“Out of the way but not hard to find”

Kildonan Lodge Hotel
Ranked #11 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 18 August 2011

I ended up booking at this hotel as a result of some late decisions when planning my conference-going for this summer, and I was trying to balance a cheap price against actually being able to find my way into the city centre. To my surprise, I managed to satisfy both those conditions at no cost to the quality of the room at all!

This hotel is family run, and it felt very cosy. The room I stayed in was spacious, very high ceiling (so high that the bathroom was in fact contained in a smaller box with a lower ceiling). Very pleasant old-fashioned decor and furniture, but not worn or old in a bad way.

The week I stayed in Edinburgh was quite hot, and the location of this hotel ensured that I could have a quiet night even with the window open.

I am really trying to scrape together some negative points here, as you might suspect:
- there wasn't really anywhere to get a quick bite in the surrounding area, so I had to help myself from some crisps from the "honesty bar" instead.
- Finally, the hotel internet is completely unsecured, which is a bit of a hazard to the casual user (anyone could peek into your facebook account and such if you use it the wrong way).

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank civertson

Reviewed 7 August 2011

We spent four days at the KIldonan Lodge Hotel in July 2011, and we will certainly be back. The staff were helpful, knowedgable and friendly, especially as we often had to ask directions for locations in Edinburgh that were a bit 'off the beaten track'. The room (ours was on the lower level) was very comfortable and our first-ever proper Scottish breakfast was very tasty. Thoroughly recommended!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2011

I had visited Edinburgh several times before but wanted something special this time - it was time to ask my fiance to commit for a lifetime with me. The Kildonan had been recommended to me and came up to the mark in everything I could have imagined. It was an excellent time - the service, the accommodation, the ambience, and a good price too. My fiance agreed to marry me so what more could I ask for? I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for excellent service, super accommodation and service which is way above what we would normally expect in the UK- and at a good price. We're now planning to have our wedding in the Kildonan next year - what more can I say!! Many thanks to the KIldonan for making our visit memorable!

Room Tip: The room was first class and had everything we needed.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Callumespecially
Reviewed 5 August 2011

This is the most romantic hotel I have ever stayed in! We absolutely loved the beautiful 4-poster bed and thoroughly enjoyed the spa bath. The staff are so friendly and helpful and arranged chocolates and champagne for our room. Our room had beautiful high ceilings and some gorgeous features but was very modern with a very up-to-date TV.
The lounge area is so relaxing and we just loved having a drink in there before dinner. The food was delicious, the service was great and the atmosphere nice and relaxed.
The car park at the back of the hotel was so handy and if you are lucky with the weather, you can relax in the garden which has tables and chairs for sitting out. It is very easy to get into the city centre as well.

The hotel has so many personal touches which is so rare these days. I would definitely recommend this hotel, especially if you are looking to treat your girlfriend/wife. It truly is very romantic & comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank topgun33
Reviewed 5 August 2011

Stayed here as a couple last weekend after booking a late deal. We were delighted to find lots of parking and that the hotel had a really friendly atmosphere, reception staff were very welcoming and helpful in giving us lots of information about the city. The room was lovely, comfortable bed (I liked the romance of the four poster!) as well as a spotless bathroom.

Breakfast in the morning was really good and again the staff were really friendly.

The hotel is only minutes from the centre on a bus (stop just over the road and only £1.30, taxi back wasn't expensive either). There is a nice relaxing lounge too with a bar, which was great after a day on our feet!

All in all we had a really great stay, and it made a nice change from the big chain hotels. I've already booked up for my parents who are visiting the city in a couple of months!

• Stayed: July 2011