“Excellent attention to detail, fantastic food”

The Great Room Restaurant Merchant Hotel
Ranked #41 of 1,202 Restaurants in Belfast
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 5 April 2016

Enjoyed a fabulous dinner here last night with my husband for our first wedding anniversary. My high expectations were not disappointed.

Upon arrival, i was immediately spotted from across the room by the friendly maitre'd who accommodated me in the lounge area with a mocktail (delicious) and some small snacky type things, along with a glass of water (nice touch), and menus to peruse.

We were shown to our table, promptly attended to with breads etc (delicious - fresh out of the oven). Service was impeccable the whole night, not intrusive, very respectful and efficient.

We opted for the two course set menu - myself for main and dessert (being 8 months pregnant doesn't leave me with a lot of room in my stomach these days i'm afraid!), and my husband for starter and main. Husband's crab starter looked and tasted fantastic (from what he told me!) and as a rather nice gesture they brought me out a tiny teacup of the carrot soup as an amuse bouche type thing since i hadn't ordered a starter. Not necessary, but appreciated - it was delicious!

Mains - Husband opted for venison (fantastically executed) and i had the steak. A bit of a funny business with my ordering the steak rare, the maitre 'd came over to confirm that's definitely how i wanted it cooked (indicating to the fact i was pregnant). I agreed, yes it was absolutely fine to cook it rare (i haven't been adhering to that particular guideline very strictly through pregnancy and baby is just fine) :). However, it would seem perhaps the chef wasn't quite willing to take the same chance and my steak arrived medium rare - quite ok and i didn't complain it was still delicious. We opted for the cauliflower gratin and comber potatoes to accompany - both excellent.

For dessert i had the profiterole swans which were rather beautiful and impressive - honeycomb icecream with it was to die for. Husband opted for a double espresso.

Overall, fabulous room, lots of interesting things to look at, food and service excellent and couldn't be faulted - did not disappoint! Yes it's expensive (although i have to say the mid week set menu was rather good value) but it's well worth it as the quality is superb.

2  Thank Lexy111

Reviewed 26 March 2016

The food we had was fantastic, all cooked to perfection and the flavors were amazing. The service and attention to detail given by each member of staff was exemplary. This is a very special place. We had cocktails in the bar afterwords, again, everything was done to perfection. Highly recommend.

Reviewed 21 March 2016

We went for a drink and decided to sit in the foyer of the Great Room rather than the bar as the real fire in the latter was too hot for us. Impeccable service, a cocktail menu in the form of a book you could buy and delicious cocktails, complete with elegant nibbles. The room is magnificent,very highly decorated in the late Victorian style. It was a wonderful and civilised interlude.

Reviewed 15 March 2016 via mobile

Went for afternoon tea yesterday with 2 friends. First person to meet us on arrival was a member of staff called Peter. Have to say when going to The Merchant I'm sure 90% of people go for a treat as we did yesterday, when treating yourself you like to feel as if you r special, well that's is exactly how Peter made us feel as if we were the only table there, the service was 1st class from talking us through the menu to recommending a beautiful bottle of prosecco. Listening to the ladies at the next table to us they would agree with what I am saying as they were praising Peter also. We ended up staying until 6.30pm (arrived at 12.45) even when Peters shift finished he came into the bar where we were seated to tell us his shift had finished and he hoped we had a good day and would continue to have a good evening, it really doesn't get any better service than that, thank you for a great day. Would highly recommend afternoon tea.

1  Thank Tracy M
Reviewed 5 March 2016 via mobile

The price and the standard of service and food do not match. I agree with other advisors who say what you are really paying for is the surroundings.
I can't say my meal was bad but it was nothing special and my meat was over cooked. Schoolboy error chef!

1  Thank Marmot26