“Average fare”

Glentress Peel Cafe
Ranked #26 of 46 Restaurants in Peebles
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Peel Cafe is situated in Glentress, Peebles, the most popular forest in the Tweed Valley. Open 9am - 5pm Mon - Frid and 9am - 6pm Sat & Sun. It's the ideal spot to grab a cuppa & cake and great food served all day.
Reviewed 5 December 2017

So after our 4 mile walk around the beautiful Glentress Forest we visited for the 1st time the Peel Cafe. it looks great and has sofas and a good selection on the menu. The coffee itself was good however we ordered a bacon & sausage roll and for £3 each it was decidedly average. The place promises so much the layout home baking etc but it doesn't quite deliver. I wanted it to be good but it didnt quite hit the mark and maybe that was just a one off on our visit.

Reviewed 9 October 2017

Always a great place to visit here either before or after biking. Great choice of food and drinks to choose from. Good prices and great atmosphere with fellow bikers enjoying the food aswell.

Reviewed 25 September 2017

My friends, family and I have been regular visitors to Glentress for the best part of 15 years now. The original Hub cafe went down a storm with the regulars, it was so sad to see it go. Needless to say, any replacement for the original cafe had very large boots to fill. I never really had an opinion on the current Peel cafe until recently. It served a purpose without trying too hard, and the food was acceptable... Lets face it, you'll eat pretty much anything after a long day on the trails!
My last visit however, was just not acceptable at all. I went there for a post ride feed, ordering a chili dog and fries, with a flat white coffee - The gruel they call chili was cold and didn't have much taste to it, the bun had mold on it, and the coffee tasted of soap. I'm not normally a complaintive person, but when I'm paying good money for such bad quality food, something had to be said. I subtly pointed out the moldy bun to a waitress, she was very apologetic and offered to have the chef make another meal for me. To which I declined and asked for a refund. I would have left it at this, if it wasn't for another member of staff, possibly the manager, arrived with my money, and very matter of factly informed me that my bun was fresh that morning, and that what I had identified to be spores of mold, was in fact part of the box were transported in... So now you've got your 2 star review!

1  Thank Johann J
Reviewed 23 September 2017 via mobile

So, when will this place realise that it's loosing local business hand over fist. I came in for for the first time in ages, didn't recognise a single person working here, or local person eating here, and the place was almost empty which for nearly 12pm on a Saturday is shocking.

Now not saying this should be a place only for locals, but this is a small borders town. At least employ some local people!

Also to make matters worse, friend ordered a burger which was almost raw on the inside and was sent straight back. My panini (which I asked if it had a side salad) come with two small leaves of lettuce, one slice of tomato, and a tea spoon of coleslaw. To make matters worse the panini was tiny.

Seeing as they have cut their menu to a fraction of what is used to be it really shouldn't be hard to get these things right!

So, seeing as said 12 months ago, I wouldn't go back, this time I need to stick to my guns! Awful experience. Much better places nearby.

1  Thank PipJim_Pees
Reviewed 8 September 2017 via mobile

Visited the Peel Cafe after mountain biking, great food, (mars bar krispy cake & latte...best!). The cafe & hub are kept so clean, plenty of space to sit & park your bike. Definitely worth a visit.