“A Place to Stay”

Jurys Inn Edinburgh
Ranked #114 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 22 May 2012

If you're looking for a place to stay in Edinburgh, this is one of them. Here you're paying for the location: a block from Waverly Station and a stone's throw from the Royal Mile. But other than that, it's a very average hotel (think a Hamption Inn in the U.S.). I read on other reviews that the rooms were cold which was true of our room too...for the price you think they could pay the heating bill. The hotel bar is nothing special; you pay a little more for drinks and the pub grub isn't anything to write home about. The breakfast buffet was great and allowed us to load up on the day so we could go without lunch to save a few $$'s on our trip. Overall this hotel worked for us since we wanted to be near the action and only really needed a place to rest our heads at night. If you're looking for luxury/value over location, you may want to consider other options.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 21 May 2012

We stayed over a week end, it was too expensive, room was cold, they gave us a plug in heater.The front of the hotel overlooked the railway station, so you can imagine the noise all night.
no atmosphere in lounge/bar,no entertainment, food was typical pub grub made in deep fat fryer, overall I would not recomend to anybody.
The only good bit was the location in centre of town

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bernadete f
Reviewed 21 May 2012

Stayed 3 nights in Jurys Inn last week. Jurys Inn is in a very central location opp Waverly Rail Station, 5 mins from Airport Bus terminal and Princes St. Royal Mile is about 50 yds up the steps and path to the rear of the hotel.Had dinner on first night and B&B the other days. Dinner for three of us was good and the service was excellent. I must say that it was only after 6 pm and the dining room was almost empty ! Room 426 on 4 th floor in the front of the hotel was comfortable and clean. Brakfast was good, full English/Irish, self service of course. The Dining Room can be very busy around 9 am. Breakfast is from 7 am to 10 and to 11 am on Sat- Sunday. Staff very friendly and efficient. Overall we were happy with our stay and found no cause of complaint. Would stay there again.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms in front have excellent views and are quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Askive
Reviewed 13 May 2012

the hotel was about 5mins walk from train station & right in town! its a little run down, but the rooms were a good size. the only down fall they did not have free wifi. you could go to any coffee shop & get a cup of coffee & have free wifi, but really your paying alot more for the hotel so the wifi should be provided...other than that there was nothing great or bad about the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 May 2012 via mobile

I recently stayed for 1 night as was down in Edinburgh on business. After checking in I headed up to my bedroom and went to sit on the edge of the bed only to find the bottom half of the base was snapped on half. How the housekeeping hadn't noticed this I'll never know!

After changing rooms I went to order room service only to find out I had to go down stairs to collect it myself. I was more shocked to find in the lift down they actually advertise this as a relaxing way to finish the day after a long day in the office. I can tell you there is nothing relaxing about trying to carry a tray with two courses and a drink with one hand while you struggle to get your room key to operate the lift with the other. Unfortunately after all my efforts the food was very basic and I ended up only having a few mouthfuls.

To make things worse I never received an alarm call in the morning, luckily the morning trains nearby woke me up leaving me only 15 mins late for my work.

I sincerely hope that all other jury's inn are to a higher standard. I for one won't be taking the risk!

• Stayed: May 2012