“Went on a voucher deal and the meal reflected this”
Review of Steamie - CLOSED

Steamie
Price range: USD 8 - USD 24
Cuisines: American, Greek
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: We are an urban gastro led pub with a fantastic menu based in the Newington are of Edinbrugh. All dishes are cooked from fresh in our kitchen! We aim to offer the best service with great drinks. The prices are reasonable and the ambiance friendly & casual.Give us a call and make a reservation just to be sure that you will find a table!
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Went on a voucher deal and arrived at the time we booked for. The staff seemed surprised to see us. Sat on stained seats and the food arrived which was ok for nosh but was obviously frozen quality.

On the plus side the staff were cheery and made us feel welcome after the initial hiccup and the value was great but if I had full money I would not have been happy.

No atmosphere and the place looked like it could be doing with a clean. Also if they charged a little more then the quality could also go up.

1  Thank alfromlarbert

Reviewed 16 December 2013

A group of us visited the Steamie for a meal only because we bought a "deal" through wowcher. Big mistake - This was an absolute awful experience, from service to food, every aspect of our experience was awful. Food was cold when it should be hot and food that should have been cold was warm. We spent two hours waiting for our meal, only to leave before they could frighten us with the dessert. Never had such a surreal experience and hopefully never again..My advice, avoid this place at all costs! Worst ever, complete and utter joke, more positively, it could only get better!!

1  Thank Michelle R
Reviewed 15 December 2013

we had purchased a wowcher deal and booked a table on Saturday for 2pm, on arrival we were greeted and served by the barman who was very pleasant but appeared to be on his own, he showed us to a table gave us a basic pub menu, scampi, fish n chips , pie etc. we ordered starters of prawns, fishcake (which was very greasy) and mushrooms, which was ok ! just about acceptable, all four of of us opted for the steak and ale pie, big mistake it was unedible, just a dish of gravy couldn't find the meat! and a strange taste with a soggy pastry top with a few peas and cold chips!!! no wonder after a 45min wait for it to arrive, no one commented on our still full plates or when we refused dessert!!! we really couldn't risk it!! we left never to return!!! we realise it was a deal but at least you expect food that is edible. horrendous.

1  Thank Margaret S
Reviewed 24 April 2013

On my most recent trip to Edinburgh, I ducked in to Steamie by pure chance. It was a miserable day and I went in to just grab a drink and take shelter. It was relatively quiet, only a few people in, but I saw that one of the tables had food and it looked quite nice. I decided to treat myself to an early dinner and was not disappointed. The food was fantastic and although I didn't go for the Greek offering as the bar staff tried to encourage me I did enjoy a good fish supper, and will certainly come back to try something a little more bold next time. Beautifully presented, very pleasant atmosphere, great value for money and nice staff. Well worth a look if you are around the area.

1  Thank Tikitoura
Reviewed 17 April 2013

Tried to get a meal here around 8pm on Wednesday 10th April. There was a young lad outside watching us study the menu while he smoked. We went in and stood at the bar waiting for a staff member to show up but the place was completely empty. After three long minutes of standing and waiting at the bar we decided to give up and go somewhere else, then finally the kid from outside came in and trudged behind the bar, no greeting or apology. Turns out he was running the place, yet still made us wait until he finished his on-duty cigarette before coming back in. Unbelievable, I've never seen that in my life. And a shame as we would have dropped about £80 in your restaurant. Sack this rude, lazy dimwit and maybe you'll get a few customers in. Not us though, we live down the street but we won't be back.

1  Thank James252500