“Very good Hotel”

Ranked #72 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
Lisbon, Portugal
“Very good Hotel”
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I enjoyed my stay very much. It is very well located, even more if you happen to rent a car on the Thrifty car rental of Haymarket rail station. The staff is very friendly. Just watch out for the parking, it is paid!! I parked the car just near the hotel entrance at night, and when I woke up at 9AM I already had a police holding his pen... fortunately, I ran fast enough to take the car before he started writing the ticket :)

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Perhaps a year ago, i would have thought this hotel was fine, however, i think after staying in some fantastic hotels all over europe for this price my standards have changed. The Apex is very average, the outside of the hotel and the lobby are very unappealing, the staff member who greeted us was quite rude, the room service was just awful! Do not order room service here! The beds looked lovely but were sinky in the middle and very uncomfortable. The location is not ideal, it is on a very boring street with no decent eateries close by at all. We dont mind walking, so it was fine, probably a 20min walk to Prince Street. I would not recommend this hotel to a friend or family memberor to you!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 10 January 2012

We stayed here with some family for two nights and found the location good, very nice rooms and very friendly staff. We ony ate breakfast here and found it very good.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SeanLimerick_Ireland
London
Reviewed 1 January 2012

Found the hotel staff to be very helpful from the moment I checked in until I departed. The room was certainly very clean and comfortable. I had an accessible room and pulled the emergency cord while searching for the light and the staff reacted immediately.

Breakfast was good but did not try any other food.

Decent walk into town but saying that it was not too bad.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Amanda B
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 December 2011

We had plans on staying just one night and meeting up with a friend, so we called at the hotel early and staff seemed very helpful, I informed them we would be back quite late and they took our names but we were not able to check in yet as it was too early.
Upon our return at 8 30pm we tried to book in, there was two staff on reception but I waited 25 minutes to be checked in due to both of them being unable to program a key (Swipe card) for me I dont know why this is only done when checking in, surely the keys should be set and ready in the morning for a speedy check-in!
After we got the key off to the room and all seemed well, it looked clean and well maintained and the bed was a comfy king size.
Unfortunately our plan was an early night so we could get up early and have a full day in Edinburgh, BUT at 11 50pm we were woken by a loud screeching noise, after a few minutes I figured out the noise was coming from the plumbing! if the cold taps were turned on the noise would stop but if you turned the hot taps it got worse.
Obviously I could not leave the cold tap running as this would keep us awake anyway so after about ten minutes the noise was still going I went to reception to complain, the staff on duty knew the problem was down to the plumbing and offered me another room, I went to look at this other room and it was smaller and only had a double bed unlike the king size in our original room, so for my inconvenience I was woken up by an issue that reception already knew about, (Why was something not done before I needed to complain if they knew about it?) asked to change rooms in the middle of the night and then effectively downgraded to an inferior room! not exactly what I would expect, if anything they should be looking to put me in to the best room they have not something smaller.
I went back to the original room to talk to my wife and discuss what we should do, just leaving and going to Premier Inn was an option but as I was there the noise started to fade and then stopped after it shrieking for 25 minutes.
I waited then decided to stay in the room and hope the noise did not return, I told reception I was not happy to take the other room as it was smaller and he did not seem bothered one way or the other about it.
In the morning I made it clear I was not happy and even showed the Manager a video of the problem and it is clear that this was unacceptable, He has assured me the issue will be dealt with and asked me to email him the video so he can show the maintenance exactly what the issue is, this has been done and I just hope he is true to his word and no other customer needs to have a restless night like we did.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends