All reviews min walk to the centre bus stop free wifi stayed here toaster fridge key accommodation shower
Reviewed 20 June 2015

Abileen Guest House is a 25 minute walk from Waverley Station. The accommodation is close to a laundromat (Ace Cleaning Centre, 13 South Clerk St) and a Sainsbury's supermarkert (also on South Clerk St). It is also close to Holyrood Park/Arthur's Seat (take Salisbury Road).

I stayed for four nights on two separate occasions, both times in the single room located downstairs. The room was small but it was clean and comfortable. The shower was also on the small side and might be a problem for bigger and taller people.

Breakfast items are provided - cereal, milk, loaf of bread, jam, cheese, yoghurt and fruit.

The point of difference at this place was the service. Lyn and her mother are friendly, helpful and accommodating. Lyn bought me soy milk after hearing that I was lactose intolerant and couldn't drink dairy milk.

I've stayed at many different types of accommodation. Higher end hotels, budget hotels and hostels. At the end of the day, it's all about a clean place, a comfortable bed and a good shower. This guest house is quite average in terms of furnishing, shower, etc but I would stay at this place again because of the hospitality.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 April 2015

Myself and a friend went down for the night to Edinburgh at the weekend to surprise a friend for her birthday. I searched online and Abileen Guest House was one of the cheaper places to stay for the night. It was only about a 15 min walk from the centre of town. We got there about 5pm and the landlady was very nice. We got the attic room, which you could see Arthur's Seat from the window. The room had two single beds, a TV, a clothes rail, a kettle with all the necessities and in the corner a toaster with a whole loaf of bread, a fruit bowl and a wee fridge with some cheese/butter/jams, yoghurt and milk, which meant we could help ourselves to breakfast in the morning at whatever time. We were given keys to come in and out whenever we wanted (which was great as we were going on a night out and we didn't have to bother anyone). Free Wifi too, which worked brilliantly. It was a shared bathroom, which was lovely and clean with plenty of towels and toiletries to use. A hairdryer was also provided when I asked. It was a very nice sleep and if I were to come down to Edinburgh again for a night or two I would probably book the Abileen again.

Room Tip: Attic room has a good view of Arthur's Seat
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 September 2014

I booked and paid for two nights but couldn't stay after the first. The hotel was awful, tiny bed, completely different from what I saw on the websites. Rooms had a very strong smell. Left with a flu. Horrible horrible experience :(

• Stayed: September 2014
3  Thank Dagogo W
Reviewed 1 September 2014

We stayed here for almost a month in August (our second visit) as this year we were coming up for the whole Fringe Festival. The guest house is ten mins walk from the city centre. The room was perfect and nothing was too much trouble. Breakfast was in the fridge for us to help ourselves as we wanted. Lynn our landlady is the most helpful host you could wish to meet. We were attempting the Guinness World Record for the most performances ever seen (and we succeeded - our entry is awaiting ratification!) and so we were very busy every day, all day and into the wee small hours. We had two sets of keys to make our slightly different schedules possible.On request about where the nearest launderette was, we were told it would be taken care of (and it was washed, dried and ironed!) and when our car broke down Lynn had her brother pick up a spare part and try to fit it! In the end we left the car key with our landlady and a local garage came and collected it and sorted it out. The phone was offered for our use FOC while trying to sort this all out. I am in training for a half marathon and Lynn put up with me being in and out running and having showers in the middle of the day, no doubt when she was trying to service our room. What a welcome and what a host. If and when we do Edinburgh next year, we will definitely be back!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Car0leC47
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Me and my friend stayed here 16th June till 19th June 2014
We were given a lovely welcome the place itself was clean and tidy the room was fab would recommend it to everyone.
Breakfast was supplied we had a little fridge with orange juice butters cheese milk etc cereal and fresh bread so you could get up have breakfast when you wanted which was great for us lovely place lovely host

Room Tip: Twin room it has beautiful views
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends