Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Jonathan F
Llanelli, United Kingdom

Confusing checking in receptionists.

3.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 5 Jan 2022via mobile
I decide to treat my wife and daughter to a shopping trip for the new year, and picked this hotel seeing as it was new, I was hoping for a pleasant experience. But It turn out to be just average.
Firstly we turned up to reception, where there were two receptionists, the first receptionist who checked us in told us our room was 213, so off we went in search for 213.
10mins later we had worked out that 213 didn't exist, so I went back down to the reception.
The first receptionist had gone so I spoke to the second receptionist. She seem puzzled by this, so she went on the computer to find out what had happened but could find any information of us checking in. Then she disappeared to go and find the first receptionist who found the information straight away.
So I asked why did she give us a room that doesn't exist, just to be told that she must have mistaken it for today's date. 🤔? 4th January.
Then I was told we are staying in room 437.
On arriving to the room there was no bed set up for my daughter, so I rang reception to ask why. She told me I was only booked in for two guests, I told her I had booked for my wife, daughter and myself. She then asked if my daughter had checked in the same as us. She was stood right next to us when we booked in, you actually looked at her.
I was then told someone would be up to sort the bed out.
I decided to go down and speak to the receptionist face to face.
When I got there she said straight away that i had booked for 3 guests.
We had only been in the hotel for 20mins and I was baffled by this confusion.
Any way on arriving back to my room we had to wait another 15mins for someone to make up a bed for my daughter.
So on conclusion, the receptionists could do with some more training. I'd expect checking in to be a bit more smother for the price I paid.

Date of stay: January 2022
Trip type: Travelled with family
Responded 6 Jan 2022
Dear jonathanfI5690TD,

I am ever so disappointed to read that on the day of your arrival the seamless and smooth check in journey wasn’t what you experienced. I am confident that the whole team are trained and I follow up with the receptionist that checked you in to see what the mistake was. We always write the room numbers on the key wallets. However, I am deeply sorry this ruined your experience with us. I know this is a isolated mistake and not a true reflection of the 5* standards we endeavor to. While welcoming you back will not erase your previous experience I can only hope that it will allow for the opportunity to create a new wonderful experience should you allow us to host you again at the hotel.

AU$156
0.4 km from The Parkgate Hotel
Bar/Lounge
View more hotels in Cardiff
1,187 results
All reviews thermal suite park gate elemis products room restaurant old post office superior suite beautiful hotel westgate street front of house manager birthday treat spa facilities dressing gowns rugby stadium beautiful room coffee machine city centre afternoon tea
Selected filters
Reviewed 6 January 2022 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel in December and I was surprised how beautifully decorated was for Christmas time! The staff was very welcoming and helpful specially in reception. The room was comfortable and spotless. As well the location is amazing, very close to the train station and literally in the city centre, a minute walking from shops and restaurants, then very recommended for people not driving like me.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Pequenaxoaninha
Ryan Parry, Guest Services / Front Office at The Parkgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2022

Dear Pequenaxoaninha,

We are thrilled to learn how much you enjoyed your stay with us at The Parkgate Hotel. We hope to have another occasion to welcome you back for another luxury stay and spread the festive cheer. Specially glad you found my reception team welcoming and accommodating. We can't wait to welcome you back soon.

Ryan
Guest services

Reviewed 6 January 2022

Stayed with my partner for 2 nights. The hotel itself is breathtakingly beautiful, with many of the original features from the old post office preserved. Had a room with spectacular view overlooking principality stadium, and the bed was super comfy. Reception / Spa staff were really friendly, helpful and informative. Breakfast was delicious, lots of choices in the nicely decorated restaurant. Will definitely visit again.

1  Thank cy2022

Dear cy2022,

Thank you for such a lovely review of your stay. I am delighted to read your comments about the service provided by our Spa team during your stay. We are glad the breakfast set you up for the day. We hope to have another occasion to welcome you back for another magical stay.

Kind regards,
Ryan
Guest services

Reviewed 5 January 2022

Stayed on the 4th of Jan for 1 night in a junior suite room (440). Check in was easy and quick and handled very well by an courteous and helpful member of staff. £50.00 deposit taken on card. Room was very spacious and well appointed with queen sized bed, sofa , table with two chairs, coffee machine, separate dressing room. Large tv (screen could do with a clean). Bathroom had a large walk in shower as well as a bath tub all very clean. Wall opposite entry door has had something splashed over it and the carpet was damp in places. Overall the room was very clean.
Enjoyed a couple of drinks in bar which was very quiet, staff again very polite and helpful. Did not book breakfast decided in the morning to give it a go. Could not find anything on website or via QR code in room regarding price of breakfast ( I should of asked ) breakfast was good with many local foods and staff again on top form. Slightly shocked upon check to discover breakfast cost £47 for the two of us.
Would stay again in the hotel.

Date of stay: January 2022
Ryan Parry, Guest Services / Front Office at The Parkgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2022

Dear Pauly,

Thank you very much for your 5 star review. We are delighted that were were able to exceed your expectations this time and really deliver the 5 star customer service standards that we pride ourselves on. Your feedback both positive and constructive allows us to continually improve our products and services and enhance the overall experience for our guests. We always suggest taking up breakfast when booking. Our full welsh breakfast is £15.50. However, I will pass on your feedback to the management team and review our digital experience.

We can't wait to welcome you back.

Reviewed 30 December 2021 via mobile

We stayed for four nights, service throughout our stay was excellent. Our room was very relaxing and luxurious. The food was first class, and room service a real treat. The Spa is fantastic, with great views of Cardiff. The staff were professional, friendly and very helpful. A really excellent hotel in a great location.

Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear CardiffBungy,

Thank you so much for sharing your recent experience at The Parkgare Hotel. Your feedback means a lot to us. I am delighted to hear that throughout your stay you received such great service from the team, and you found the overall standard of the hotel and bedroom to a high quality finish. I have shared all your kind words with the team.

We look very much forward to your return.

Warm Regards,
Reception Manager

Reviewed 22 December 2021

After the hype about the place, we went in for a drink. It has been nicely renovated and the entrance is impressive.
The bar on the other hand is a different kettle of fish! Large and soulless would best describe it.
The 2 barmen were fairly gormless and I overheard a conversation with another customer about a couple of drinks they were unable to make as they had not heard of them. Honest perhaps but find out discreetly and see if you can deliver, especially as your are building a reputation.
Took an age to be served despite it not being very busy and the drinks were not served in the correct glassware.
Distinctly underwhelmed

2  Thank 447iains
Ryan Parry, Guest Services / Front Office at The Parkgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2021

Dear 447iains,

I do appreciate you taking time out of your day to give us this feedback. It is not our intention for any of our guests to leave feeling dissatisfied with any part of the service they receive, on that basis your feedback will be invaluable to us.

All comments shall be passed on to the relevant management team to ensure these issues are addressed accordingly.

Please accept my sincere apologies in regards to your experience not being met with our usual high standards.

Reception Manager