“Dishoom! Dishoom! ”
Review of Dishoom Edinburgh

Dishoom Edinburgh
Ranked #137 of 2,751 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Neighbourhood: New Town
Description: The original Bombay cafes have almost all disappeared. Their faded elegance welcomed all: rich businessmen, sweaty taxi-wallas and courting couples. Fans turned slowly. Bentwood chairs were reflected in stained mirrors, next to sepia family portraits. Students had breakfast. Families dined. Lawyers read briefs. Writers found their characters. Opened early last century by Zoroastrian immigrants from Iran, there were almost four hundred cafes at their peak in the 1960s. Now, fewer than thirty remain. Their loss is much mourned by Bombayites.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Dishoom is a Bombay Cafe located in Edinburgh. It’s snazzy, jazzy, and trendy. Try it out if you like your Indian food. It is authentic and believe me I KNOW!
If you want a quick snack then try the pav bhaji it’s a popular street food and has same flavours from the Juhu Beach of Mumbai. Or order the mughlai chicken, rumali roti and some kachumbar and make a delicious roll. Listen to me and don’t order the pre- made roll but make your own. It’s much better.
The black daal or kali daal is very nice also the Awadhi biryani is superb.
I always order the chai to sip alongside my meal as you would do in any Bombay cafes.
I am a connoisseur of Kulfis. I tried the pistachio kulfi and it came close to my childhood nostalgic memories.
Service is with a smile and food is fresh.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,740)

Reviewed 6 April 2018

Everytime I go to this place I love it - the food is great, the atmosphere is perfect and the drinks menu is awesome! Visited last night for dinner and our server Gavin from Dublin was great - super informative, friendly, funny and helpful! Can't wait till my next visit :)

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Visited Dishoom as a couple on a Thursday evening for dinner. There are no bookings taken so you have to wait on your table. We waited outside for ten minutes before there was room in the bar. Thirty minutes later our table was ready.

We ordered vegetable samosas and prawn koliwada to start. Both were freshly cooked and utterly delicious. The prawns in particular were first class.

For our main course we shared a sali boti half portion which was a most delightful lamb dish. We enjoyed this along with some black daal and two roomali roti.

All in all a great experience. A busy restaurant and great tasting food with fast and efficient service.

All in all well worth the wait!

Reviewed 5 April 2018

This is the first Dishoom outside of London. They are apparently based on Iranian cafes which were popular in Bombay from the 1920s. Note the emphasis on cafe. This is not your typical Indian restaurant. Much of the food is cooked over the vast charcoal range which greets you at the ground floor. I have no idea how authentic the decor is, but you certainly feel you are in a different century and on a different continent. The most fun is to be had by going with a group and sharing a selection of small plates. Don't miss the House Black Daal. You can also learn some Edinburgh history too. Each Dishoom adopts a local hero, in this case Patrick Geddes.

He.... But why should I tell you? Go along and discover for yourself. Enjoy the chaotic decor, the buzz and the super-enthusiastic young staff. Great fun.

1  Thank TomJohnston52
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

My friend has raved about breakfast here which to be honest I never would have imagined going to an Indian restaurant for. I order a bacon and egg in Naan bread and it was delicious. I also ordered a Chia tea which was liquid heaven. Bill for 2 came to £21- very reasonable for the wonderful meal we had. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Patrick H