“Great central hoetl”

Clayton Hotel Cardiff
Ranked #6 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We stayed in this hotel for two nights. I chose this hotel after a previous visit to Cardiff as I liked the central location of the hotel.

First impressions of the hotel were good. The reception area is small but well maintained with seating in the waiting area.
Check-in was quick and straight forward with friendly front desk staff.

We had two double rooms booked. Both rooms were on the sixth floor. both were a good size. Rooms were equipped with a flat screen television, ironing board and iron, tea and coffee making facilities, safe and a very good 2100 watt hair dryer.
The bathrooms are compact and do not have an toiletries apart from large bottles of shampoo/soap on the walls.

We were overlooking the train tracks but the rooms were quiet and you could barely hear the trains.

We had a room only rate so I can’t comment on breakfast.

We did however eat in the hotel bar the first night. The bar food was only mediocre and was very expensive, especially when you compared it to the bars and restaurants within walking distance to the hotel.

I would stay in this hotel again when I return to Cardiff.

Room Tip: Some rooms overlook the train tracks so if you are a light sleeper ask for a room at the front. I wa...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Breezer25
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2012

Dear Breezer25,

I appreciate you taking the time to write your comments on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and will pass your comments onto our team.

I disappointed you did not enjoy your meal with us, however we have recently launched a new menu in the bar & restaurant. The new offering are designed to cater for all our guests and are recommendations from feedback already received.

I hope you will return to stay with us again where you can sample first hand our new menu.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 20 February 2012

We stayed here 1 night over the weekend. It had been booked and paid for well in advance and we were able to avail of a special rate. Fantastic location - a few minutes walk from the Cardiff Motorpoint Arena and a vast range of shops and restaurants nearby. Lovely clean, comfortable rooms. We didn't eat here so I can't comment on the food. Staff very friendly and helpful. Absolutely nothing to fault here. We were all very happy with our stay and would recommend it to anyone. Note: The hotel backs right onto the main railway station. As it was the sat night/ sun morning there weren't too many trains and we weren't disturbed but if you were staying here during the week, it would be wise to ask for a room away from the railway station.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that's not backing on to the railway station.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends

Dear K1Z,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on tripadvsior. I am delighted you found our staff to be friendly & helpful. At the Maldron Hotel we pride ourselves on our customer service & I am pleased you experienced while visiting our hotel.

I will pass your kind comments onto the team.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 17 February 2012

This hotel is ideal as it is minutes from the train station, and within easy walking distance of shops and other attractions. The Motorpoint arena is only a short walk away. The staff were very welcoming and helpful. Although our room was on the 10th floor, we could hear the rumble of trains, so ask for a non railway facing room if you are a light sleeper. The beds were extremely comfortable and better than average toiletries were provided in the bathroom.

Room Tip: Ask for room not overlooking the railway lines
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jaydubsWiltshire
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2012

Dear jaydubswiltshire,

Thank you for your excellent review on tripadvisor. I appreciate the time it takes to share your views. I am delighted you found our staff to be friendly & helpful.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Maldron Hotel Cardiff.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 14 February 2012

We were booked to stay in the Marriott Hotel also in St Marys Street Cardiff. Three days prior to our trip we were told the Marriott had been over booked and we were being transfered to the Maldron just across the road----What a fantastic experience. The room was excellent, great view, very clean and roomy. Staff were very friendly and accommodating. The hotel is in a great location within a few minutes walking distance of much of the centre of Cardiff. We would, without doubt recommend this hotel and will be planning to return.

Room Tip: We were on the top floor (eleven) Never heard a sound
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2012

Dear Pembrooksouthwales,

Thank you for your fabulous review on tripadvisor. We pride ourselves on our customer service & I am delighted you found our staff to be friendly & accommodating.

I will pass your comments onto the team as they truly appreciate the time taken to write your review.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 10 February 2012

Good value hotel in a fantastic location for central Cardiff. Friendly staff and clean rooms. Beds were very comfortable. It was slightly noisy. I was on the second floor overlooking the railway, so I suggest you request a quiet room.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2012

Dear Joolliebel,

Thank you for taking the time to write on tripadvsior.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind Regards,