“A very unique and decadent 5 star hotel! Not stuffy!” 5 of 5 bubbles

G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh
Ranked #35 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Skipton, United Kingdom
“A very unique and decadent 5 star hotel! Not stuffy!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

Ok so we have done the 5star thing where a very posh man greets you and makes you feel instantly uncomfortable! This place was a far cry from that. Staff with real personalities....yes hospitality staff that were actually hospitable! Rare! Everyone seemed to be cross trained to help every customers needs.

The rooms were even better than expected, very clearly indivdually designed, ours had a floor to ceiling wall to wall window which had stunning views across the Royal Mile and we could even see the sea. The little touches makes all the difference - slippers & robes, gorgeous linen, nicely stocked mini bar, and lovely toiletries.

The bar was far from stuffy or formal, more chic boutique. The atmosphere was electric and the cocktails divine!

I cannot fault our experience here and would recommend to anyone. Pure decadence!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Smudger77

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

Just got home from a trip to Edinburgh and I doubt there'd be anywhere else in the city I would stay. There's not really much to elaborate on from other perfect reviews, except to say that this hotel has simply got it all: perfect location, over-the-top quality service, exceptional design and comfort and one of the best bars in town.

I tried hard to find something to critique... and perhaps they could have better conditioner. But seriously, when you don't even care about hair products and you're down to quibbling about conditioner, the hotel is probably doing something right. From free mini-bar and laundry service to making sure you've got your preference on your bedside table to fight the next day hangover, Missoni has checked all the boxes.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank charlieanelson
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

I stayed at the Missoni Hotel in Edinburgh for business from February 12-18 2012. From the moment we arrived we were greeted by friendly bellmen wearing kilts. Our rooms were not ready yet as we had arrived at 12PM local time. We were told they would expedite the cleaning of our rooms and in the mean time we were welcome to wait in the bar area. We only waited about an hour and our rooms were ready. Unfortunately the airline lost our luggage so we had very little. The hotel staff provided me with any basic toiletries I needed and also gave me fantastic directions to the local stores so I could purchase clothing.

Every morning we had breakfast in the Cucina restaurant. The kitchen menu was great and the food was fantastic. You could opt for a more continental style buffet or hot foods from the kitchen. Since breakfast was included in my room I always ordered from the kitchen. Because I stayed so many days I was able to try almost everything on the menu. I was never disappointed with my breakfast choices. I do think it could be a little pricy if it wasn’t included in your room package. Over 18 pounds each day for breakfast could add up.

There was one person at the bar, Hannah, who had the best attitude and the best memory. She helped me and my colleague that first day when we were waiting for our room. We decided to visit the bar again one evening just to have some drinks before dinner. She remembered us, our situation with our luggage, and even asked how things were going with our stay. She was such a friendly and inviting person and I think her personality is the norm in order to work at the Missoni.

All in all, I loved my experience at this hotel and would return again if my business travels lead me back to Edinburgh.

Room Tip: Order the cappuccino at the hotel bar and the breakfast area. It is FANTASTIC! The best I have had.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Meliss1056
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

Fantastic location close to the castle, bright and well furnished rooms, clean, very comfortable beds, extremely friendly staff, very fine food, and as an added side benefit, with a fantastic fish restaurant virtually next door. Oh, and Ms. Rowland's cafe where she wrote the Harry Potter tales down the street, what more could you ask for.
Totally enjoyable stay in August 2011 during the Edinburgh Festival and Military Tattoo (don't miss those events either, but book early for teh Tattoo).

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed fine to our group.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank AngloAmerican3333
Alnwick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

The Missoni is superbly located - only a few minutes walk from Waverley Station and from Princes Street. Galleries, historic sites, restaurants and shops are all very easy to reach. The hotel itself is excellent. The decor is distinctly vibrant and off-beat, the rooms are very comfortable and well appointed - and well sound-proofed. Service is of the highest quality and the staff are friendly and knowledgeable. Dining in the hotel is not cheap but the food is very good indeed. If you can get a good deal on room rates, then this is the place to stay in Edinburgh.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple