“Real, Actual, Auctually Real (and really good) Japanese Food!!!!”
Review of Kenji Sushi

Kenji Sushi
Reserve with OpenTable
Kenji Sushi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #682 of 2,624 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Neighbourhood: Stockbridge & Dean Village
Neighbourhood: Stockbridge & Dean Village
Reviewed 15 March 2017

The katsudon was just absolutely correct, and really tasty - better than Tonkatsu Hamakatsu in Akihabara. The tacoyaki was ok by Japan standards, but by far the best I've had outside of Japan. The sushi looked an tasted like it could have been bought in a Japanese supermarket. Just an absolute gem to eat real, proper, tasty Japanese food made by someone who understands what they are doing! They even served proper miso soup with proper tofu!!!

Real, authentic Japanese food outside of Japan, for me, just didin't happen - untill now! My in-laws are Japanese, living right in the middle of Tokyo, so I've lived in Japan and know the food there well. So in the lands of Not-Japan I really, really miss Japanese food and usually when I find 'Japanese quisine' I want to cry tears of sad, sad dispair. Today I found the real deal and I am just so grateful to eat a real katsudon. Thank you, Kenji Sushi.

Please note: Got this by Deliveroo, so no expreince of sitting in.

1  Thank James T

Reviewed 14 March 2017

Mind you, the food isn't bad, but it is definitely not good enough to offset the many downsides.
The place is tiny (by which I mean "crammed-Paris-brasserie-style" tiny), and I have no problems with that, but this means the no matter where you are sitting, you will feel the cold draft whenever the door opens - and the door opens quite often, either because of the deliver guys coming in with their massive delivery boxes, or because of the punters having to pop out to the nearest cash machine as they do not accept cards here.
So, forget about having a romantic dinner here, this is definitely not for it.
As already mentioned, food is ok but not perfect, with some positively not good dishes.
Wish them luck, but I won't go back

1  Thank show_me_the_dosh
Reviewed 13 March 2017

We've eaten here twice now and on both occasions the food has been exceptional. The staff are friendly and helpful and the service is quick. In total we've tried around 10 different dishes from the menu and it's really hard to pick between them all. On our last visit we had 5 different dishes and a glass of wine each which more than filled us up and cost only £40 which we thought was particularly good value for Sushi especially when you consider the excellent location in the heart of Stockbridge.

We will definitely eat in here again. It is worth noting the restaurant is small and popular so you should book before turning up to avoid disappointment. It's also cash only so remember to stop at a cash machine on route.

Hope you enjoy as much as we did

1  Thank Kev W
Reviewed 12 March 2017 via mobile

I seem to be having good luck with sushi of luck and it's continued when I came here... unbelievably tasty food!

We got the Tokyo Roll, King Prawn Tempura roll, spicy tuna maki and a chicken katsu curry. Everything was absolutely delicious and fresh. Both sets of rolls came with little garnishes which was nice. The katsu curry was only £7.50 and was huge!

Service was fantastic.

Cannot wait to return!

1  Thank MK1112
Reviewed 11 March 2017

The food was mostly OK, with some dishes (e.g. a katsu-udon) even good, but at least one duff item (the octopus balls, with very little octopus and a lot of poor tasting, poorly textured casing).

The setting, while having an 'authentic feel', is very uncomfortable, especially in Winter: the door keeps opening continuously, due not only to customers but also to several Deliveroo staff that made repeated deliveries during service! The resulting cold drafts were not pleasant.

They only accept cash (guys, we are in Stockbridge in 2017...), with the result that several customers had to make the trip to the nearest cashpoint. Not great hospitality I think.

Service is very polite but poor and slow. Small tables that get absurdly crammed. Slow paying process. Another thing I really didn't like is the kitchen pass right out of the toilets.

Overall, for comparison, I found the quality of food certainly not superior to Kanpai Sushi, at marginally lower prices, but delivered in a much less professional manner and less pleasant environment.

1  Thank thoughtfuldiner