“Weekend break” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Newport
Berkshire
“Weekend break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

went to the celtic manor for a birthday celebration ,stayed two nights in the manor lodge rooms are clean and comfortable but could do with an upgrade that said the rest of the resort is fantastic ate in the olive tree restaurant which was excellant value and food delicious plenty of choice staff very attentive and polite.lots of things to do around the hotel besides golf.will definitely will go back.

Room Tip: book main resort rather than manor house
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bombaysaphire78

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

The manor house has great old world charm and the resort facilities are fabulous. I was disappointed in the quality of the room. I feel as though I was in a late 80's average hotel while in the room. The air conditioner was noisy and had accumulated a large amount of dust. The carpet was old and had missing sections. I was disappointed with the very plain and dated bathroom. Black mold could be found around the backside of the sink and in the shower, the towel heater didn't work, and the tub leaked.

Parking is limited around the manor and required a hike up long flights of steep stairs with my baggage. When I arrived at the manor I was disappointed lifts were not available in the lobby and had to lug my baggage up the grand staircase in order to access the lift to the fourth floor. To be fair I did not ask for assistance with my bags but can't image how others would manage with their baggage.

The rest of the manor house was very nice and I enjoyed the resort side of the hotel. The food was great in the restaurants and the wait staff understood formal dinning etiquette in the way they served and cleared.

I'm not a golfer but the course looked very nice. I enjoyed a hike along the marked trails, but was disappointed in the amount of trash. The tree line course looked fun and the pool area was very nice. The other buildings on the grounds make it fun to explore other areas.

Will I stay here again? I believe so but will try the resort side rooms and not the manor house.

Room Tip: You might try the resort side.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

I stayed at th4 Manor house on Good Friday as a stop over en route to visit family in Pembrokeshire. We usually stay at the resort hotel but due to our late booking , there were no rooms available so we took a room at the Manor house instead. We were looking forward to the experience. Sadly, it did not live upto our expectations.
On arrival at the hotel, a member of staff passed by the front door but made no effort to open the door and assist us with our luggage or even take the time to greet us as new arrivals. This didn't instill me with any great confidence. I went to the front desk to check in and I explained to the lady (with blond hair) on duty that due to our train arriving in Newport, we were earlier than the scheduled check in at 4.00pm. However, as we had stayed at the resort hotel before, which I am sure would have shown up on the system and even arriving before 4.00pm the staff were always very welcoming and checked us in immediately. There was nobody else in reception so there certainly was no rush of guests checking in. In fact, the feeling from all around the building was one of being rather quiet and empty.I would have thought that from a 11.00am check out to a 2.15pm arrival, with a window of 3 hours would have allowed time for rooms to be prepared. We were asked to leave a mobile number and we would be contacted when our room was available. We went to the bar in the main hotel for lunch. We were never phoned not even a courtesy call to inform us that our room would not be available before 4.00pm. If you market your hotel as a 4 / 5 star hotel than it is necessary to provide a level of service that merits this rating.
In the bar, we ordered a cocktail before lunch and were relaxing into our stay. I was horrified to be suddenly presented with the bill for our drinks without even being asked if we required anything else. It made us feel that the waiting staff were suspicious that we might do a runner.Once again, this level of service is unacceptable. Guests should always be made to feel welcomed and put at ease.
We returned to reception where a gentleman on duty was very welcoming and checked us in. Our room was adequate but tired, again it needs a complete overall in line with the star rating of the hotel and the type of clientele it is aimed at. A nice touch was that some Easter eggs were placed on the bed. Sadly, there were no glasses or ice bucket in the room. I contacted room service and was informed that there would be a £4.50 tray charge for delivering an ice bucket and 2 wine glasses, something that should have been in the room already. I fully understand a tray charge in term of room service food delivery but this was outrageous. The delivery of such items would have merited a tip being given which is my right as a guest to give but not something that I should be forced to pay. I spoke to a lady called Dawn from guest relations who I found to be patronising and condescending. She actually had the audacity to comment on guests bringing drinks into the hotel and that as a hotel they don't charge corkage. I could not believe my ears. First of all, it certainly is not her position to coment on what guests bring into a hotel. I found this comment to be totally unprofessional and it certainly did not paint in a good light the management structure or ethos of the hotel. I have stayed in 4 and 5 star hotels all over the world, which I realise is not relevant here but I can honestly say that I have never seen such poor level of service from an emplyee in such a position. Secondly, corkage in a restaurant associated with a meal, I can fully understand as this is the diners choice to eat at sucha an establishment but this is very poor service and certainly does not reflect the image of a 4/5 star hotel. She also went on to explain that bringing such items to a room meant that the staff would be taken away from other duties. Have I missed the point here but surely the purpose of a hotel is to provide service and care to its guests. As a student, I worked at the 5 star Palmer House and Towers (Hilton hotel) on Michigan avenue in Chicago, Illinois and as an employee of room service, we delivered items requested by guests to their rooms and so made tips which added to our wages. Needless to say neither ice bucket or glasses (which should have been in the room antway) were ever delivered. Yet, in the main hotel, ice machines are provided on each floor.
In the evening, we ordered room service, which was very good indeed and the waitress who delivered was very polite. I was however rather shocked to see the same service tray outside my room when we went for breakfast at 9.00am. Again, this creates a very poor image with regards attention to detail. When checking out, we met the same gentleman who checked us in the previous day. I have to thank him very much for organising our car to the train station and for his overall professionalism and customer care.
I have always enjoyed my visits to the Celtic Manor but this experience is one that I would gladly forget.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank maguireven
bigkev999
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

Stayed here good Friday on a golf night away with 3 friends,we booked through your golf travel and paid £120 for 1 night and two rounds including breakfast each.

First of all the manor house is an old part on the resort about 300yaxs from main resort building but please note that younare connected to the main hotel by in building walkways and escalators. The manor house is lovely and old styles with a nice breakfast took and sports bar down stairs.
Rooms do the job and have every thing you would expect.

I must say the whole resort pasted my expectations service was amazing and so helpfull, we were adised of a local curry house 5mins away that was nice and £4 cab ride from this we walked in the the local valley town to a couple 'local' pubs. Got back to resort about 11.30 and still plenty of time to drink in the main resort lobby bar.

Golf courses were great and we will be returning ! Maybe with the family as they will have lots to do while I get a round in, please note that they have expanded the resort since the Ryder cup and now there is plenty of stuff to do for everyone and a great looking spa

Room Tip: Ask to be on the first floor or the manor house longer walks to the main resort but easier to get ab...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank bigkev999
Leicestershire, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

The Manor House is part of the Celtic Manor resort, but to be clear it is a different building and is not of the same standard as the resort hotel itself, which is of course reflected in the prices. I had a room on the 4th floor, which was a bit tired and really needs a refurbishment, especially the bathroom. Its ok as a buiness hotel if you are here for an event, but I would think twice about staying at the Manor on a personal basis. Breakfast was good however and you do get access to all the facilities of the main hotel, so thats a plus. With a refurb of the rooms this would be worth a 4, but not at the moment.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
0.7 km away
6.9 km away
The Parkway Hotel & Spa
0.7 km away
Premier Inn Newport Wales (M4, J24) Hotel

Been to The Manor House at Celtic Manor? Share your experiences!