Kildonan Lodge Hotel
  • Room Service
USD 104*
USD 80*
Agoda.com
All reviewshonesty barcomplimentary sherryfour poster bedspa bathcity centreblack watchshortbread biscuitsday ticketsmall hotelbus servicesitting roomfrequent buseslovely hotelmain roadminute bus ridefree car parkleave the car
Reviewed 19 January 2012

We have stayed at the Kildonan Lodge a few times in the past couple of years for short weekend breaks to Edinburgh. The hotel is traditionally furnished to a high standard and the rooms are elegant and comfortable, with nice touches such as DAB radios and complimentary sherry and shortbread to sample. The staff have always been friendly and helpful with advice about transport and what's on in town. The hearty breakfast selection is always enjoyable and there is a comfortable lounge to relax in if you need it.

The hotel is conveniently situated on the edge of central Edinburgh. It's easier to hop on a bus than drive into the city or its a pleasant stroll on a nice day.

As per the title, this is our favourite Edinburgh hotel for a short getaway and we don't even bother looking elsewhere now! We stayed in the small four-poster room on our most recent visit and I earned a lot of brownie points for that!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MightyKozaks
Reviewed 11 January 2012

I stayed here with my partner in August to attend a concert. Unfortunately because the edinburgh festival was on the price was for peak season which I feel was on expensive side. I stayed in Peebles the next night in four star hotel on DBB rate for only £14 more than our B&B rate here. however out with these prices it would be a value for money place to stay.

In saying this i really enjoyed my stay, the check in gril was lovely and even remebered to ask about our concert the next day. The hotel was beautiful inside and I only wish I had got the chance to enjoy sometime in the lounge.

The room was very spacious and the bed was huge and very comfy.

I will consider staying here if in edinburgh again and would recommend to others

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 November 2011

My husband had business in Edinburgh so we took the opportunity to grab a long weekend away. As my husband had driven up during the week I flew up on the Thursday night to meet him. I had chosen Kildonan Lodge for its reviews, closeness to the city centre and the quirkiness of the photos I had seen.
We were not disappointed. Staff are very friendly and helpful and advised us of bus routes/numbers we needed for easier access to the city.
Room was lovely with a four poster bed and spa bath. Everywhere was very clean. Complimentary sherry and shortcakes in the room was a lovely touch.
Breakfast was tasty and filling and plenty of choices. Honesty bar is a plus and the lounge area is comfortable and enticing, after a day of walking round the castle.
We ate in the hotel restaurant on the Saturday evening and was very pleased we had decided to stay in. Starters were delicious and our main courses were superb.
Didn't want to leave on Sunday, and we will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Chezzabella
Reviewed 25 November 2011

We stayed there as part of a group for a work related event. Everyone seemed to enjoy the friendly staff, the honesty bar, and the rooms were well maintained. Breakfast was a typical Scottish breakfast, but nicely served. The sitting room was cosy and welcoming, but i'm sure the Hotel Inspector might have suggested a bit of decluttering.
For value for money it was a great find, and on the bus route into Edinburgh, with a bus every few minutes. I would be happy to stay here again

Room Tip: As the hotel faces onto a busy main road it may be an idea to ask for a rear facing room, or a lodge room
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 September 2011

We selected this B&B because of its proximity to Pollock Halls. The location is fine. The staff is friendly and helpful. We needed a converter and they kindly lent one. We enjoyed the breakfasts but, they were not as nice as many others. As for our room, it was not what we had expected. It was on the 3rd floor and it was a bit small yet, they had a queen bed and a single for our son. In all the value was fine - just, nothing to be excited about. Will we return? I don't know. I will look around at other B&B's and see what is out there.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family