“Your home in Edinburgh”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of 22 Royal Circus

22 Royal Circus
We can't find prices for this accommodation
22 Royal Circus
Ranked #274 of 444 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
São Paulo
“Your home in Edinburgh”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

Feel like be in my onw home. Great location in a fantastic building. They were never satisfied in order to attend my wishes. Kirsty and Ava, and of course, Maya, become friends now.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
South Florida, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

Upon our arrival (time had been emailed in advance) early in the day, we were greeted by Kirsty and Mia, her black lab. Our room wasn't ready but we were allowed to rest a bit in the living room area. We left our luggage there and went out for a walk and some lunch based on her recommendation. The tiny cafe was just around the corner and was very good. Upon our return we were shown to our rooms and given a tour of the rest of the house. We were part of two couples traveling together and one couple had a street level room while we had a room in the basement on the level of the kitchen. Both floors had doors to the outside. We stayed three nights in all. It was most helpful that we were allowed to use the laundry facilities. We rested well in our rooms with a bit of an exception to barking by Mia when others came in after we were in bed.
Kirsty told us on the third day during breakfast that she was going out of town that afternoon but had someone coming in to do some cleaning and to take care of Mia. Also, our breakfast for that last morning was to be basic and placed in the refrigerator for us to prepare as we had an early wake up to go to the airport. That was okay. However, when we returned late that evening the upstairs couple went on in to their level and room and my husband and I walked downstairs "outside" to our level to use the key we'd been given to open the door. I have no idea who had locked it, perhaps another guest, but we could not get in. So we went upstairs and knocked but of course on that level the door was to a hallway which led into other homes as well. Finally, I had to use my cell phone and place an international call to my friend's cell phone to have them come let us in. It was frustrating! Additionally, when we finally got settled in bed and asleep other guests tried to get in and knocked and banged waking us up after midnight. We didn't see anyone that night or the next morning who appeared to be "in charge".
I simply feel that Kirsty needs to make certain she has a responsible person there if she is going to be away to deal with issues guests may have. I love Edinburgh and certainly we didn't let this put a damper on our stay overall. However, I wouldn't stay here again due to what happened.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WannaGoKY
brighton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2011

We had a very pleasant stay in a very welcoming atmosphere created by Kristy. Big room, very comfortable bed and splendid breakfast. Kirsty herself is very congenial company who does put herself out. The location is in a very beautiful part of the city, georgian and victorian terraces etc. We hope to stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2011

My partner and I stayed here in October 2011 and absolutely loved it. Kirsty, the woman that runs the place, is a star - very friendly and welcoming. We got in early to Edinburgh and arrived at a bit of an inconvenient moment, when she was in the middle of preparing breakfast for the other guests, but she made us feel right at home and settled us in with a cup of tea in her beautiful living room.

Our room was spacious, nicely decorated and spotlessly clean, with a big, comfortable bed and shutters on the window. We also had our own bathroom across the hall. The house itself is a lovely Georgian terrace on a quiet street at the Stockbridge end of New Town - a great location just a short walk from the city centre. The super-hearty breakfasts were fantastic too. The one thing we would have liked was better WiFi coverage - there was a single strategic spot in the room that you had to stand in to get a signal and other than that you had to go into the kitchen to be able to access the internet - but that was really a small detail.

The place is not exactly what you would call cheap; we paid 120 pounds per night for our double room, but compared to London accommodation (we stayed in a hostel there that looked like a re-purposed mental institution on the inside, complete with grilles over the windows, and it cost us 60 pounds a night), it's really worth the money. There's nothing worse than paying a bit extra and feeling like you were ripped off, but in this case the great service, beautiful house and unbeatable location made it worth every penny. Highly recommendable!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Timmins, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2011

Every time I stay at a B&B I am pleased with the experience. It's always a bit more personable and enjoyable than living in a hotel while on vacation. Of course, it is always pleasant when meeting new people, and I find that staying at a B&B puts us all on our best behavior... kind of like meeting the in-laws again. Kirsty's place at Royal Circus is a perfect location for the vacation traveller. On my first day I took a taxi into the downtown area because the hills looked a bit formidable. But once I realized how close everything was, walking became the rule. The hills do look challenging, but they're really not that bad... just a three or four minute hike uphill, and then it's all downhill!
Royal Circus is EASILY within walking distance of all the main attractions. I stayed three days. Each day was fortified of course by Kirsty's cooking and the stimulating breakfast table conversation. Another nice feature is that I was able to catch up on e-mails through the wireless internet service in the house.
I found the room perfectly comfortable, although I did feel a bit apologetic after realizing the housekeeper comes in each day to make the bed and tidy up. I am a bit of a messy traveller and I had my books, clothes. laptop and other items spread around the room. But the housekeeper managed to tidy up without disturbing anything. The bed and the bedding were excellent... so warm and comfortable.
There is a dog in the house; Maya, but having lived with pets I wasn't bothered by the fact that she barks whenever somebody is at the front door. Maya is actually an excellent security dog with the usual easygoing nature of a Labrador. I am blessed by the fact that when I am tired, I can fall asleep quickly and sleep for hours. Kirsty's B&B is not like staying at a hotel ... it's more like dropping in on a friend for a few days and enjoying their hospitality. And during the festival season, the daily rate was a true bargain when compared to the cost of hotels in the city.
As for visiting Edinburgh, well what can I say ... it is a fabulous city. Oh yes, I plan to go back. If you're thinking about going during the festivals, book a room early... six months early! I was lucky to get a room even though I booked about two months ahead of time. As for flying from Canada or the U.S. I found it was easier, and cheaper, to book a flight direct to London Heathrow rather than direct to Edinburgh, because there are lengthy layovers. I also enjoyed riding the Caledonia Sleeper, the overnight train from London to Edinburgh. Finally, there is almost too much to see and do in Edinburgh. Try to do some research with a map and guidebook beforehand so you can be sure to see all that you want to see while you are there.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo