West

Reviewed 11 February 2012

Just had a 3 night stay here and had some very positive experiences and some quite negative ones too. I'd booked a double room and had requested top floor on front of hotel after other reviewers had raved about the views. Requested top floor as my 3G internet always works better higher up in hotels. As it happens I was allocated a room on floor 3 of 6 on the back of the hotel, the internet connection was fine and I was given an upgrade to a 'mini-suite' which was lovely and more than made up for being on back of hotel rather than front. I was also given a voucher for a free glass of wine or beer and as someone else mentioned, I'm guessing this was to do with being a Priority Club Member.

Mini Suite had 2 large flat screen TV's, nice bathroom, good desk with great fab chair and some comfy furniture. The one grumble regarding the room was that I found the duvet woefully thin and I got quite cold the first night. Couldn't leave the 'heating' on at night as the room had one of those combo heater/air conditioning units that blows either hot or cold air in and is quite noisy. Fortunately had a thick blanket in the car which did the job next two nights.

As for the service, the check-in and check-out were good - efficient and courteous. I did get a knock on my room door at 07:20 first morning (was just climbing in the shower) - one of breakfast servers bringing me room service which I hadn't ordered. No big deal and she made a point of coming over to me during breakfast to apologise which was nice.

I found the breakfast service inconsistent - had poached eggs twice and first time they were hard, second time perfect. Also no mushrooms second day for some reason.

I had an all inclusive dinner, bed and breakfast deal and first night dinner was not good. Restaurant felt cold, explanation of what I was entitled to as part of the all inclusive deal was terrible ("you can only choose main courses that are priced £12 and under" - had to ask for further clarification as that left about 2 choices. Another server explained it was all options that had next to them a black spot with an 'S', denoting 'set menu'). Food wasn't great and the custard that came with my desert (which I'd waited a while for) was cold. Sent it back and it returned hardly any warmer, if at all. I gave up at that point and eat it as wanted to get out of there.

Next two nights couldn't have been more different. I wasn't looking forward to eating there again, but a different waitress was on - Emma - and she was fantastic. Introduced herself, used my name, explained all options clearly and was attentive and genuine throughout and SMILED lots. She had that rare quality of making you feel special. Food was also much improved next two nights. Would say second night was excellent, 3rd night good and so a real mixed bag as far as the restaurant and food is concerned.

The one other plus was that I was able to watch the live football in the bar on the second night on ESPN which the barman sorted out for me on request.

So, overall very good but with one or two improvements it could so easily have been great.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Rick B
Claire F, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2012

Thank you for all your feedback, without it there's really no way we can look to improve.

I will pass your comments on to your waitress Emma as she is always satisfied when a customer leaves happy with her service. With regards to the first night you ate with us, I apologise for the service you received and will need to investigate this further to find out who your waiter/waitress and maybe look at doing some extra training with them.

As you are a priority club member, the reception upgraded your room type for you to give you a bigger room with extras, including the drinks voucher, hot chocolate and a Kit Kat. These rooms are all at the back of the hotel however which is why you did not get the castle view.

About the duvet cover, we are aware there are a few that are thinning, the housekeeping manager is in the process of changing them all, the room you were in just unfortunately hasn't been changed over yet.

Thank you again for your comments, please don't hesitate to come back in the future.

Kind regards

Claire

Reviewed 11 February 2012

Spent two nights here on business. Thursday and Friday night. Cost was £60 for the Thursday night and £77 for the Friday night. Hotel has a good lot of free parking and is just across the road from a Sainsbury's. Foyer is well presented and lounge bar a restaurant is also very nice. Room I had was quite big....double bed, sofabed in another room off the bedroom, bathroom was the usual size. Room had two TVs. Very good size, well presented. Had two bottles of water and a chunky kit kat left for me which was nice. Overall a very good stay and pleasant experience. Staff were helpful and courteous. Would stay again but you probably do need transport to get to and from the hotel. Breakfast was also good...they cooked your eggs for you so you didn't have the usual terminally ill eggs left cooked for 20 minutes on the breakfast bar.

Room Tip: View from rooms at the front of the hotel from higher floors is probably quite spectacular....lookin...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your comments, I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

Hope you will return to see us in the future. If so you can get a 41 bus from the city centre that will bring you to the hotel in just 10minutes.

Kind Regards

Claire

Reviewed 18 January 2012

I've stayed at the Holiday Inn Edinburgh City West twice in th past 6 months. I travel to Edinburgh from time to tome for work. I stayed in the Jnr. suite which was spacious (I do yoga in the morning and so really appreciate extra floor space!). It had a desk area where I could do my work, which was handy.
The two things that I enjoyed in particular were the food and the friendly staff. I had dinner and breakfast at the hotel. Also, it was very quiet in the evening, it is not a noisy part of time, so I could get plenty of rest, which was great.
Thanks to the team there for making my stay enjoyable.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Lazeen
Claire F, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2012

Thank you for your review of the hotel, I'm very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, I hope you will come and see us again sometime soon. Claire

Reviewed 10 January 2012

I spent three nights at the Queensferry Road Holiday Inn in Edinburgh and loved it. First, be sure you don't confuse the different Holiday Inns, as some other Trip Advisor reviewers have done. I have stayed in two different ones (this is NOT the one near the zoo) and another which is now a Holiday Inn Express (near the royal yacht Britannia). Don't be confused. This one is not in the old town, but it has a public bus stop just in front of the hotel, and you can ride the 41 bus to George IV bridge and Waverly Station in 10 minutes for 1 pound 30 pence! I took a cab from Waverly when I arrived by train with luggage and the cost was about 10 pounds. There is a shopping center walking distance across the street with a Sainsbury's super market and a Marks & Spencer for food. I did not try the restaurant and my deal did not include breakfast. But the room was spotless, the bed very comfortable, the bathroom convenient, and the channel selection on television complete. In room WiFi was expensive (if you buy three days it averages 10 pounds per day; more expensive for shorter stays) but it was fast and acceptable considering the price of the room. I was very satisfied.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank Awarely
Chris L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Edinburgh City - West, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2012

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your informative review following your recent stay with us. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel comfortable and enjoyable. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind Regards