“Well worth the wait”
Review of Dishoom Edinburgh

Dishoom Edinburgh
Ranked #136 of 2,731 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Neighbourhood: New Town
Description: The original Bombay cafes have almost all disappeared. Their faded elegance welcomed all: rich businessmen, sweaty taxi-wallas and courting couples. Fans turned slowly. Bentwood chairs were reflected in stained mirrors, next to sepia family portraits. Students had breakfast. Families dined. Lawyers read briefs. Writers found their characters. Opened early last century by Zoroastrian immigrants from Iran, there were almost four hundred cafes at their peak in the 1960s. Now, fewer than thirty remain. Their loss is much mourned by Bombayites.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Visited Dishoom as a couple on a Thursday evening for dinner. There are no bookings taken so you have to wait on your table. We waited outside for ten minutes before there was room in the bar. Thirty minutes later our table was ready.

We ordered vegetable samosas and prawn koliwada to start. Both were freshly cooked and utterly delicious. The prawns in particular were first class.

For our main course we shared a sali boti half portion which was a most delightful lamb dish. We enjoyed this along with some black daal and two roomali roti.

All in all a great experience. A busy restaurant and great tasting food with fast and efficient service.

All in all well worth the wait!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,664)

Reviewed 5 April 2018

This is the first Dishoom outside of London. They are apparently based on Iranian cafes which were popular in Bombay from the 1920s. Note the emphasis on cafe. This is not your typical Indian restaurant. Much of the food is cooked over the vast charcoal range which greets you at the ground floor. I have no idea how authentic the decor is, but you certainly feel you are in a different century and on a different continent. The most fun is to be had by going with a group and sharing a selection of small plates. Don't miss the House Black Daal. You can also learn some Edinburgh history too. Each Dishoom adopts a local hero, in this case Patrick Geddes.

He.... But why should I tell you? Go along and discover for yourself. Enjoy the chaotic decor, the buzz and the super-enthusiastic young staff. Great fun.

1  Thank TomJohnston52
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

My friend has raved about breakfast here which to be honest I never would have imagined going to an Indian restaurant for. I order a bacon and egg in Naan bread and it was delicious. I also ordered a Chia tea which was liquid heaven. Bill for 2 came to £21- very reasonable for the wonderful meal we had. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Patrick H
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

I’d heard great things about Dishoom and I wasn’t disappointed.
I love places with a separate vegan menu - no altering veggie dishes here - and although it was small, all the dishes looked tasty.
I had fried okra which was incredible with gunpowder potatoes - not as spicy as I thought but really flavoursome with the curry seeds - and an amazing dish that doesn’t do justice to be called a salad. The Channa was chickpeas, pomegranate, seed and an avocado mint dip.
The interior is cool, with mismatched chairs and colony train station vibes.
You can’t book and by 6.30pm on a Wednesday night it was already busy, so I guess at the weekends you might be in for a wait.
Fab service and glad I took our waiter’s recommended of wine, already planning a return visit!

Reviewed 3 April 2018

We visited the newly opened restaurant in Dishoom because of all the great reviews we had heard. However I was quite disappointed with the lamb both in the salli boti and awadhi biryani. The lamb was so tough we needed a knife to cut it into small pieces. The murgh malai chicken kebab was succulent and well cooked. The awadhi biryani had a subtle taste of biryani and isn't something we would say is the best we have tasted outside India. Considering the hype surrounding this restaurant we were disappointed. The portion sizes are quite small. Its a clever tactic to make the chai free after one glass. However I would not say its the best Indian food I have had outside India.

3  Thank Alokananda17