“Bar Restaurant at the Castle Hotel”

Restaurant at The Castle
Ranked #20 of 61 Restaurants in Conwy
Price range: USD 26 - USD 53
Cuisines: British, Bar
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: High Street
Transit: Trains: There is a main rail stop in the town of Llandudno Junction (a 5 minute taxi ride away), also Conwy has its own station accessed by a fantastic Telford bridge across the Conwy estuary but this is a requested stop, and only a 5 minute walk from the hotel. Buses: Being a world heritage site Conwy is accessed regularly by all bus routes.
Description: Dawson"s at the Castle Hotel Conwy offers inspired use of fantastic local produce to create our Michelin guide recommended, AA 2 rosette awarded dishes that suit all occasions, from a quick bite to eat to that special occasion dinner. With a choice of different areas, bar/lounge and dining room, the ambience and "buzz" of satisfied diners adds to the overall experience and our friendly, un-stuffy service will hope to satisfy your every need. The building dates back to the 16thC but has been transformed with the tasteful marriage of modern, sophisticated style and sympathetic renovation of period features, meaning whichever area you choose to dine in you are sure of being enveloped in over a hundred years of celebrations and good times, the intangible made real. The wine list is also worth note, with no fewer than 19 wines by the glass, from white, to red to rose and then sparkling, you are sure to find a favorite being offered! PLEASE STATE YOUR ROOM PREFERENCE WHEN BOOKING.
Reviewed 13 November 2015

Great Staff, Great food, plenty of good choice wines, beers and spirits, food is good and menu caters for all requirements including a wide range of vegetarian foods.

Reviewed 12 November 2015

The menu is extensive - can recommend the famous risotto but it's all good. The ambiance is warm and friendly, all the staff know the menu well and will give good recommendations if asked. Whether it's lunch or evening meal you will not find a better place to eat in Conwy.

Reviewed 8 November 2015

Firstly I'd like to state that we have eaten at The Castle on many previous occasions, and had chosen the venue for a birthday meal with friends (Saturday 7th November) I have also previously worked as a Restaurant Manager and within 5* hotels previously.
We arrived in two separate couples, the first couple arrived and weren't even acknowledged by the reception staff or shown through to the bar area. Luckily we know our way around!
The food is always excellent at The Castle and they change the menu every so often, which is nice for a bit of seasonal variety. Last night was no exception, it was all delicious. Why the 2 star rating then? I felt compelled to leave a review because I was utterly disgusted at the behaviour of some on-duty, and off-duty staff. The on-duty staff were amateur in the way they spoke to us - quite disrespectfully in fact when one of our friends asked about the belly pork, the reply was "what about it?" in a really rude and abrupt way. I was quite shocked to be honest. Perhaps the decline in professionalism goes hand in hand with the abolition of the smart tie and waistcoat uniform and the introduction of quite shabby looking beige polo shirts with 'Supervisor' embroidered on most. I must also mention the table next to us, who were extremely drunk, loud and disruptive in the bar area. I could not quite believe my ears when I heard that one of the girls on this table was actually the Restaurant Manager! Really?! Do not let your staff have boozy dinners with their mates in the company of paying guests if they don't understand that not everyone is out for a loud, wild night. It was quite embarrassing by the end and we all felt uncomfortable. The icing on the cake is that they now add a 'discretionary' service charge onto ALL BILLS - even though we were only a table of 4! I believe in tipping well, if we have good service, but we all felt it was an absolute cheek to be adding this onto our bill after the shambolic service we received. A real shame but definitely something that can improve with training and guidance from Senior Management, lets hope they take the hint!

3  Thank ARoberts01
plavin1906, Owner at Restaurant at The Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2016

Thank you for your review - I did respond at the time - but Tripadvisor "rejected" it! It's funny, but anyone can write what they want about us - no censorship - but not the property's 'right of reply'!
If anyone wants to know what I wrote - give me a call!

Reviewed 30 October 2015

We had a meal in the bar here,not our first, and were disappointed to be served a Nespresso coffee.The food as always was first class, Surely an establishment of this quality should not be serving coffee that I could do myself at home. I see from a previous review that going next door for a coffee was put forward as an option.
This smacks of laziness. Come on Castle please rethink and keep up your reputation.

Reviewed 30 October 2015

came here on a Saturday evening right in the middle of the autumn Conwy Food Festival. I booked on the day and luckily they had a table. Great staff, really friendly and eager to please. Both myself and my friend had fish for starters and main course - lovely crab, scallops, fish pie and tempura fish. We were too full for desert but they sounded great! We "retired" to the bar after dinner and had a great time chilling out in the historic surroundings! Can't fault