“Hidden Gem”
Review of Milkwood

Milkwood
Ranked #158 of 1,350 Restaurants in Cardiff
Reviewed 4 April 2018

This intimate/informal little restaurant is well worth a visit. The menu, although limited in choice, offers a culinary experience. Braised ox cheek was sticky, luscious and flavourful as was the braised lamb ragu. Free range duck breast with duck faggot, rainbow chard and carrot was delicious - particularly the duck faggot which had bags of flavour. Rump of lamb with glazed sweetbreads, braised little gem and wild garlic again packed a punch in the flavour and texture department, (the sweetbreads were gorgeous). We finished with a chocolate delice with clementine and hazelnut between us, the richness of the chocolate was so well balanced with the clementine.
All beautifully presented without being pretentious, staff were friendly and very knowledgeable.

Reviewed 23 March 2018 via mobile

I visited this restaurant with my son , niece and nephew prior to the recent Wales rugby match against France .
I can definitely say the whole experience was top drawer.
The food was excellent , as was the house wine and after dinner port . The pale ale is also to be recommended.
Service was first class .
Will definitely be visiting again but I suspect the wait for a booking will only get longer .

Reviewed 19 March 2018

Three of us ate here last week and we all had a great meal, the menu is short (no bad thing), 2 had the duck and 1 the lamb, all was well cooked and presented, portions are not over large which for us was fine as the quality was great. The desserts were also first class. Wine list is also quite short but interesting enough.
All in all a good experience.

Reviewed 15 March 2018

We've been meaning to try out Milkwood since it opened and finally we did. Overall we loved the food but I'm not sure we'd go again rather than trying the many other restaurants in the area. First the good, excellent in fact - the food was lovely, fish cooked perfectly, meat tasty although my wife's lamb was distinctly on the rare side. Faggots, both lamb and duck were terrific. Vegetables and presentation were refreshing and interesting. So why the 4 star rather than 5? Well firstly we booked several weeks in advance with a note to say that my wife is coeliac and therefore requires gluten free. When we arrived there was no recognition of that fact and when we pointed this requirement out to the waiter the response was " Oh well, no bread for you then!" which was a shame. At this price and quality level our experience at other establishments is consistently significantly better - how much effort does it take to provide a GF roll or at least prior acknowledgement of a customer's requirement? The menu was excellent from a GF perspective so Milkwood redeemed itself but as there's no indication on the menu we did spend a time after the bread comment wondering if there was much to eat for my wife. If we'd walked in from the street I'd not make an issue but as they had ample warning I was surprised that it was handled the way it was. Second issue for me was the prices - overall I thought a little high for the food and expensive for the 175ml glasses of wine. The prices of the bottles of wine were such that we didn't even consider them - maybe more choice might be an option here. Lastly, as others have mentioned the acoustics make it heard to carry out a conversation unless you want everyone else to join in - not sure what could be done about this. We spent £80 for two courses each and 3 glasses of wine between us. We may return, possibly for lunch. The food was great, everything else less so.

Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

Fabulous restaurant. Excellent food with quality wine all served with a smile. We could easily have chosen anything off the menu.