“Rude comment by staff ”

Station House Cafe & Cookery School
Price range: USD 4 - USD 15
Description: The first Cookery School in Dumfries and Galloway! Station House Cookery School is a unique experience in Dumfries and Galloway. Developed in the beautiful train station buildings in the picturesque fishing town of Kirkcudbright, Nick and the team offer a wide range of cookery classes for all ages and tastes delivered by passionate and knowledgeable tutors. There’s a great focus on supporting local producers and all ingredients are sourced as ethically as possible. Our award-winning café offers a superb range of coffees, teas and beautiful lunches. Our gourmet Sunday evening pizzas book up very quickly so get your order in early! Why not get in touch today to find out more about the range of classes on offer or visit our website now!
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

I came in today to order a takeaway sausage roll, which I asked for the sausages to be well cooked because that’s just how I prefer to eat them, I do not see a problem with wanting to eat well cooked minced pork. However, it would seem that the chef did have a problem with such a request, and I feel if he’s going to comment on what a “strange & weird” request it is, and if I’m sure I know what I’m ordering & if he’s going to talk about customers, make sure they can’t hear? I felt very uncomfortable. Also, when I received it and got back to work, I found it was barely cooked, the “fresh baked bread” was under baked and doughy (Paul Hollywood would not approve, no handshake for you) the ketchup which I usually really like was far too sweet and sickly. To add insult to injury, I had a 2 minute walk back to work and my sandwich was cold and I ended up having to microwave it warm again. Also as I stood waiting for my takeaway, I could see right into the kitchen and a member of staff was eating themselves, whilst preparing other food, and there was quite a few dirty coffee cups on a food prep table. Not exactly what you want to see after ordering food.

Won’t be back in a hurry, or at all for that matter.

20  Thank kisswitha_fist
Nick M, Owner at Station House Cafe & Cookery School, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2018

Microwaving bread?

As this review is very much out of line with our other excellent reviews and involves questioning my baking, sauce making, accusations constituting an environmental health breach and most hurtfully an insinuation that Paul Hollywood's approval would be lacking I felt the need to respond very thoroughly.

The comment you overheard when the chef mentioned your request as 'unusual' was because we have never had that request before. I agree there is nothing wrong with the request and all our customers know we will respond to any personal tastes without issue. However, as he had never had that request before he wanted to make sure he had understood the Front of House order correctly. So he clarified, as it was an unusual request. However, if this offended you I apologise, even if you misunderstood we would never want to make any comment that makes a customer uncomfortable.

You have put 'freshly baked bread' in inverted commas which would 'infer' that you believe it was not so. Obviously as this is only an inference I need to clarify that this is incorrect. We bake our breads fresh every morning and is something we are well known for. You mention that you put the bread in the microwave. As Paul Hollywood would tell you, whilst fixing you with a steely look, microwaving bread denatures the crumb and results in a soggy texture. This would certainly give you the appearance of an undercooked dough. No handshake for you not knowing that one! Dear dear.

The ketchup we make in-house is a recipe developed before we opened and has not changed due to its popularity. You mention it being sweeter. Again, if I can make the assumption that you have microwaved your roll with the ketchup in it that would result in the change in flavour. As any cook knows, heating a product intensifies the flavour profile. Have you ever eaten warm ice cream and wondered why it tastes sweeter? Your microwaving the roll could most certainly have made the ketchup sweeter and, depending on the length of the radiation assault, reduced the ketchup making it stickier. So not only have you made the bread soggy you have sweetened the ketchup. Once the product leaves my premises, unfortunately I can't be responsible for what you choose to do with it. I only hope you don't have a pressure cooker where you work!

Sausage 'barely' cooked? Sorry, it was cooked to a temperature much higher than the specified safe degree. We temperature probe so we can be sure.

Once again, I apologise if the comment you overheard offended you. But may I suggest being a little more careful with your microwaving techniques in future and possibly be aware of a few culinary facts before posting on a public forum?

In the spirit of good will, please do get in contact with me personally and I will let you have one of our comprehensive factsheets from our very successful and popular breadmaking classes. It details how real bread should be treated and what should be avoided, microwaving for example.

And of course there is a complimentary breakfast roll on me. As long as you promise not to microwave it!

Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

Another fantastic class at station house at the gluten free course and in for nicks 30 min meal course too can't wait and look forward to doing it again thanks again nick

1  Thank mummystace
Nick M, Owner at Station House Cafe & Cookery School, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2018

I really enjoyed the gluten free class and I'm glad you did too. Lots more to choose from online. See you again soon.

Reviewed 14 March 2018

So enjoyed this class and learnt sooooo much. Nick’s enthusiasm is infectious and he has so much info and advise to pass on. Looking forward to joining another class.

1  Thank gillianrowlinson

Thank you so much and I'm really glad you enjoyed the class. Looking forward to seeing you again. The full programme for the summer is on our website now!

Reviewed 10 March 2018

We’ve called in here a few times for coffee, scones and had the afternoon tea at Christmas.
The coffee is excellent the homemade baking is to die for .
Not many seats though as it’s also a cookery school which is what they want to focus on ..but check the opening times online and call in , you won’t be disappointed

2  Thank sylviaYorkshireDales

What a great review and I'm very glad you liked our in-house baking. We do everything we can, even churning our own butter. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 6 March 2018

Nick is passionate and knowledgeable about food and all aspects of cooking. The courses are informal with the information being passed on in a relaxed easy going manner. You need have no fear of your personal cooking ability, everything is well explained.
There are useful tips being imparted all the time, most of which cannot be found in a cookery book
The courses are highly recommended. Oh, and the coffee is superb too!

1  Thank dmjardine
Nick M, Owner at Station House Cafe & Cookery School, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2018

So glad you enjoyed it and I'm glad you got a lot from the class. See you again soon!