See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 20 April 2010

This accomodation is very luxurious, well set up with quality fittings throughout.
However it is NOT as secluded as the website pictures make it appear, there are other lodges to the side, behind it and across the fishing lake (which is not very big) - it is the only one on the banks of the lake. It was very peaceful when we were there but it was 'out of season'.
The jacuzi bath is lovely but the only shower is a hand held one over that bath so not very practical to use.
Unfortunately when we were there th music system was not working and a response of ' the repair man is holiday this week 'did not seem good enough to me in a 4* property.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Kingennie, Manager at Leannan Boathouse, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2014

Thank you for your review of our Leannan Boathouse.

I am very sorry to hear about some of the concerns you had with your stay. Our boathouse, although near some of our other Woodland lodges, does remain quiet and peaceful throughout the year.

I an very sorry about the music system, I can assure you that the response you received is not one that is expected from our team, we do try our very best to accommodate all the needs of our guests. I will be following up to make sure this does not happen again. I can only apologise and hope that is does not refrain you from visiting us again.

With Thanks,

Kingennie Management Team

Reviewed 2 June 2008

My new husband and I have just returned from our honeymoon at the Leannan Boat House in Forbes of Kingennie and we have a few complaints!!

Almost 6 months after booking we were phoned by a staff member to tell us our booking was going to have to be changed from the already booked monday 26th to sunday 1st June(deposit paid and confirmed in writing) to saturday 24th to friday 30th. As this was our honeymoon (which they knew) and we were getting married on the 25th of May I explained that this was impossible.

Our 'experience' started about a month before we were due to stay at the Boat House, we received a letter which can only be described as rude and bullying. The owner explained that they had double booked our 'cabin' she was going to have to change our booking, they offered to change us to another lodge for the last night of our honeymoon, either that or for us to go home and go back for another weekend - NOT REALLY THE IDEA OF A HONEYMOON. I again phoned and explained that this was not going to be possible as it was our honeymoon. The response I received was incredible I was told that the people who they had doubled booked us with were getting married at Kingennie and they wanted the boathouse so they should get it!!! I stood my ground and said NO, it was after all my honeymoon and why was my booking (which was booked first) seen as secondary to the other! I was then told the other bride had her heart set on it!!! My response was so have I!!

What a lovely way to treat customers!

On arrival the manager had left a bottle of champangne in the lodge as a sorry, we thought at least they realised what they did with trying to change our honeymoon was wrong. Well so we thought!

I can't really fault the boat house, it is very nice. But a bit more attention to detail would go a long way, no batteries in remote controls, shakey plugs, fishermen around the 'secluded' lodge 24 hours a day, plastics flower/plants with dust on them etc. But this is all little things! Overall we enjoyed it. The jacuzzi is great as is the huge bed, the kitchen is well equipped.

We had a lovely stay until saturday when we had a knock at our door from a staff member telling us we were going to have to let the bride and groom in to our cabin so they could get photo's taken!!! Yet again our honeymoon comes second to the staff at Kingennie. At this I became upset, this was afterall the last day of our honey moon and I was expected to clear out of our cabin to let someone else into our bedroom! Crazy! My husband phoned the reception and explained that this was not an option!

To say we have a bad taste in our mouths about Forbes of Kingennie would be 100% correct.

Not a friendly place to have a holiday!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
7  Thank marilyngrubb
Kingennie, Proprietor at Leannan Boathouse, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2008

At Forbes of Kingennie Country Resort we are totally committed to ensuring our guests have the best experience they can during their time with us. In exceptional circumstances we may
enquire whether it would be possible to relocate to another lodge for the last night of a stay, however the original booking will always take priority, and a return complimentary visit
offered as compensation. For wedding photographs we do allow photos to be taken with The Leannan Boathouse in the background, and this is never usually a problem, as the bride and groom are usually spending their honeymoon night there. We apologise unreservedly and without prejudice to anyone who disagrees with any of our policies, which are in place to ensure the highest level of customer service to our guests and visitors at all times.

Reviewed 4 August 2006

We stayed for 4 nights in June 2006.

The cottage is AMAZING - never seen anything like it in my life, the surroundings are picture postcard.
Inside you walk into a gorgeous kitchen, and then the living room with the biggest sofa ever, a wide screen TV and fire place that works by remote.

Down the stairs and the best is to come, the bed is huge with a really comfy tempur mattress, inset into the wall is 42 inch plasma screen TV, and the bathroom has a HUGE proper Jacuzzi.

Supplied with nice fluffy robes!

There is also proper surround sound - every room has its own speakers set into the ceiling (even above the Jacuzzi) with a control next to each light switch.

You can see the buildings being erected over the lake and we occasionally heard / saw a building truck but we were certainly not over looked. In fact the only disconcerting thing was the odd guy fishing on the opposite bank!

The veranda is lovely and we had baby swans taking their first swim whist we were there along with a very friendly robin and a sparrow with a nest in the roof of the veranda!

Management were very helpful and quick to assist with the minor problem we had (couldn’t find the switch to adjust the ample heating).

Kingennie is quiet, many of the woodland walks are shut due to the buildings and its a fair walk / expensive taxi to anywhere but for a get away from it all break I would most defiantly recommend it.

We also had a look round one of the other lodges and have to say although they are not quite as special as the Leanna they are very well done.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank MacieWeat

Dear Macie,

Thank you for your review.

We are thrilled to hear that you had a wonderful stay in our Leannan Boathouse, we regard it as one of our paramount lodges here at Forbes of Kingennie.

In regards to the Wi-Fi, we are currently in the process of getting all lodges equipped, so hopefully it will be installed for your next visit.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

With thanks,

Kingennie Management Team

Reviewed 4 April 2006

Booked the Leannan Boathouse in July 2005 for our March 2006 honeymoon.Arrived in Dundee at 10am was told repair work was being carried out on the boathouse. We waited to 4pm, was given a cheap bottle of wine and a letter listing repair work. What they did'nt tell us was a building development of at least 10 buildings directly opposite the boathouse looking down onto the so called secluded plot.When we spoke to the owner she gave us a full refund. We were now in Scotland 600 miles from home at 4.30pm with no honeymoon accomodation. Not once did they contact us in the 8 months of booking.
In fairness the inside of the boathouse is exellent quality,but secluded it is certainly not. It is not in woodland but more like a copse. The new development completly dominates the view from the decking area and lounge and bedroom windows.
In a nutshell if you are staying one night with the curtains closed then it is lovely property, but if you are staying longer then our advise is to go else where.
inside 9 out of 10
outside 1 out of 10
owner 1 out of 10
web site info 4 out of 10

Stayed: March 2006
8  Thank Broomwagon
Management response:Responded 21 June 2006

At Forbes of Kingennie we are totally committed to ensuring our visitors have the best possible experience during their time with us. In order to improve and expand what we can offer our guests, unfortunatley this sometimes involves building work being carried out nearby. By July 2007 we will have a 9 hole golf course, the Cairngorms Putting Green, and Kingennie Court which will sleep 20 guests. Throughout this time we hope to keep disruption to a minimum, and our lodges will be open all year round as normal. If anyone would like more information about the Leannan or our other 9 lodges, please e-mail gailforbes@hotmail.com