All reviews min walk to the centre bus stop free wifi stayed here toaster fridge key accommodation shower
Reviewed 4 October 2016

I'd seen mostly good reviews about this place and so decided to stay here for the night with my daughter, who was a little wary about it being out so far from town, but we gave it the benefit of the doubt and we got let down.
From the outside, it looked half decent, but things quickly went downhill when we got to the front door of the building and tried to press the bell, which wasn't working unbeknown to us standing waiting to get in, I was forced to phone the lady after trying all the bells and getting no joy on any of them. She showed up and informed me the bell was broken on the inside door, however there was no note or sign to say that, and her tone and manner were a little condescending.
We were told our original room wasn't available and we just had to take this other room, which was fortunate to have 2 beds in it. The room was tired and dated in its decor, with mismatched furniture and a melted patch on the carpet. There were various stains on the headboards of the beds and the chairs, There was tea and coffee facilities and the coffee tasted good, after our very long bus journey.
We were sold this room on booking.com as an en-suite, well I've never seen one like this before, basically they had nailed some boards together and plonked it in the corner of the room, then bought a plastic cubicle and put a shower unit and toilet in it and passed that off as an en-suite, which was dirty, very badly fitted with holes drilled in the walls and tape where they tried to make it waterproof, now I'm no plumber but they made a really bad job of doing it themselves.
The beds were stiff as boards and so we never even got a good nights sleep, overall this place was horrible and I only gave it 1 for the rating as there was a decent tv on the wall

Room Tip: Don't choose this hotel or any of the rooms in it is the best advice I can give
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 August 2016 via mobile

Comfortable clean reasonable size ground floor room with ensuite...good wifi connection. Very friendly hosts..good price too...close to bus stop to get into city..frequent. Would recommend. DIY breakfast.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2016 via mobile

Stayed overnight with my partner got the top room,

The lady is really friendly thanks for your hospitality , this is simple as it gets, 2 beds tv and toast and tea making facility's , it's extremely cheap, it did smell of cigarettes tho, and had a shared bathroom, I wasn't too concerned,
The safety is a huge issue, the bedrooms are high up, with huge staircases, and you will find no fire escape, please fix this, it is an accident waiting to happen, we felt trapped, thanks to the owner tho, seems a very nice lady, unfortunately you really need the safety sorted, thanks for our visit

Stayed: June 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 June 2015

Abileen Guest House is a 25 minute walk from Waverley Station. The accommodation is close to a laundromat (Ace Cleaning Centre, 13 South Clerk St) and a Sainsbury's supermarkert (also on South Clerk St). It is also close to Holyrood Park/Arthur's Seat (take Salisbury Road).

I stayed for four nights on two separate occasions, both times in the single room located downstairs. The room was small but it was clean and comfortable. The shower was also on the small side and might be a problem for bigger and taller people.

Breakfast items are provided - cereal, milk, loaf of bread, jam, cheese, yoghurt and fruit.

The point of difference at this place was the service. Lyn and her mother are friendly, helpful and accommodating. Lyn bought me soy milk after hearing that I was lactose intolerant and couldn't drink dairy milk.

I've stayed at many different types of accommodation. Higher end hotels, budget hotels and hostels. At the end of the day, it's all about a clean place, a comfortable bed and a good shower. This guest house is quite average in terms of furnishing, shower, etc but I would stay at this place again because of the hospitality.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 April 2015

Myself and a friend went down for the night to Edinburgh at the weekend to surprise a friend for her birthday. I searched online and Abileen Guest House was one of the cheaper places to stay for the night. It was only about a 15 min walk from the centre of town. We got there about 5pm and the landlady was very nice. We got the attic room, which you could see Arthur's Seat from the window. The room had two single beds, a TV, a clothes rail, a kettle with all the necessities and in the corner a toaster with a whole loaf of bread, a fruit bowl and a wee fridge with some cheese/butter/jams, yoghurt and milk, which meant we could help ourselves to breakfast in the morning at whatever time. We were given keys to come in and out whenever we wanted (which was great as we were going on a night out and we didn't have to bother anyone). Free Wifi too, which worked brilliantly. It was a shared bathroom, which was lovely and clean with plenty of towels and toiletries to use. A hairdryer was also provided when I asked. It was a very nice sleep and if I were to come down to Edinburgh again for a night or two I would probably book the Abileen again.

Room Tip: Attic room has a good view of Arthur's Seat
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled with friends