“Its nice, but not amazing!”
Review of Locanda De Gusti

Locanda De Gusti
Ranked #8 of 2,751 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: USD 9 - USD 33
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Southern Italian using the very best of Italian and local Scottish produce.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Great service and its very 'Italian' but I do not understand the hype about the food. I had the Provola to start which was disappointing, had very little flavor. I had the ravioli which was nice but not earth shattering - the way everyone else goes on about it I thought it would be. Maybe I just came on a bad night.

Still, its very nice to see an independent restaurant doing so well in Edinburgh which is overrun with 'London Chains' at the moment,

1  Thank lorelait722
rsartore, Owner at Locanda De Gusti, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

We are an Italian restaurant with an all Italian staff, what would you expect?
But “you not understanding the hype about the food” this depends on what and where real Italian food you have eaten , we only use the best of fresh natural ingredients and cook in an authentic and traditional southern Italian way .

You ate the fresh provola (smoked buffalo mozzarella, direct from Italy) slow cooked with sweet roasted pepper with a fresh made basil pesto, don’t know what you would have added to make it have more flavour? You can have let me know!

You could have actually said when you were asked how it was a few minutes after being served or even once you had finished your starter. You could have said then you were disappointed as you had the opportunity to do so but didn’t!

The ravioli are handmade with fresh ingredients there were two choices when you came to dine with us, so there was either ravioli filled with fresh mascarpone and seasonal Scottish asparagus OR ravioli filled with fresh ricotta with fresh spinach.
Ravioli are served simply in fresh melted Scottish butter and fresh sage and topped with fresh grated nutmeg; serving the ravioli in any other way would destroy the fresh natural ingredients

As you wrote, “ I had the ravioli which was nice but not earth shattering - the way everyone else goes on about it I thought it would be”., Maybe “ everyone” else you write about appreciate tasting food in its simplicity and how it should be served and not drowned in sauces to overpower .
By the way we do not advertise that they are earth shattering.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,326)

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

We were looking forward to our booking at Locanda de Gusti and were not disapointed with our evening. A vibrant atmosphere, delicious menu, great wine list and friendly staff meant an excellent meal experience. Would recommend to anyone who wants an authentic Italian restaurant. Beats the nationwide chain Italian eateries hands down.

Reviewed 1 April 2018

We love the ambience and friendly staff and have given excellent reviews before. However the past two times we have been disappointed with the main courses. Last time the beef both braised and a steak were very tough and not up to standard. I am sure it may be a blip but will need to watch as you are only as good as the last meal! I feel that the starters are now a bit expensive as well.

1  Thank Peter Alastair K

It is our family way at Locanda de Gusti to ask after a few minutes of serving to come and ask if everything is ok ,then in the middle of the meal we ask again and then once plates are cleared from the table , you had the opportunity of saying you were not happy 3 times and you never .

As you say the braised beef was very tough, I disagree the braised beef was and is tender and melts in the mouth. Our Scottish shin of beef (organic) is braised for up to 8 hours and we did not have steak on the menu it was Scottish T-bone rose veal both sourced in Scotland
We only buy the best of Scottish beef and always go for quality.

You could have mentioned this to a member of staff that you were not happy and not to your taste and could have made you something else, just as simple as that!

The starters are not overpriced and priced accordingly and are of good sized portions

Our menu changes on a daily basis, because we buy fresh in everyday and what is available to us from our fish and meat suppliers and what is delivered fresh direct from Italy from our Italian suppliers.

So when you came to dine with us there was fresh provola cheese (smoked buffalo mozzarella) direct from Italy,
Handpicked Scottish crab meat salad with fregola and fresh Vesuvian Piennolo tomatoes from Italy
Mediterranean octopus from Italy with buffalo mozzarella from Italy

I could go on with the rest of the menu, but I think you will appreciate how this will go.

There is a cost in the very best of our ingredients we use, and each dish is priced according to the ingredients.

Diners wherever they dine should just say what’s up when not happy and not just go home and sit behind a faceless computer!

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

Food excellent as always and staff friendly and attentive when required. Advice on wine also much appreciated.

Reviewed 30 March 2018

My fiancee brought me here for my birthday. We both loved the food and the joyful service.

Locanda De Gusti is not the place you would go if you want to have something elegant and formal, but the food is really perfect, true Italian food, and the people are all very nice.

The place is small and always very busy so you may want to book the table in advance.