“Best Sushi experience in Edinburgh ”
Review of Maki Maki

Maki Maki
Ranked #845 of 2,609 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Neighbourhood: Southside & Holyrood
Neighbourhood: Southside & Holyrood
Reviewed 27 June 2017 via mobile

After doing my research on TripAdvisor, I settled for Maki Maki. Low and behold I was not disappointed, it's a wee place on Nicholson Street with just about 10 seats, if your not careful you'll miss it. Went in and everyone is very friendly, had no clue what to get so the chef and waiter recommended.

The chef prepared everything as we chatted, everything looked fresh and clean and he explained what how he was doing.

Sushi came and omg, was very tasty I would highly highly recommend Maki Maki and I will certainly be back.

Reviewed 9 April 2017

Maki maki seems like a good place to grab a quick bite either alone or with someone else. Service was excellent, we were seated straight away (not a lot of spaces) and the waiter got our coats and hanged them for us. He was also very helpful when we had a couple of questions about the menu and he was smiling the whole time. Food was good, everything seemed to be fresh and was prepared fast. I ordered the salmon, avocado and tobiko chirashi which came with a miso soup. Very tasty although I felt that the salmon was cut too thin and I love my salmon. Then my boyfriend got a pork ramen dish (dont remember the name) and he enjoyed it. We also got the rainbow rolls to share, excellent and tasted as good as they looked. Would revisit.

Reviewed 9 April 2017

After going through close to all major sushi establishments in Glasgow and Edinburgh, Maki Maki takes the cake. By a long shot.

I almost did not write this review as I feel like I do not want too many people to know of this place in fear of overcrowding, but I feel it would be a shame if not more people had a chance of experiencing fantastic omakase style sushi.

Whilst entering you feel a sense of tranquil as the place manages to shut down all of the noises of the busy street. The decor and the background music is calm, although when the place gets busy, the seating arrangement can make it feel a bit cramped. Some might find it part of the charm.

The highlight of the place however, is the food. In many sushi restaurants I find that even if the quality of the rice would be adequate, the quality of the fish might vary a lot depending on the day and time you pop by. This is not the case in Maki Maki. Every single time the head chef Seiji manages to provide extremely high standard sushi that leaves little to be desired for. The rice is just right and perfect temperature. The fish is fresh and adjusted seasonally. Maki Maki, unlike almost all other sushi places, also offers actual Wasabi in their omakase menu and not a mixture of horseradish and mustard.

With their current prices, I never feel bad for treating myself to such amazing food, which is why most of the time I end up skipping other restaurants and just heading there close to every week. I cannot recommend this place enough for authentic sushi.

1  Thank Janne_Sirnio
Reviewed 15 February 2017 via mobile

Small local sushi bar with fantastic fresh food - some of the best sushi in Edinburgh (and I am picky!)

Reviewed 7 February 2017 via mobile

I really wanted to eat some nice sushi. In this restaurant I did not just found some amazing food but also two very friendly chefs that do not esitate to engage in conversation with their guests. I would definitely be back.