“Evening Meal”

The Rib Smokehouse and Grill
Ranked #126 of 471 Restaurants in Newport
Description: The Rib Smokehouse and Grill Succulent rubbed and smoked grills, cooked low and slow. Join us at The Rib Smokehouse and Grill at Coldra Court Hotel for house smoked dishes with southern influenced flavours. Dining at The Rib Smokehouse and Grill is all about the experience; the atmosphere, the aromas and above all, the mouthwatering flavours. Enjoy intensely flavoured Southern influenced cooking, treated to our secret recipe house rub and cooked low and slow in our hickory wood-fired smoking ovens. We also serve traditional Sunday lunch every Sunday from 1pm.
Reviewed 4 April 2018

The serving staff were attentive, and the dining area is good - not too cluttered / packed with tables, so you get a bit of space.
The food is all well cooked, but I was disappointed by the range and quality of it. I had
Paprika, Lime and Coriander Half Chicken. The dish was overpowered by a sweet barbecue sauce, with the chips and coleslaw coming in fashionable (but completely unnecessary) additional containers on the same plate.
I felt the desserts and starters were quite expensive for where the hotel appears to want to pitch itself (which seems to be a gastro pub with American influences).
Overall, not really for me.
I have also previously stayed here on business. The breakfast is good. The rooms are functional, although the plumbing can make a lot of noise in some. The hotel is showing its age a little - it is a bit tired.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

The food was okay, it is expensive but you expect that. Did not expect to be told to wait in Reception when the restaurant was half empty. Had it not been for an amazing waiter we would have gone elsewhere.

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

Booked a table here as we were staying in the coldra court. First impressions were busy, tables are close together. We started with the bread which was nice. I had the pork belly and my husband had the lamb rump. Both dishes were lovely. For desserts I had the jelly and custard he had the sticky toffee pudding. Mine was a custard slice which was ok with some white chocolate stuff which was lovely but the jelly was so sour I couldn’t eat it.
Staff-nobody asked if our meals were ok after we received them. We had a different server each time (I’d prefer the same person throughout), the waiter took my watermelon fizz drink before I had finished. They do add a optional service charge on your bill, now I’m not against giving a tip and I will for good service, but 10% charge just for the two of us?? I would expect it if there was a group of us.
Breakfast- staff were more friendly at breakfast service. Good choice of food, but £15 for breakfast?? £6 for cereal?? Good job we had booked bed and breakfast as I wouldn’t have paid these prices

Reviewed 28 March 2018

Had a 2 course dinner in The Rib Smokehouse with friends. Both courses were no better than average in quality and presentation but quantity was fine. The service before, during and afterwards for coffee was very poor. Even just 3 coffees took 15 minutes. Having dined in 4 Celtic manor owned restaurants all of which were excellent this was a big disappointment. We are very unlikely to return. The food and service levels certainly do not merit the charhes.

Reviewed 6 March 2018

Meals were included in our golf package and were perfectly adequate if not spectacular. Breakfast was very good and as it was buffet style you could have a good start for a round of golf.