Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Wayne R
Gloucester, England, United Kingdom

Lovely Hotel , great stay

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 20 Dec 2021via mobile
The hotel is very well presented and being new and decorated to high standard it’s a pleasure to stay here. The room was lovely great bedding / bed good quality fixtures and fittings. The staff we spoke to were very professional and courteous. Only had breakfast but it was lovely , great selection . I’ve stayed in all of the main hotels in Cardiff over the years and this is by far the best! Highly recommended
Date of stay: December 2021
Room Tip: Do t be put off my the street location, buildings around as part of growing city!
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Responded 20 Dec 2021
Dear Wayne,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback regarding your stay here at The Parkgate Hotel Cardiff.
I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate the time you have taken to provide your feedback. We are very pleased your found our bedding given you maximum comfort and you enjoyed our welsh hospitality. Your kind words have been forwarded onto the whole team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel.

Warm Regards,

0.4 km from The Parkgate Hotel
Bar/Lounge
View more hotels in Cardiff
1,178 results
All reviews thermal suite park gate elemis products room restaurant old post office superior suite beautiful hotel westgate street front of house manager birthday treat spa facilities dressing gowns rugby stadium beautiful room coffee machine city centre afternoon tea
Selected filters
Reviewed 20 December 2021

Underwhelming and overpriced.

Room: Superior Junior Suite. Clean, comfortable but nothing special.

The Sorting Room restaurant: Overpriced and would have been disappointed at half the price. Well below standard. Waiting staff/service very slow. Despite paying for 3 course set menu in advance, left restaurant before third course because we didn’t want to wait any longer.

Spa: ridiculous that guests have to pay an additional £25 per person for 90 minutes to use the pool, especially when it’s marketed as a selling point for the hotel. This should be made clear when booking. Never stayed at a resort/spa hotel where I have then had to pay to use the facilities.

Overall, very disappointing. Staff don’t seem to care about guest experience. Better hotels close by.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Ryan Parry, Guest Services / Front Office at The Parkgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2021

Dear Z6151YQ,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We will always take constructive feedback onboard. Our Junior Suites offer plenty of space to relax. With sumptuous King bed, a comfortable sofa to curl up on, a desk for working or beautifying, a coveted coffee machine and a stunning bathroom complete with walk-in shower, they are the perfect choice for an indulgent weekend break for two. The Junior Suites also offer exclusive additional features including, Nespresso coffee machine and premium Elemis toiletries. From (34 sq. m).

I was surprised the décor wasn't to your taste, embracing a chic blend of classic-meets-contemporary luxury. Styled rooms around its own features in-keeping with the hotel’s historic architecture. Our headboards in the rooms are a prime example of original features, which carries from the original post office ceiling.

Regrading our set menu our prices reflect Cardiff Central are very competitive £24 for two course and £29 for three courses on lunch. I have passed on your feedback to the Restaurant Management team for further comment.

Our spa facility is unique by offering a hydrotherapy infinity pool bath overlooking the Welsh Capital, heated volcanic beds and sauna/ steam room. We were pleased to learn you enjoyed the overall facilities. All information is on our website for you to view before hand.

Kind Regards,
Ryan Parry
Reception Manager

Reviewed 18 December 2021 via mobile

Absolutely awful restaurant . Took 45 mins for starters to arrive . We were having a Christmas party and apparently enjoying ourselves too much and we’re told we could have no alcohol as we were enjoying ourselves too much. And then told to leave after our starters as we were told we were an embarrassment . In the end after the appalling service decided to leave and had amazing main course at le monde . There was no one in the restaurant. This restaurant is one to avoid if your looking to have a good time and enjoy yourself . Absolutely soulless

Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank 90kimberleyl
Phillippa Kadam, Guest Services / Front Office at The Parkgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2021

Dear Kimberly,

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry you felt the service provided during your visit to The Sorting Room was not up to the highest standards. Our guests enjoying themselves will always bring a smile to our faces, as we do pride ourselves on creating wonderful experiences and lasting memories. We have however unfortunately felt that our polite reminders to be considerate of others were not taken on board. Along with delicious food and carefully selected wines, we do also strive towards a lovely, enjoyable atmosphere for all of our guests. It is our duty of care and the love for customer service, that brings our esteemed guests back time and time again. Should any group of guests or individuals be found non-compliant, they would normally be asked to leave.

Warm regards, Guests Services

Reviewed 17 December 2021

Good morning, everyone.I would like to share my unpleasant experience with Park Gate Cardiff with you. I was invited to celebrate Christmas from the company I work for, and everything was paid for all of us. Eventhough, the hotel asked me to pay £50 deposit ( just in case if I spend some money at the bar ) The hotel was not accepting Lloyds cards, and I decided to pay for a colleague of mine too. I was promised that this £100 will be given back to me on the following day, but it never happened, and it has been 3-4 weeks now since I attended the party. I was given just promises, but nothing has been done yet. Please be aware of their unfair "business deals"

Trip type: Travelled on business
Phillippa Kadam, Guest Services / Front Office at The Parkgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2021

Thankyou for your review. I'm sorry to hear about the problems encountered with the Pre authorisation on your card upon check out. This amount is released automatically from the hotel on check out. It is then up to your bank to release the funds into your available balance; this can take a maximum of 7-10 working days. The amount will not show on any statement, but will simply be removed from your pending transactions, and replaced into your available balance.

If the amount is still showing as a pending transaction please send your contact details to us at receptionpgh@celtic-collection.com we will ensure the team investigate your billing query and get this resolved for you.

Reviewed 17 December 2021 via mobile

We had a very disappointing stay, and raised a few concerns, which I have attempted to resolve with the hotel, but they have failed to respond to my email. So here is my feedback.

We stayed for a two night break in a superior suite. The room was spacious but staff training and attention to detail is non existent. This is a new hotel which clearly shows. A plethora of areas for development and improvement are much needed and fast!

Issue 1 - not enough towels in the room. I had to ring and request a third towel. This was quickly addressed and we were provided with a third towel.
2 - room service was particularly slow, we were told this would be 45 mins. However waited well over an hour and 20 mins. Eventually when the food arrived it was lukewarm and we were not provided with enough cutlery so my friend ate her dinner with just a knife (we didn’t have the patience to wait to ring down to ask for a fork, which no doubt would have taken a further 10 minutes to arrive) food bill was over £80 for three meals.

3 - only two bottles of water provided in the room, and only two cups and two tea bags - there were three of us booked into this room!

4 - despite there being a fridge in the room, the hotel only provide long life milk instead of fresh milk. I would expect fresh milk given the fact that there is a fridge in the room!

4 - after a morning of shopping we returned to the room to drop off some of our bags, only to find that the room had not been cleaned, and the food from the night before was still sat on the dressing table.
I decided to raise these issues listed above with the staff on the front desk. I was confronted by a accusatory response, being told that I had booked the wrong room as the room was for a child (my friends daughter was 16) I was advised by the hotel when booking that this room was best suited to our requirements. So just to be clear what I was being told was that children are not provided with a towel or any water!! Outrageous. I was so disgusted by the rude and accusatory response that I took the matter up with a manager. She was able to acknowledge my complaints and ensured that we had enough water and towels. She also offered to have any snacks delivered to our room as a goodwill. She also said that she would ensure we would be well looked after in the spa the following morning. At that point I felt more positive.

The next morning I enquired about the parking charges for the NCP over the road, unfortunately it was the same receptionist who I’d seen the previous day. I’d highly recommend she attends some further training on customer service as I found her upmost rude and unhelpful.

We went to the spa as we’d planned, albeit a bit late (25 mins) . I felt like I’d been told off for being late - I was aware that each slot if for 90 mins, so if we only spent an hour that was ok. Apparently not! I’d asked spa staff if the manager had informed them of our visit to which they replied ‘no’ at that point if lost all faith in the hotel. Then there was a wait whilst the spa staff tried to amend our spa booking on the system. I waited patiently, while a manager came to try and resolve the issue, but the staff struggled to use the online system. We waited a bit longer and eventually were allowed to enter the spa. The spa was lovely. We enjoyed the limited time we had. No wet bags though for your swimwear - although I’m not sure why I was surprised about this!

Overall it was a much needed girls weekend away, sadly it was not the high end we’d paid for or were expecting.
We’ve been to much better hotels in Cardiff - which were also significantly cheaper.

I didn’t want to write this review, hence why I tried to contact the manager. But their lack of response sums it all up. Poor

Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank wonderwoman7575

Thank you for your review. I am so sorry to hear about the problems encountered during your stay and I am very disappointed to hear that after our conversation in your room you then encountered further issues with other aspects of your stay. It seems that we really did not get it right for your on this occasion and I would like to offer my sincere apologies. Please be assured that this is most certainly not our normal standards of service and I will be sure to share all of your feedback with our senior team.

I have reached out to you directly regarding your feedback and shared my contact details. I do hope that we will be able to discuss your concerns over the phone and restore for faith in the Parkgate Hotel.

Front Of House Manager

Reviewed 16 December 2021

Stayed here with a friend for a girly night!

Laurel on reception was lovely, told us all about the hotel and how it used to be a Post Office. We then had drinks in the bar before we went out for the evening.

Room was beautiful and had a nice view of the stadium. Elemis products which was a luxurious touch. Spa was stunning! Had to pay for access but felt exclusive as we were the only guests.

Breakfast was a buffet which was very nice. Coffee was bitter tho.

Will visit again.

Date of stay: December 2021

Thank you for your review! We are delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us at The Parkgate Hotel. I will be sure to share your kind words with the team and in particular Laura our receptionist, who I am sure will be thrilled that you took the time to personally mention her. We hope to have another occasion to welcome you back for another luxury stay.