“Very impressed”

The Beech Tree
Ranked #63 of 1,350 Restaurants in Cardiff
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Serving British Cuisine with a distinct international influence. Nestled between Cardiff & the Vale. A short distance from the Culverhouse Cross Retail Park.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

My first visit and we dined early evening. There is a set early evening menu for £17.95. I had the pate followed by chicken and then a rather nice gingerbread cheesecake. Sounds odd but was easy to digest and although a huge portion not too heavy. Very good value. A bit disappointed with the limited choice of rose wine but the barman was very helpful and offered us tastes to find an alternative.

Would recommend 100%.

Those that read my reviews regularly know that no review is complete without a mention of the ladies facilities. These were clean, brightly lit, spacious and has lovely Baylis and harding soap and moisturiser.

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

I have been here many times over the years, my most recent visit was over Easter weekend. The fillet steak is out of this world and on par with some of the best restaurants in the world for sure. What amazed me on this trip is that they served us what tasted like and looked like frozen chips. I think your guests deserve better than that rubbish when they pay £25 for a steak

Reviewed 2 April 2018

We have been eating here for many years, always off the a la carte menu and always enjoying the food and service, .it seems that recently the early evening drive time menu has been revamped. A couple of items on this menu caught our eye and we decided on these. This is now a three course menu and at the close of our meal we were more than satisfied. The service was as good as always and the courses were as ample and well presented as any on the a la carte. There is a limited choice of options but if you are dining early evening this menu is well worth checking out. Thoroughly recommended

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

We have dined in this restaurant since it first opened in 1997, in fact we were there when the photographers were taking pictures for the new web site they were creating.

Our most recent visit was a little disappointing, both our main courses were not up to standard, in fact I left most of mine.

But over the last few months little things have changed which we feel reduces the high standards we had come to expect from a restaurant which has been one of the best in our area.

The tables now have imitation flowers, the butter used to be curled, not you get ice cold unspreadable small packs. The latest thing is there is no Maitre d

The staff appear to share this role.

I am not sure whether this is a financial decision but a takes away a sense of class from the restaurant.

If this is for financial reasons I would suggest that Izzy, who has been there for some time would be an ideal person to carry out the role, he is very friendly and has a nice way with people

Reviewed 1 April 2018

Ate here years ago and it was a nice meal. Today's visit for a table of 5 left me and my guests very dissapointed.. Moules Mariner to start, nice sauce but a skimpy portion of mussles that were the size of peas. The calamari is about 5 bits of calamari deep fried to almost burned with a marie rose sauce with caynne pepper on it.The wautress neglected to tell us about the specials as I would have had a rib eye steak but ended up having a sirloin. £25 for a piece of meat half a tiny tomato and 2 leaves of lettuce and about 15 chips in a bowl. The steak was ok but nothing special. Although it was cooked med-rare it had no give or juice. My guest also had a steak and again it was underwhelming. Another guest ordered Duck which arrived with flabby skin.That's just basic cooking skills. When you pay £20 odd it should be perfect. The other 2 guests had fish. The Hake was not cooked properly sent back but The sole was nice. A meal for 5, 3 starters with 2 bottles of wine came to £230. Very poor value.. There is a lot of older people eating fish chips and mushy peas for £10 or so which is probably why the good reviews. If it's off The A La Carte menu I honestly wouldn't bother and save yourself the grief. The staff are pleasent enough. No complaints there it's just the food. Terrible for the price. My dogs were happy with all the left over food I asked them to wrap up so I could take home. Only 1 of us finished our meal and enjoyed it. For the money that's shocking.