“honeymoon stay”
Review of Leannan Boathouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dundee
Leannan Boathouse
Ranked #10 of 10 Speciality Lodging in Dundee
Reviewed 28 January 2012

when we married at forbes of kingennie, we had the pleasure of having an overnight stay in the leannan boathouse. it is set in a beautiful location and nice and secluded. the lodge itself was very clean and with it being october it was nice and warm. it has a big jacuzzi bath and plenty hot water to fill it and had bath robes for us to use too. the bed was big and comfortable. waking up in the boat house was lovely, even though it was raining we opened the patio doors to beautiful scenery and a lone fisherman standing in the rain. tea and coffee were available in the kitchen for us getting up in the morning. the lodge also had umbrellas which came in very handy for us to get to the car without getting wet. it is a beautiful and peaceful lodge and would love to stay there again.

Room Tip: the leannan is perfect for couples wanting to get away together for a quiet weekend.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GLindsay
Kingennie, Manager at Leannan Boathouse, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2014

Thank you for your review of your stay in our Leannan Boathouse.

Belated congratulations on your wedding. I am thrilled to hear that you had a lovely time during your stay with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 5 December 2011

After a little bit of confusion (blame the sat nav) about the location, we were quickly checked in by the friendly team at Reception and given plenty of information to help with our stay. Our first impression of the Boathouse was extremely positive. While it's less secluded than the photos could imply, it sits on the water in a lovely spot. Due to the time of our visit many of the surrounding lodges were unoccupied so it was extremely quiet but I suspect it could be less private in the height of summer. The torch provided at check-in came in useful as it got pitch black on the approach but this actually added to the lovely, private feel.

You enter the Boathouse into a small hall then the bright, well-equipped kitchen and dining room before walking through to the living area, and downstairs to the bathroom and bedroom. Each room is beautifully finished with excellent features including audio that plays throughout the house, Sky TV, dvd players, and surround sound in the bedroom. The heron table in the living room may divide opinion!

We had a few issues getting some of the technology working as previous residents had evidently been tinkering with it, but we managed to get it sorted without having to get help from the management.

Unfortunately the restaurant and bar close at 5pm Mon to Wed in November, which we weren't told about at the time of booking but this is the only negative.

I would have no hesitation in returning.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review of your stay in the Leannan Boathouse.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We do offer user booklets on each device in the lodge, these are found in the cupboard and a master copy of these can be found at reception. We do aim to tell all our guests where they are located, however on this occasion it may have been let slip. I can only apologise and assure you that I have passed on your query to our team to make sure all lodge guests are readily informed.

Our restaurant and bar do have shorter opening hours in the winter, however we are extending them this winter to ensure we meet the needs of our guests.

We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 21 September 2011

My husband and I enjoyed a stay at the Leannan Lodge recently and apart from the torrential lane it was just the break we needed. The high standard of all the fittings and furishings, the sumptuous bed and fabulous Jacuzzi made it feel like we had found a little corner of paradise.
The staff were really helpful and let us linger a bit later the morning we were due to check out.
Only problems were couldn't get the remote controls to work and coming back at night it was a very dark walk to the front door.
Really hope we can go back again sometime!

Room Tip: A really romantic hideaway.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Gayenah,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay in our Leannan Boathouse.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your break with us and that you thought highly of the Leannan.

We have a great team here, who try their best to meet all the needs of our guests.

I will look into addressing the issue you had with lighting at night, there is lights to guide guests on our pathways however, we can look into putting additional lights in place.

We look forward to seeing you again soon,

Reviewed 20 April 2010

This accomodation is very luxurious, well set up with quality fittings throughout.
However it is NOT as secluded as the website pictures make it appear, there are other lodges to the side, behind it and across the fishing lake (which is not very big) - it is the only one on the banks of the lake. It was very peaceful when we were there but it was 'out of season'.
The jacuzi bath is lovely but the only shower is a hand held one over that bath so not very practical to use.
Unfortunately when we were there th music system was not working and a response of ' the repair man is holiday this week 'did not seem good enough to me in a 4* property.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review of our Leannan Boathouse.

I am very sorry to hear about some of the concerns you had with your stay. Our boathouse, although near some of our other Woodland lodges, does remain quiet and peaceful throughout the year.

I an very sorry about the music system, I can assure you that the response you received is not one that is expected from our team, we do try our very best to accommodate all the needs of our guests. I will be following up to make sure this does not happen again. I can only apologise and hope that is does not refrain you from visiting us again.

With Thanks,

Reviewed 2 June 2008

My new husband and I have just returned from our honeymoon at the Leannan Boat House in Forbes of Kingennie and we have a few complaints!!

Almost 6 months after booking we were phoned by a staff member to tell us our booking was going to have to be changed from the already booked monday 26th to sunday 1st June(deposit paid and confirmed in writing) to saturday 24th to friday 30th. As this was our honeymoon (which they knew) and we were getting married on the 25th of May I explained that this was impossible.

Our 'experience' started about a month before we were due to stay at the Boat House, we received a letter which can only be described as rude and bullying. The owner explained that they had double booked our 'cabin' she was going to have to change our booking, they offered to change us to another lodge for the last night of our honeymoon, either that or for us to go home and go back for another weekend - NOT REALLY THE IDEA OF A HONEYMOON. I again phoned and explained that this was not going to be possible as it was our honeymoon. The response I received was incredible I was told that the people who they had doubled booked us with were getting married at Kingennie and they wanted the boathouse so they should get it!!! I stood my ground and said NO, it was after all my honeymoon and why was my booking (which was booked first) seen as secondary to the other! I was then told the other bride had her heart set on it!!! My response was so have I!!

What a lovely way to treat customers!

On arrival the manager had left a bottle of champangne in the lodge as a sorry, we thought at least they realised what they did with trying to change our honeymoon was wrong. Well so we thought!

I can't really fault the boat house, it is very nice. But a bit more attention to detail would go a long way, no batteries in remote controls, shakey plugs, fishermen around the 'secluded' lodge 24 hours a day, plastics flower/plants with dust on them etc. But this is all little things! Overall we enjoyed it. The jacuzzi is great as is the huge bed, the kitchen is well equipped.

We had a lovely stay until saturday when we had a knock at our door from a staff member telling us we were going to have to let the bride and groom in to our cabin so they could get photo's taken!!! Yet again our honeymoon comes second to the staff at Kingennie. At this I became upset, this was afterall the last day of our honey moon and I was expected to clear out of our cabin to let someone else into our bedroom! Crazy! My husband phoned the reception and explained that this was not an option!

To say we have a bad taste in our mouths about Forbes of Kingennie would be 100% correct.

Not a friendly place to have a holiday!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
7  Thank marilyngrubb
Kingennie, Proprietor at Leannan Boathouse, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2008

At Forbes of Kingennie Country Resort we are totally committed to ensuring our guests have the best experience they can during their time with us. In exceptional circumstances we may
enquire whether it would be possible to relocate to another lodge for the last night of a stay, however the original booking will always take priority, and a return complimentary visit
offered as compensation. For wedding photographs we do allow photos to be taken with The Leannan Boathouse in the background, and this is never usually a problem, as the bride and groom are usually spending their honeymoon night there. We apologise unreservedly and without prejudice to anyone who disagrees with any of our policies, which are in place to ensure the highest level of customer service to our guests and visitors at all times.