“Visit at your own risk”

Bunk House
Devon
“Visit at your own risk”
Reviewed 26 March 2012

I have just come back from an over night stay at Bunk House in Cardiff and needless to say, one night was more than enough to spend there. Although the location was great, the staff were rude and unapproachable, the bathrooms were disgusting and the breakfast was dire. On Bunk Houses’ website they confidently state: 'We take customer complaints very seriously. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to improve your stay'. Subsequently when we attempted to tell someone in a polite manner that the cleanliness of the hostel was unsatisfactory, we were told and I quote: 'What do you expect from a hostel, the guests are responsible for cleaning up mess and if your rude to me, I will be rude back'. We weren’t rude; we were simply expressing our concerns, which were quickly greeted with an aggressive and defensive tone. Hostel or no hostel, when you are a paying customer you expect some level of basic hygiene at the very least. We didn’t see a cleaner at any point throughout our stay, even though we were reassured that the premises were cleaned every morning and yet the bathrooms were filthy upon our arrival. The man we spoke to had a complete disregard for customer satisfaction, safety and hygiene. I will not be returning and neither will my friends.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank LaurynMann

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Reviewed 2 February 2012

A stripper recommended I reviewed this place because she said people shouldn't just use this site to moan about horrible experiences. Suffice to say I didn't have a horrible experience in this hostel. The staff didn't look thrilled to see a group of 15 guys on a stag do turn up but that is expected. Our rooms were very clean as were the bathrooms. But the best thing about this place is the location, it is bang in the centre of town with great access to bars and pubs. Didn't get up in time for breakfast. Only problem was that the room was cold at night and they don't let you take booze into the rooms.

• Stayed January 2012
England
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Booked the 16-bed dorm based on price, usually avoid this! Spread our belongings over some free beds then headed out to the bars. I got back before my two friends to find a drunk guy in one of the beds we saved, so hopped in the bed above. When my friends got back at 4am, there was obviously an extra person in the room and I suspected the drunk guy! Went down to the front desk and the security guy came and kicked him out, it turned out he had a key card, but to a different room. Got the bedding changed but then discovered he had also wet the bed, gross!! Since it was after 4am and didn't want to deal with it anymore, ended up squeezing 2 of us into one bunk, so not a great sleep. At check out I asked for a refund but was told I would have to ring the manager the next day, which I did, to be told they would ring me back. They didn't so called again the next day, and spoke to the ACTUAL manager, who knew what I was on about and immediately offered the refund, back onto the card we booked with which took only a few days.
So...happy with the service in the end, despite it taking a while to sort out I wasn't going to pay for a bed we couldn't use!
Breakfast was included, good so long as you like toast, cornflakes and tea, and a scrum to get it, but hey, at least it was cheap.
Good fun atmosphere here also.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 18 October 2011

As I've never stayed at a hostel before, I can only go on what people had told me to expect. The place was very nice, with the staff being very friendly, including letting my friend charge her camera on his computer. They have security at night. Breakfast is from 7-9 and you cannot be late as it will be put away. It's not great (tea, toast with jam, coffee, & cereal) but it gets you going. To get into the actual rooms area, as well as your individual rooms, you have to have a card key so that made it feel extra secure. The rooms/bathrooms were not terribly clean and yes, a lot of the windows did not open so it got plenty warm during the night. They don't charge for the lockers - you just need to provide your own lock. They had 1 computer you could borrow but someone broke it while we were there so who knows the status of it. A couple of us tried to get internet on our phones & ipads but it was very on and off. Overall, I would stay here again, especially given the location and the price.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Layla W
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 26 September 2011

Hostel is in a great location. However, from there the value of it goes downhill. Staff not as friendly or approachable as at other hostels in the UK. Saw the back of reception desk today and they have at least 25 cameras on view 24 hours of all the spaces in the hostel. Not sure if washrooms have cameras too. Felt very invasive! Washrooms are clean, however, sinks are so tiny that water splashes all over your legs when using them. Press faucets in all sinks and even in showers that last 15 seconds only. The automatic sensor lights in the washrooms go off every 8-10 minutes, which means if you are in the middle of performing, you are thrown into complete darkness and have to make your way out the washroom door to wave at the sensor for the light. Very Inconvenient! Also, windows don't open in rooms, so it gets very hot, stuffy and smelly. No kitchen, or fridge or even faucet to get a drink of water. All the food I had brought over from my last hostel was stuck under my bed. Worst Hostel I have stayed at among the last 10 visited recently. Do not recommend, except as maybe a drunk tank, where you just sleep off the night's excess and nothing more.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank B B

Travellers are raving about these Cardiff hotels