All reviews goat coach party twin room an update pleasant hotel nice meal lamb top floor some tlc cooked breakfast evening meal non residents overnight stay family room varied menu tea and coffee facilities breakfast room
Reviewed 17 July 2016

Totally disorganised arrived around 8.30pm as we travelled from Southern Ireland around 36 on the coach ordered food day before they know roughly we were coming. Keys not ready coach driver and owner had to stay somewhere else bags put outside wrong door went into dining room. Well the size of my smoke trout was a joke. It was so small eat it in one. It was so tasty best starter I have had all week Wished there was more.very small slice of bread asked for another piece. Was told all the other starters were very tasty. Cheese and walnut started that was very small main corse the lamb was to minty with no selection of veg. Fish was told tasteless same for the sauce. My gammon ham was lovely but the salad was covered in dressing best separate coleslaw was good not enough My chocolate dessert was lovely two bites it was gone very small portion. Crumble was told tasteless ice cream lovely. My starter and dessert was the best that week but silly portions. Most of the guests were walkers and coach parties. They do not want these small portions tried to be too fussy my bedroom was clean with a comfy bed plenty of tea and coffee and lovely biscuits. Heard people walking in room above. Boards creaky I had hot water in the morning, around. 7am Some on the coach did not but they were up around 6.00. Bathroom looked like it has recently been decorated. But toilet seat was disgusting needs replacing stained My partner had a cooked breakfast I had kippers both excellent. Plenty of bread cereal fruit and juice. Friendly service shame so disorganised the night before. Hotel is in a beautiful spot. Apparently it has just been taken over so give them the benefit of the doubt. Could be a lovely hotel. Staff helpful

Room Tip: 22 and 24 seems a quiet location overall just old and creaky
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank patricia w
Reviewed 16 July 2016

Just returned from a coach trip, many people complained about hotel, Food was watery and tasteless, rooms were very dirty and rundown housekeeping was practically non existent. When we entered our room there was a glass of water and some tablets on the table next to the bed,obviously from the previous guests so room wasn't cleaned properly,and outside the window ( room no 8 ) was a shed housing some kind of generator, no door on she'd made a lound droning noise all night,when we asked for a change of room we were told hotel was full but they would turn the noise off. Wouldn't recommend this hotel to anybody.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
3  Thank johnpage55
Reviewed 14 July 2016

Stayed here for 2-nights. Room was fine, if very outdated in its decor however perfectly functional. No aircon but was able to open the window thankfully. Staff were polite but always busy, hard to get served at the bar (but there are a few others in the village), I get the impression the hotel primarily caters a lot to coachloads of elderly tourists, the restaurant was always quite full.
The village is very nice, some good walks in the vicinity.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank VeganABZ
Reviewed 13 July 2016 via mobile

A friendly welcome with comfortable surroundings enhanced by great food and reasonably priced. As soon as we arrived we was made aware that a large party that had just arrived was being catered for. Even though the staff was busy we was seated at a window table and drinks order was promptly served. A few minutes later our food order was taken and served without too much of a delay. We did partake in a excellent desert and had what I can only describe as a leisurely meal in comfortable surroundings.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rottons
Reviewed 28 June 2016

Traveled here on the 28th May for 2 nights with my wife and son.

Hotel is situated at the top part of the village and the surrounding area is stunning, plenty of pubs/restaurants and shops nearby. As stated in other reviews, the hotel itself was understaffed, massively, although the staff that where there we found to be very competent and friendly. The hotel itself has seen better days…..a long time ago and is extremely dated in both its amenities and decor. We met the new owner (owns the Saracens head at the bottom of the village) whilst we were there and he comes over as a very genuine guy, who knows that a lot of hard work and money needs throwing at the place but I’m confident that he will get it sorted, although, going back to the current setup, this may take a little time. There is so much potential for the place it is unbelievable, having eaten at the restaurant, where the food was OK but a little pricey for what it was, it would be nice to pop into the lounge next door for a few drinks but it just wasn’t used, by anyone. It was just like your nans ‘parlor’ used to be like, back in the day. There is free w-fi but the reception is very spotty.

Anyway, going to finish up by saying that I probably will visit again, but not until I see from later reviews that refurbishment has indeed taken place.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family