“Large hotel with a friendly feel”

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian
Ranked #60 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 15 November 2012

We stayed here for two nights. Check in was seamless and although we were earlier than the published check in time, our room was available. We had a delux room which was very spacious with a lobby comprising of wardrobes, iron, safe and mini bar. The main bedroom had a large TV with tea and coffee and a Nescafe coffee maker which was a nice touch. We had two bottles of complimentary water the first night but not the second?

The bathroom had a bath and shower with plenty of hot water (which did take rather a long time to filter through). Bath towels were good quality and the bath robes were very warm and comfortable. The room was spotlessly clean.

The concierge staff were very helpful and always on hand for local advice and the two taxi's that we booked were perfectly on time on both occasions. £20 to the airport.

We had breakfast which was a buffet style for £15 when booked at check in. There was a good selection and the staff were attentive and explained where everything was.

The hotel has recently been refurbished and the coffee lounge has been improved and is a great location for afternoon tea.

I will be back even though I was not convinced by the battleship grey walls in the bedroom! (personal taste)

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
GMHiltonCaledonian, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2012

Dear guest,

thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I appreciate your kind remarks with regards to our recent refurbishment, and I do hope that you are able to return to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Chris Logan

Write a ReviewReviews (3,864)

Reviewed 14 November 2012

Thought I would try this hotel for a Saturday night in Edinburgh. Excellent location and interesting architecture are a plus for this hotel. Room was also very nice and appeared quite modern, comfortable, and in good condition.

Where this hotel lacks is 5* service to match. On arrival the wait for check in was long, with only two desks open. and on departure, the wait for check out was long with only one reception desk manned. If I book a 5* hotel, I don't expect to have wait in line for a long time to get my room. To be fair the receptionist was efficient and check in was fast, but again this seemed more because she was harassed and stressed by the lines. A drink in the bar was the same - waiting 10 mins then resorted to ordering my own drink from the bar which is more Weatherspoon than Waldorf! I guess what I'm saying is this place seems very understaffed.

Having said would return if I got a good rate.

PS I didnt like that the automatic mini bar is charged AFTER you check out have gone home (why?) nor the automatic inclusion of a £1 charity donation on the bill.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
GMHiltonCaledonian, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2012

Dear guest,

thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I appreciate your honest and constructive feedback, and I would like to apologise for the waiting issues experienced in some outlets within the hotel.

I am however delighted to read of your positive comments with regards to the bedroom which you were allocated, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Reviewed 14 November 2012

Doing business away from home is difficult, but the refurbished Caledonian Waldorf makes the entire process wonderful. The changes in the hotel make a big difference, I have stayed at the hotel before the renovation and several times since. Staff members are very friendly and helpful, the new Peacock Alley is a great way to start the day with a fresh cappuccino and the morning paper. I must admit I was tempted to take the sheets home with me, luxurious and fresh. My room had a view over the castle and the glow from the lights framed in the bedroom window was beautiful. I highly recommend this hotel, I will make it my base whenever I am in Edinburgh.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business

Dear guest,

thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am delighted to read of your positive experience with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the 'Caley' for business or pleasure in the future!

Reviewed 13 November 2012

The Caledonian Waldorf Astoria is a beautiful hotel. We stayed for 3 nights and thoroughly enjoyed it. The front of house staff were very accommodating and acknowledged our Hilton Honors status. We were upgraded to a larger room with beautiful views overlooking the castle and city, could not have asked for more. There was always a member of staff at the door welcoming you in and out and our car was taken from us and parked in the hotel car park a very nice service something that Syon Park Waldorf Astoria in London could learn from.

Room was beautifully appointed, clean and very cosy, bed was incredibly comfortable. Despite being on the 3rd floor the only complaint we had with the room which is not the hotel's fault was that it was very noisy outside being located on one of the main streets in Edinburgh.

Peacock Alley - A stunning lounge/bar area with very comfy seating, drinks made to a good standard.

Galvin Brasserie de luxe - French themed restaurant with a unique menu. Food was cooked to a high standard the Oeuf A La Neige with Pink Praline dessert must be tried!

The Pompadour by Galvin - a world class dining experience one of the best restaurants we have eaten in. It is not cheap but truly worth the money. It was a unique experience. The staff are trained so well to give an outstanding service. The food was sublime. The amuse bouche lasagne of crab was so delicious with stunning flavours in such a small portion of food. The passion fruit rice pudding was to die for. Every dish was such an enjoyable experience.

Breakfast - very well run and food was an excellent standard

Pool and Spa - Access is by lift on first floor. Spa entrance very welcoming. Changing rooms were very clinical but clean nonetheless. Pool area was very disappointing for a 5 star hotel the Waldorf in Syon Park London has a stunning pool in comparison. It was just painted white with absolutely no atmosphere or features. There were 2 chairs, no loungers we didn't stay in pool for very long. Spa pool not working was cold as was sauna. Steam room was fine.

Overall hotel was fantastic with just 2 complaints pool area and charity fee placed on bill upon leaving. I have no problem giving to charity but it would be nice for front of hotel staff to inform you about it when you check in. Look forward to returning.

If you want to visit the beach whilst in Edinburgh Portobello is a great place to go with lovely views really enjoyed the walk along the promenade.

Room Tip: Higher floors and castle views
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
GMHiltonCaledonian, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2012

Dear guest,

thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. It delights me to read your positive remarks, particularly with regards to our dining areas throughout the hotel. I shall be sure to pass on your kind words to all of our team members, including our 'Galvin' Chefs following your recommendations.

Furthermore, I do hope that you will have the opportunity to return to the 'Caley' again in the future.

Reviewed 13 November 2012

We stayed here for 2 days and overall had a good stay. However, it was marred by several small but annoying incidents - firstly there was no hot water on our first night which was frustrating after a day out in the cold. Secondly the breakfast service on the Sunday morning was appalling. If it had not been for Robert, the chef running the hot buffet it would have been a disaster - thank you for sorting out our poached eggs! .... however the next day breakfast was a different story with the waiter taking time to offer juice, get us toast (not even offered the day before) and take our order for eggs. However, again it was up to the chef on the hot buffet section to bring our plates to the table as the waiting seemed more interested in talking amongst themselves than serving the few tables in the room! However, it was the bar staff that really made our stay. Each day we enjoyed deliciously made cocktails, well poured drinks and great conversation and education on the large selection of whisky. The entire bar staff are a real credit to the management of the hotel and manage that fine balance of being professional but friendly with ease and genuine care.

Room Tip: Apparently rooms on the upper floors are more likely to get hot water!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends

Dear guest,

thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. Although you had an overall enjoyable experience, I am disappointed to read of the issues which occurred during breakfast. Moreover, I can assure you that I have shared your feedback with our food & beverage manager, and this shall certainly be acted upon, as breakfast is one of our major priorities as a Waldorf Astoria hotel.