“You could have been excellent !”
Review of 172 At The Caird

172 At The Caird
Ranked #52 of 424 Restaurants in Dundee
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Was lucky enough to be taken here by my partner for my birthday...and I was quite excited at the thought. Walking through the door...the sense of a fine imposing building hits you...and it's a nice modern friendly atmosphere. To the right is the dining area...to the left is the bar. We had booked( and it was very busy)...but we were shown to the random table for two in the middle of the tables area. We felt like we were in the middle of everyone...with servers walking past every time they came out the kitchen....so asked to be moved, which they did.
We had an itson voucher...and the server rattled through a few conditions ( which I admit I didn't fully take in !). The menu has some nice options...we thought you could have any 2 courses...but it's only main and dessert...and we were not advised of this in the initial terms on being seated. Small point though...as it was my birthday...what the hell....let's have 3 courses ! The bagiss balls( black pudding and haggis) were fantastic! My partner loved her calamari!
For main...we both had chicken madras...it was very nice too...but a bit bizarrely served in two bowls on a small thin plate....not really ideal for eating. No place to put the naan bread...but I'm being pedantic!!
The desserts were really nice...and the house wine washed the food down well !
So why did I not give you Excellent....?
The staff...although polite...weren't always the most attentive. It was only after paying and sitting next door for cocktails that our original server asked if we enjoyed our meal. We waited ages with empty glasses for anyone to come back to take the bill payment...but then decided...we would go up with the bill to pay it. Just a bit too casual. A quick Thanks...and that was it !
The cocktails were nice...try them.
I enjoyed the experience and would recommend...but I think you can improve the whole customer experience.

Date of visit: April 2018
1  Thank GarryW496
Janine M, General Manager at 172 At The Caird, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2018

Good evening Garry

After reading your review I can only apologise that you felt you were not looked after well enough during your visit.
We are in the middle of training the new staff that have recently joined the team and I can assure you that I will continue to work with them to improve there standards.

I am also going to have a chat with the chefs regarding the serving bowls that are used for serving our curry dishes as to find out if we can use alternative dishes.

I thank you for your feedback as good or bad I do like to know what our customers think we can improve on.

We hope you see you again on the future.

Kind regards
Janine Marshall

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

I've visited quite a few now...and this was very good.
The building is grand and there has clearly been money spent on the interior. This is not a pie and chips bar restaurant.
Whilst I didn't try any of their more up market style menu offerings what I find have I thoroughly enjoyed.
Smoked tomato and paprika cous cous starter was tasty and the scampi main very pleasant. Served with a seared lemon which was a nice touch.
Service was good and the price fine.
I had a couple of pints of perfectly good best beer and I couldn't have been happier!

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed 2 April 2018

It was my Birthday last week, so my Wife & I booked 172 at the Caird for my Birthday Dinner. We've been for drinks before and found it good, but we hadn't eaten there previously. We arrived ahead of our booking and had a couple of drinks in the Bar. We then went through to the Restaurant and were warmly greeted and shown to our table.
I ordered the Steak Pie which was excellent and my Wife had Mussels which she enjoyed. We both had Desserts, which were also really good, but my Lemon Meringue came with Rice Pudding Ice Cream. I really liked the sound of that, but it wasn't nice at all as it tasted really strongly of what I think was Cinnamon, but might have been Nutmeg. There was no mention of this in the description of the dish, and I gave feedback that I thought the use of such a powerful ingredient should be made clear to the Diner. I wouldn't have ordered the dish had I known. The Lemon Meringue was wonderful though, and my Wife also enjoyed her Dessert ( Sorry, I don't remember what it was ). We had a Bottle of Chardonnay from the decent Wine List, but it wasn't very good I'm afraid. In summary though, we were both very happy with our evening, and I'll choose a different Wine and Dessert next time.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

We had a fantastic night with fabulous food and drinks. Staff were fantastic and made it such a good night. Very attentive to ensure vegan and gluten free needs were met. There were 14 of us and everyone enjoyed their meal. Staff gave us the space and time for present opening and photographs and brought her cake out singing happy birthday. I can highly recommend. It was my daughter’s first visit and they made it very special for her. Thank you.

Reviewed 1 April 2018

Went as a group and had a lovely time, Bar staff sometimes were unsure but would immediately seek advise, so service was great and all the staff were very agreeable and attentive. Fun atmosphere but sad that I had to leave before the music started. Thoroughly enjoyed the evening out, well done