Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
ABombon
Cardiff, United Kingdom

Enjoyable stay

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 13 Jan 2022
We stayed for a night and enjoyed our stay in Parkgate Hotel! The room was lovely and spacious , staff are friendly and we love the spa! We would book again next time just to relax and have a break!

-Mrs Bombon
Responded 14 Jan 2022
Dear Abombom,

Thank you so much for sharing your recent experience at The Parkgare Hotel. Your feedback means a lot to us. We are specially grateful you enjoyed our unique Thermal Suite experience.

We look very much forward to your return.

Kind regards,
0.5 km from The Parkgate Hotel
Bar/Lounge
View more hotels in Cardiff
1,133 results
All reviews thermal suite park gate elemis products room restaurant old post office superior suite beautiful hotel westgate street front of house manager birthday treat spa facilities dressing gowns rugby stadium beautiful room coffee machine city centre afternoon tea
Selected filters
Reviewed 10 January 2022

We booked the Parkgate Hotel last minute. When booking last minute, it resulted in a couple of queries. I contacted the hotel Reception and Sophia (one of the Receptionists) responded to my email very promptly, and communication was very courteous and professional.

The NCP car parking for the hotel is easily accessible.

Electronic communication from the hotel shows the forward thinking brand the Celtic Collection is. They clearly explain where to park, and how to get discount car parking in the City - and the benefits of downloading the Celtic Collection App prior to arrival.

What set the hotel apart from any other we have stayed at across Europe is the ease of arrival with the the App. You can complete your check in on the app, the app will tell you your room number and use your phone as your door key. You can also use the app to see availability at the restaurant, and to make reservations at the brand's restaurants. It can also be used to see a summary of room charges and also to check out when you depart. So if you want avoid personal contact this is perfect. So today in Covid times, this really makes a difference.

When we arrived at the hotel, the entrance lobby to the hotel is magnificent. It is a little different to the usual design, with the reception tucked away in the corner of lobby. This showed how forward thinking the brand is - showing real character that a terrific listed building could mix with 21c technologies such as what has been developed with the app to make a contactless process if that is what you wish. We are regular visitors to the collections other hotels, and we know the app was developed as a result of the Covid pandemic.

We did have a couple of queries whilst at the hotel which resulted in personal contact with Georgia which was as pleasant in person as it was by email. It is quite clear that from our communication with Georgia that all staff a well trained in dealing with customer queries. Staff were dressed incredibly smart too.

The bedrooms were incredibly well furnished, with really comfortable king size bed. The bathroom was also very well designed.

We did have some queries which were escalated to the front of house manager, Phillippa. Phillippa dealt with these promptly and with real professionalism. It showed the true qualities of a top quality establishment when the front of house manager had such a vast experience of hospitality and could have conversations about such a range of queries that customers bring. Not only did she resolve all of our queries, we enjoyed the conversation about our travels.

All the other staff we dealt with during our stay were always helpful, courteous and professional.

We dined at the hotel twice for lunch and once for an evening meal during our two night stay. The menu is on the higher end of the price scale for Cardiff, but it was very clear from the quality of furnishings in the setting, and most importantly, the quality of food that you won't be disappointed. I have a number of food allergies, and these are always a test to find out what food is freshly prepared in house - and the culinary team at "The Sorting Office" had allergens awareness sorted which enabled us to dine with confidence.

We used the Thermal Suite at the Spa during our visit, and this was once of the nicest spa facilities we have visited in our trips through Europe. The view from the 6th floor Hydrotherapy pool is of the Principality Stadium, which is one of Wales significant landmarks.

The cleanliness of the hotel is superb, as well as the location. It is only a couple of minutes walk from the city centre.

When are regular visitors to Cardiff and we will definitely return in the future to see how the hotel evolves. Great hotels are not only abut the building itself, but the staff who are employed at it . If I had to make a prediction, I think it will quickly become one of Cardiff's very top hotels as it appears as if the Parkgate Hotel will have both.

Room tip: Have a room overlooking the entrance
Date of stay: January 2022
Ryan Parry, Guest Services / Front Office at The Parkgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2022

Dear Deanosaurous,

Thank you for your 5* review. We are so pleased you took the time to leave us such a lovely review. I am delighted to hear that throughout your stay you received such great service from the team, and you found the overall standard of the hotel and bedroom to a high quality finish that we had aimed for. I will share your kind words with the team and in particular Sophia, Georgia and Phillippa. It nice to read you used our digital services to its full potential offering you more time to relax during your stay. We strive for world welsh hospitality excellence and The Parkgate Team look forward to welcome you back in future.

Reviewed 10 January 2022

Writing on behalf of my grandparents who stayed at the hotel on Wednesday. They have said how amazing the venue and stay was- particularly the breakfast staff and breakfast manager. They were so friendly and attentive. One comment they passed on to evening staff was there was no crackers/biscuits to accompany their cheese board. Overall a very pleasant visit.

Date of stay: January 2022
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Ryan Parry, Guest Services / Front Office at The Parkgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2022

Dear Lauu_j28,

Thank you for such an amazing review, on behalf of your grandparents. I am delighted to read their comments about the breakfast staff and manager Louise, Alan and the team. I will ensure that your positive recommendations are passed along to the food and beverage and Sorting room management. I will pass on the error regarding no crackers/biscuits to the Executive head chef. I am certain this was a isolated mistake. We can't wait to welcome your Grandparents back soon.

Front Office Team

Reviewed 9 January 2022

We stayed as a family of 5 for 3 days before Christmas in 2 x " junior " suite rooms .
We have stayed at Celtic Manor resort hotel a few times at Christmas and loved this .
We were excited about staying in a new hotel next to rugby stadium

Positives
1) Hotel very clean - but then again its new !
2) Fantastic location in city - 5 mins from great shops / great bars / great restaurants etc
3) Its in Cardiff - the best city in UK !
4) Beds are comfortable
5) We were forced to evacuate 1 room due to risk of flooding - and were moved to a room that looked like picture on website !
6) Spa virgin so nothing to compare this to but very relaxing - just wished you could have exclusive use as people arriving every 30 minutes

Negatives

1) Room did not look like anything like picture on internet- until we were " evacuated "
2) Breakfast was just awful - often very little food put out so buffet ran out all the time, lovely staff wandered around aimlessly / black pudding so hard and dry you could break teeth ( maybe someone did as it dissppeared day 3 )/ a lot of " hot food " was stone cold and still overcooked
3) Breakfast bookings - if you did not pre-book a slot 24- 48 hours before you had to eat at 7.45 am or 10.30 am - if a premier inn was nearby I would have gone there...
4) Although reception staff were all exceptionally lovely and it appeared would remain calm even if the hotel was burning down around them - they got charges on rooms wrong , again and again and again and again and kept charging us for more and more nights / rooms again and again and again- its 2022 and we are still having to wait for a very large refund - and they are probably still charging our credit cards
5 ) You have to park in NCP -and its hassle to pay with hotel discount /if you have a big family car - its a very small car park
6) Spa changing rooms - shampoos / soap etc had all run out and not replaced / other residents had left ? blood stained towels stuffed into cupboard under sink / given wrong information about ages allowed in spa by reception

All of that said - we would book again for the brilliant location , fantastic time we had in Cardiff and just eat somewhere else ...

Date of stay: December 2021

Dear Nicola G,

Our management team take onboard all guest feedback and I thank you for highlighting these areas which will be taken to discussion with our management team to look at improvements that could be made from the review you have made. Thank you once again. If you would like to discuss your feedback further please send your contact details to us at receptionpgh@celtic-collection.com who will ensure that the appropriate manager gets in touch as soon as possible.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 7 January 2022 via mobile

We stayed just before Christmas as a last minute get together as a family and could not have been happier! Optimistic as we are usual Celtic Manor guests and just had to try this new hotel out.

The entrance was just gorgeous and the Christmas decor was very beautiful. The staff on reception were so attentive and polite they even asked us general questions about our day and Christmas etc, felt like they were really interested in taking the time out with us. We were shown where everything was, again lovely Christmas decor made you feel in the spirit that much more! The room was just stunning, from the color scheme to the bathroom toiletries to the bed ( the comfiest bed I’ve slept on in years ) the view of the principality stadium was a bonus especially for Rugby fans!

The restaurant looked Devine but we didn’t get to book in as it was very busy during the Christmas period. Another one for future! We had breakfast in the morning which was biggest style and very nice indeed. The staff were lovely and catered to our needs as we had a family member with allergies. We didn’t get to use the spa however we did pop up to see what the fuss was all about it and it looked gorgeous! Will be on our to do list on our next visit for sure!

Check out was a breeze, very busy but the staff seemed to cope with grace and ease none the less.

All in all a great stay, was an absolute pleasure and the location was just fab! Literally arms length to the city centre shops and all the local amenities. We will be back again for definite and hopefully for longer! Well done Celtic Manor you’ve got a gem there!

Date of stay: December 2021
1  Thank Y2757QUsophias
Ryan Parry, Guest Services / Front Office at The Parkgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2022

Dear Y2757QUsophias,

Thank you very much for your 5 star review. We are delighted that were were able to exceed your expectations this time and really deliver the 5 star customer service standards that we pride ourselves on. We are so pleased the hotel spread the festive cheer and the Décor of the hotel lived up to your expectations. We very much appreciate your kind comments and look forward to sharing your feedback with the entire team. Hopefully on your return you'll use our thermal suite experience.

Ryan Parry

Reviewed 6 January 2022 via mobile

I decide to treat my wife and daughter to a shopping trip for the new year, and picked this hotel seeing as it was new, I was hoping for a pleasant experience. But It turn out to be just average.
Firstly we turned up to reception, where there were two receptionists, the first receptionist who checked us in told us our room was 213, so off we went in search for 213.
10mins later we had worked out that 213 didn't exist, so I went back down to the reception.
The first receptionist had gone so I spoke to the second receptionist. She seem puzzled by this, so she went on the computer to find out what had happened but could find any information of us checking in. Then she disappeared to go and find the first receptionist who found the information straight away.
So I asked why did she give us a room that doesn't exist, just to be told that she must have mistaken it for today's date. 🤔? 4th January.
Then I was told we are staying in room 437.
On arriving to the room there was no bed set up for my daughter, so I rang reception to ask why. She told me I was only booked in for two guests, I told her I had booked for my wife, daughter and myself. She then asked if my daughter had checked in the same as us. She was stood right next to us when we booked in, you actually looked at her.
I was then told someone would be up to sort the bed out.
I decided to go down and speak to the receptionist face to face.
When I got there she said straight away that i had booked for 3 guests.
We had only been in the hotel for 20mins and I was baffled by this confusion.
Any way on arriving back to my room we had to wait another 15mins for someone to make up a bed for my daughter.
So on conclusion, the receptionists could do with some more training. I'd expect checking in to be a bit more smother for the price I paid.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Ryan Parry, Guest Services / Front Office at The Parkgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2022

Dear jonathanfI5690TD,

I am ever so disappointed to read that on the day of your arrival the seamless and smooth check in journey wasn’t what you experienced. I am confident that the whole team are trained and I follow up with the receptionist that checked you in to see what the mistake was. We always write the room numbers on the key wallets. However, I am deeply sorry this ruined your experience with us. I know this is a isolated mistake and not a true reflection of the 5* standards we endeavor to. While welcoming you back will not erase your previous experience I can only hope that it will allow for the opportunity to create a new wonderful experience should you allow us to host you again at the hotel.

Kind Regards,