All reviews honesty bar complimentary sherry four poster bed spa bath city centre shortbread biscuits day ticket bus service main road minute bus ride lovely hotel small hotel free car park leave the car the main hotel visiting edinburgh excellent stay
Reviewed 7 August 2011

We spent four days at the KIldonan Lodge Hotel in July 2011, and we will certainly be back. The staff were helpful, knowedgable and friendly, especially as we often had to ask directions for locations in Edinburgh that were a bit 'off the beaten track'. The room (ours was on the lower level) was very comfortable and our first-ever proper Scottish breakfast was very tasty. Thoroughly recommended!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2011

I had visited Edinburgh several times before but wanted something special this time - it was time to ask my fiance to commit for a lifetime with me. The Kildonan had been recommended to me and came up to the mark in everything I could have imagined. It was an excellent time - the service, the accommodation, the ambience, and a good price too. My fiance agreed to marry me so what more could I ask for? I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for excellent service, super accommodation and service which is way above what we would normally expect in the UK- and at a good price. We're now planning to have our wedding in the Kildonan next year - what more can I say!! Many thanks to the KIldonan for making our visit memorable!

Room Tip: The room was first class and had everything we needed.
3  Thank Callumespecially
Reviewed 5 August 2011

This is the most romantic hotel I have ever stayed in! We absolutely loved the beautiful 4-poster bed and thoroughly enjoyed the spa bath. The staff are so friendly and helpful and arranged chocolates and champagne for our room. Our room had beautiful high ceilings and some gorgeous features but was very modern with a very up-to-date TV.
The lounge area is so relaxing and we just loved having a drink in there before dinner. The food was delicious, the service was great and the atmosphere nice and relaxed.
The car park at the back of the hotel was so handy and if you are lucky with the weather, you can relax in the garden which has tables and chairs for sitting out. It is very easy to get into the city centre as well.

The hotel has so many personal touches which is so rare these days. I would definitely recommend this hotel, especially if you are looking to treat your girlfriend/wife. It truly is very romantic & comfortable.

2  Thank topgun33
Reviewed 5 August 2011

Stayed here as a couple last weekend after booking a late deal. We were delighted to find lots of parking and that the hotel had a really friendly atmosphere, reception staff were very welcoming and helpful in giving us lots of information about the city. The room was lovely, comfortable bed (I liked the romance of the four poster!) as well as a spotless bathroom.

Breakfast in the morning was really good and again the staff were really friendly.

The hotel is only minutes from the centre on a bus (stop just over the road and only £1.30, taxi back wasn't expensive either). There is a nice relaxing lounge too with a bar, which was great after a day on our feet!

All in all we had a really great stay, and it made a nice change from the big chain hotels. I've already booked up for my parents who are visiting the city in a couple of months!

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank yngholiday
Reviewed 21 July 2011

Stayed for one night on the 18/7/11, booked on booking.com at a reduced price due to late booking, and paid more for the exectutive room and king sized bed. We were enticed by the 4 poster bed and jucuzzi bath with a 4 star rated and close to Edinburgh with free parking.

The Hotel looks nice from the outside and very presentable, and our room on the lower ground floor seemed great to start with. We had complemetory sherry and biscuits and the bed seemed very large. We soon went out to discover Edinburgh and came back to get ready for an evening out and wanted to use the Jacuzzi bath. After filling up the bath and reading in the instructions on the wall the button was no where to be found to start the jacuzzi, therefore called reception, only to find only two of the jacuzzi baths work in the hotel and those rooms were taken, so we were disappointed as this is one of the reasons we booked this hotel, for a bit of relaxation, We had no four poster bed either. The room itself was quite dark and very warm, and due to it being on the lower ground floor you can only open one window very slightly which wasnt great.

The next morning we both woke up early hours itching, id been bitten twice on my face, my legs and arms, and my partner had been bitten quite badly up his arm, and these bites still havent gone even today and are just as itchy. We told the reception and they could not understand and gave us a small discount, but there must be fleas or bed bugs to cause such bites, the only good thing about this hotel is the breakfast and free parking as the bus stop is literally accross the road and takes 10 minutes into the town centre.

I would rather pay the full amount to stay in the hotel than be bitten to bits, i think they must an infestation to have as many bites as we had, and to think its a 4 star hotel, id expect to be bitten in a travelodge but not staying in a decent hotel.

3  Thank star7474
KildonanLodgeHotel, Owner at Kildonan Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2011

We are extremely upset by this review. We got this room professionally checked for any infestation immediately on reading this review and we have a certificate to prove that this room is absolutely clear. We have never had any complaints like this before and it is factually incorrect to say that we 'must have an infestation'.

Our executive rooms are not advertised with a spa bath. Some of our rooms do have spa baths but as they don't all have them we do not advertise as such on the portals we use. You booked an executive room which is not a 4-poster room and the differences in rooms are clearly stated on all written material we produce and on all the websites where we appear.

The lock on the window can be removed to allow guests to open it but we have it on there as extra security as most guests prefer this.

We are very glad to see that you appreciated our free private car park, our easy access to the city centre and the breakfast we provide. We have also just had our 4-star status reconfirmed by Visit Scotland.