“Unhappy customer”

20:00
Ranked #55 of 99 Restaurants in Caerphilly
Price range: USD 4 - USD 7
Reviewed 17 December 2020

My friend and her husband booked 2 weeks in advance as a birthday treat for me we turned up early for our booking on the 16th Dec we were taken to our table at 1 50pm and told the waiter would be along to tell us when we could go to the carvery, the waiter turned up at 2 10 gave us our cutlery and serviettes took our order for drinks but didnt say a word about when we could go and queue at 2 30 we had had enough no drinks and no idea of when we could get served meanwhile the queue for the carvery was even longer and by the time we would have got served it would have probably been a good hour later so we got up and left but not before telling the young man and the girl on reception the reason we were leaving to get told by the young man who took our drink order that he was very busy which we appreciate but surely if you take an order then you deal with that before you do other things. I suggest you have more waiters and waitressess on duty. A special day was spoiled for lack of service and customer care if your staff can't look after their customers to a reasonable standard then i suggest they find other work or you need to retrain them

Date of visit: December 2020
Write a reviewReviews (502)

Reviewed 12 December 2020

Was greeted by the manageress I believe, tall lady very friendly and helpful. Needed ID from my partner for booking the table, which I didnt understand at first because I've never seen that before. But the lady explained to us very well, helped us with track and trace and made us feel very at ease and welcome entering the restaurant. She explained every single thing she possibly could because it was our first time here (used to go to whitchurch toby carvery before covid)
Got taken to the table and our waiter was Lloyd. Very nice chap, very attentive and helpful. Ordered our drinks and off we went to the carvery.... vegetables replenished constantly when we were waiting. Friendly man on counter. Amazing selection!
Food was absolutely delicious, very tasty. We went for the festive menu for desserts and what a treat they were too. Overall great experience, definitely returning here. But the best part was the friendly warm greetings from lloyd and the manager(sorry didnt catch her name maybe Nia) please thank them from us!

Reviewed 12 December 2020 via mobile

What an absolute JOKE.
Went to this place today with my partner and 2 year old daughter for ‘Breakfast with Santa’.
We was all looking forward to it and my daughter was excited.
We went in, sat down and the waiter asked us if we wanted drinks.
NOTHING was said about the breakfast, other than “go up when you’re ready”, NO signage, NOTHING to explain the procedure.
I went to the breakfast bar, there was a pile of plates and the breakfast items all laid out - there was NO member of staff there, so I just assumed, get a plate and proceed with the buffet.
Surely if there was different rules, we would have been told.
Suddenly, this arrogant, insulting and obnoxious woman appeared “EXCUSE ME! Are you a guest?!”
I said “yes”, then she shouted across the whole restaurant “THIS MAN IS HELPING HIMSELF!” Which was extremely embarrassing, she could have just explained to me and I would have understood, despite not being told earlier or any staff present.
Then I go back to my table and she comes back with this filthy, disgusting attitude and says “WELL, HAVEN’T YOU BEEN HERE BEFORE?”
I said no and I wouldn’t be returning either.
The waiter came across and apologised for not explaining earlier, but NOTHING from this horrid woman who I discovered was the duty manager.
Ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous.
AVOID, AVOID, AVOID unless you like being treated like absolute rubbish.

1  Thank 945leightonb
Reviewed 5 December 2020 via mobile

It was our first visit to Toby carvery in Caerphilly since March given the current situation with covid. Booked table beforehand, on arrival a member of staff asked my sister to show ID of who she was, no track or trace like other places to do, so was unsure how they would contact us if needed. Got taken to our table sat down staff member bought over our cutlery and to my amazement they were not clean at all as picture shows below. I politely asked for a new set from the staff member and no apology or anything from her. Carvery was nice but not very hot.

Reviewed 2 December 2020 via mobile

We used the 50% off app voucher which was super cheap for our meals, food was amazing and staff were brilliant. I will look forward to going back especially when the Welsh pub alcohol ban stops to have a pint.