“Great Location for Sightseeing”
Review of The Scotsman Hotel

The Scotsman Hotel
Ranked #78 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We recently spent a weekend in Edinburgh and stayed at the Scotsman Hotel. It is in a great city centre spot for seeing all of the sights of Edinburgh. We don't get away from work very often so I decided to book a 5 star hotel with spa facilities. I picked this hotel based on some of the great reviews I had seen in Trip Advisor....on our return I checked again and unfortunately saw some of the ones I had missed before booking! On arrival there were a couple of hiccups with our room. We had booked a suite with a king size bed and extra bed for our daughter. The room we were given, 301, had twin beds and no sign of an extra bed or towels . I asked about this and we were told that it would all be sorted out by the time we returned from our afternoon of sightseeing. However by the time we returned several hour later there was no extra bed or towels and I had to ask again. A fold up bed arrived (still no towels) and looked as if it was fit for the bin. The springs were broken and the whole thing sagged in the middle. Our daughter was certainly not going to have a 5 star sleep so we went down to reception and asked for another bed. They apologised and said that they would get us another one which they put in the room when we were out during the evening. This one was much better and I had to wonder why we didnt get it in the first place. Room 301 we later discovered is above a night club and the music reverberated throughout our room until 3am. Having read another review about this room I am extremely disappointed that we were put into this room, especially with a young child. The following morning we were moved at our request to another room. This room was on the 9th floor and well away from ground level noise. We visited the Spa during out stay and found the staff here didn't match those elsewhere in the hotel. The long blonde haired female member of staff at the Spa reception could not have cared less about us and ushered us up the stairs without any explanation as to how to get to the pool or even that towels and robes were available for our use. Thankfully she was the only member of staff who fell well short of 5 star. The rest of the staff from the front door to reception (Michelle) and the brasserie staff were first class. The food in the brasserie was lovely and nothing was too much trouble. Although overall our stay was nice I was disappointed that we had to 'complain' as it's not something we like to do and the decor in our rooms was tired looking, the pillows were old and saggy, the carpet had a large stain (iron bru?) which had a rug pulled over it and overall it needed a fresh coat of paint. I would agree with the other reviewer who said 5 star staff in 2 star rooms.

Room Tip: Dont take 301,,,its above a night club which is on until 3am....unless of course you want to dance t...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank HolidaymakersGlasgow
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, General Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2012

Thank you very much for your review regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments, and would like to take this opportunity firstly to apologise as well as responding to the points you have made.

I believe that I have already written to you personally with regards to your disappointment in the additional bed we supplied you and I would like to reiterate my sincere apologies in relation to this; the bed should, I agree, have been checked more carefully prior to your arrival and I am sorry that it was not. We always endeavour to deliver a 5 star standard of service and it is clear that we fell below this during your stay.
As the Scotsman is a City Centre hotel we are, unfortunately subject to the noise pollution of a busy Capital City. Throughout the rooms and public areas of the hotel we have made every effort; such as double glazing and appropriate sound proofing to try and ensure our guests are not disturbed during their stay. I was pleased to hear that we were able to accommodate you in another room and that it was at the high standard at which we pride ourselves.
I was not previously aware of your dissatisfaction with the receptionist in the Spa and I am sorry that her service did not meet your personal expectations. I have already addressed your comments with my Leisure Manager, Charlie Reekie and he has noted these on his regular training sessions with his team.

I am concerned to hear that you left our hotel with the opinion of “5 star staff, 2 star rooms;” we proudly maintain our 5 star status with the AA, Leading Hotels of the World and Visit Scotland and are annually audited on all rooms and facilities by all 3 of these prestigious companies.

I hope that you will perhaps choose to return to the Scotsman in the future

Thomas Graham

Write a ReviewReviews (2,527)

Reviewed 21 February 2012

Stayed here for one night for our wedding anniversary.

We had a good welcome and were very taken with the room - big bay window, gorgeous views, great big tweed curtains etc. A couple of tiny elements were showing a bit of wear and tear, for example the service guide had been torn from its moorings inside its tweedy cover, the rolled-up scroll menu looked a teeny bit crumpled, but on the whole our impression was good.

We had a pre-theatre supper in the bistro and the food was very good - the service a little intrusive but it was early and hey, it's better than being ignored! My husband and I remembered when this building was the newspaper offices; the bistro decor was stunning - I believe it was the original wood panelling and marble.

We had the buffet continental breakfast and it was very good indeed - enjoyed the variety of things to put on our muesli, and especially the fresh fruit.

We also used the spa and it was very relaxing indeed.

On the whole I felt that nothing was too much trouble for the staff. The one thing I thought was a bit odd was when we checked out we weren't given an itemised bill.

Room Tip: Rm 603 has a marvellous view of the Balmoral Hotel, a very fine building, and the rest of Princes St...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

We like to pride ourselves on our professionalism, relaxing atmosphere and service throughout the hotel; I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these and enjoyed your stay.
As you have mentioned, the Scotsman hotel was originally home to the famous Scotsman newspaper and we are very proud that when the renovation took place to become the hotel it is today, a lot of the traditional features were kept. We believe this adds to the originality and quality of our rooms and suites.

I would like to apologise that the menu and room directory in your room were not in pristine condition; unfortunately as I do not have your personal details I am unable to know the specific room number for this however I have already addressed this with my Front of House Manager, Andrew Boe and he has ensured that all rooms have been checked and any replacements made; I would like to apologise that this had not been more carefully checked prior to your arrival.

Our Executive Head Chef, Paul prides himself on delivering innovative ideas along with a traditional Scottish feel to his menus and I am pleased you had the opportunity to enjoy both dinner and breakfast in our Brasserie.

I am sorry that you were not given an itemised bill at check out, it is our normal procedure to offer this to our guests and if you contact me directly with your details I will happily arrange for this to be sent to you.

I hope to welcome you back to the Scotsman in the future

Reviewed 21 February 2012

I stayed with my partner for a weekend break.

The hotel is literally steps from Waverley station. There is a "secret" green door on Market St which gives access to the hotel lift - buzz and they will let you in.

The staff are very friendly and helpful, from the receptionist, doorman, turn down staff and in the restaurant.

We had breakfast in our room the first morning with delicious porridge, pastries, cereal, etc. Each room has a privacy hatch, but room service didn't use them - although the tray did look a little too big to fit the hatch!

We ate in the brasserie and the food was delicious. We were sat on the balcony floor with a fantastic view of the restaurant. The cocktails were good and we could watch the barman mixing them from above!

Our room was a basic one but was a reasonable size with a view across to the Balmoral on Princes St. The windows had secondary glazing and unfortunately there was some noise disturbance during eth night - revellers on Friday night and railway works on Saturday night (the hotel is above the railway staration and I could see the welding and lifting going on on the tracks).

On checkout we were nearly charged for an extra breakfast and some mini-bar items. When pointed out these were removed without fuss, but I do wonder how they got there in the first place. The gentleman chacking out alongside me had a similar issue - check your bill!

We would definitely stay here agin when next in Edinburgh as the location, service and facilities are great.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your letter regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments, and would like to take this opportunity firstly to apologise as well as responding to the points you have made.
We like to deliver a truly 5 star “Scotsman” experience to our guests; our staff always endeavouring to be professional, friendly and offer the very best service at all times, I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these throughout your stay.
Our room service is always delivered to the guest’s door unless specifically requested to be put in the privacy hatch, I am sorry if this arrangement was not made clear to you and I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed a “delicious” breakfast.
The balcony in the Brasserie dates back to when the room was used as the advertising sales centre for the Scotsman Newspaper and as you have said is an enjoyable vantage point for a bit of people watching admiring the fantastic architecture of the room.
I was concerned to hear that you nearly incorrectly charged for items that did not belong to you and was pleased to hear that these were immediately removed; I have already addressed this training issue with my Front of House Manager, Andrew Boe and I would like to apologise for this mistake.
It is always a pleasure to receive our guest’s feedback and to hear that you will be returning to stay with us when you are next in Edinburgh is an added bonus and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Scotsman

Reviewed 20 February 2012

This was our second visit to the Scotsman hotel and will certainly not be our last! The room was stunning, very spacious with lots of character. The location is excellent with easy access to the Royal Mile, Princes Street and the Grassmarket. We had fabulous views towards the Scot monument. The Spa was chic and modern and a pleasure to use. As always the staff throughout were extremely courteous and helpful and made us feel welcome. We cannot recommend the hotel highly enough.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel. As you will be aware, normally avenues such as Trip Advisor are utilised for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.

We are very proud of the fact that each and every one of our staff knows the importance of making our guests feel special and I am pleased to see that you experienced the team’s professionalism and friendliness.

I was happy to hear that not only have you stayed with us previously but that you will be returning to stay with us in the future and we look forward to welcoming you back for another “Scotsman” experience

Reviewed 19 February 2012

The staff are courteous and welcoming and the hotel is well located ...
We stayed in one of the budget rooms and it was huge, lovely big bath and shower..
And views of central edinburgh, the room service was good even when they made errors with orders...
The pool and spa are excellent ...And its lovely to stay in such and old building..
Only downsides giving you courtesy mineral water -the charging you for it- and it was
overly hot over the time we stayed there, but you can always open the windows ..
Would love to go back and book into the upper floors ..
The also have guests lounge and they have great selection of fresh baking there and free teas and coffees you are being billed for that so use it ;)

Room Tip: larger rooms on upper floors all the rooms are quiet double glazed and its a stone building lowers f...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

I was slightly concerned to read that you believed you were staying in one of our “budget” rooms as we certainly would not classify any of our rooms or suites as this. We have 7 categories of rooms from our Study and Deluxe rooms to our Publisher, Director and fantastic Penthouse suites. I am pleased though to hear that you found your room to be of the usual high standard we are proudly known for.
I would like to apologise that “errors” were made with your room service order however from your comments I trust this was resolved quickly and to your satisfaction.
I must admit to being a little confused by your statement about charging you for complimentary water; we service all of our rooms and suites in the evening with a turndown service which includes a complimentary bottle of mineral water left in your room. If there were charges made on your bill these may have related to any items taken from the mini bar and if you would like to contact me directly I will happily investigate this for you and ensure you were correctly billed.
I am sorry that your room was not set at a heating level comfortable to you; I have spoken to my Maintenance Manager, Paul McNamara about this. He has thoroughly checked that the heating system in the room is operating as it should be with localised thermostatic controls. We are however, very aware of the fact that we should have had this room prepared better for your arrival.
With regards to your comments about the residents lounge and “free tea and coffee” again, I am confused by this. We offer our guests the use of our relaxing Vermillion lounge where they can enjoy the use of a business centre, relax in sofas and armchairs and of course order any refreshments from our Brasserie staff to be delivered to the lounge for them; I must respectfully correct you and state that we do not supply nor advertise any free teas, coffees or fresh baking and I am unsure where you have this information from.
I was pleased to hear that you will be returning to the Scotsman in the future and we look forward to welcoming you back