“Everything is done to make you pay more”

The Ivy on the Square
Reserve with OpenTable
The Ivy on the Square is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #601 of 2,731 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: USD 26 - USD 83
Neighbourhood: New Town
Description: Located in the prestigious St. Andrew Square, in the heart of Edinburgh, The Ivy on the Square is an all-day British brasserie with an all-encompassing menu serving modern British and international Ivy-inspired classics from dawn until dusk, seven days a week.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Lovely food. Good location. Atmospheric. Well trained waiters. Not much in plates (no side with main, bread at 3.95 £ extra, nothing with expresso, glass of wine at 12£...) making my sea trout a 44£ meal. I am glad that I was out on business and not paying from my own pocket. The meal was not worth the price. It’s all a question of value for money and transparency of prices.

3  Thank Stephanie B

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Smaller than the London branches, but we had attentive service from our waiter.

A knockout Virgin Mary to kick-off. My family's orders covered the bases - full Scottish, Vegetarian; pastries and pancakes. All excellent.

Reviewed 5 April 2018

We booked for a late lunch on bank holiday Friday before Easter. Our table wasn't quite ready when we arrived, so we ordered a delicious cocktail and took a seat at the bar.

Very quickly our table became ready and our waiter introduced himself. He brought a bottle of water for the table and gave us time to decide what to order, offering explanations of a couple of items on the menu.

He took our order, brought our bottle of wine and our starters arrived promptly.

First concern was that our bottle of wine was kept in an ice bucket behind our table rather than at the side of our table (we actually ended up sharing it with the table behind).

After we had our starters, the table was cleared promptly and we never heard from our waiter again. We had to pour our own wine, despite other tables being topped up constantly.

50 (FIFTY) minutes later we still hadn't received our main courses so we asked a waitress where they were. Her reply shocked us "I don't know, I have just come on shift". She spoke to her manager, who came over and apologised. Said our previous waiter had forgotten to call it away and tell the kitchen we were ready to move on. HE said he would get the kitchen to prepare it now

Surprisingly, our food arrived within 5 minutes. And again we were shocked. The fried egg on top of the chicken sandwich was dry and rubbery. The toasted bread was inedible. The cheese on the burger looked like it had been overcooked and the burger was pencil-thin. It was clear the food had been sitting under a hot lamp for the fifty minutes, and no-one had thought to take it from the kitchen.

We were so disappointed. Having read reviews and spoken to friends who had visited we were expecting decent food and first-class service. We received neither of these.

I have given my review 2 stars simply because we ate the replacement egg and burger (we were ravenous by this time) and the manager did not charge us for one of our bottles of wine or the 12.5% service charge.

Its a shame because, based on this visit, we certainly won't be returning and will probably have influenced the opinion of everyone we have told.

7  Thank James M
Reviewed 5 April 2018

Been here a couple of times for dinner now to meet up with different friends and very much feel it's a bit like Browns and similar chains.
The food is nice, the menu is quite extensive. They do a pre-theatre style set menu but the food on their a la carte menu doesn't cost much more. Think posh pub grub as opposed to fine dining.
On both occasions the waiting staff have provided excellent service, so credit to them.

1  Thank LozHammersbaws
Reviewed 4 April 2018

There was a lot of fan fair around The Ivy opening in Edinburgh with the venue being a famous haunt in London. I have only previously been to the Covent Garden restaurant in London although I am aware there is a few and on that occasion, it was only for drinks so I was not actually aware of what the Ivy was. My friend and I booked a last min table and I was surprised that it was just a general eatery. Although well presented, the menu is essentially pub food. I had the burger and then for dessert, the crème brulee (it is called something else on the menu but is essentially a crème brulee). The burger was fine, no complaints whatsever but nothing to write home about. The crème brulee was lovely. You can get deals on the pre theatre menu which does look like it represents great value however, our choices were not from the pre theatre menu. Overall, while I have nothing bad to say about the place, I felt for what was essentially a burger, a diet coke and a dessert, the price was a tad expensive and therefore if I was to go again, which I would happily do, I would go during a set menu offer deal because I think those prices are more reflective of the quality. The service was excellent and if it wasn't for the pricing on the a la carte, I would have rated higher.

2  Thank JudyLockhart