“Boutique Welsh hospitality”

Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Award winning seafront restaurant
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Gwesty Cymru is a delightful boutique hotel on the sea front in Aberystwyth. We stayed in room 8 on the top floor of the hotel up several flights of steep stairs. The room is full of character with beams from the roof and a stone slate wall in the bedroom and bathroom, with numerous niches adding character. Number 8 is large enough to have a king sized bed as well as two seater sofa and small desk with tea and coffee making facilities. The bathroom has both a shower and bath which is a nice touch for a small hotel. My only issue would be the size of the basins in the bathroom which are very narrow to fit into the narrow bathroom - but that's a small issue. Bathrobes are supplied which you wouldn't expect in smaller hotels. The bedroom in great, but could do with softer pillows, but this is a small issue which could I am sure be remedied.

We stayed for two nights and each morning had a wonderful breakfast of either full-Welsh breakfast, Welsh Rarebit or scrambled eggs with smoked salmon, all a great start for the day ahead. The staff at the hotel from chamber maids, waiting staff, to the managers were very friendly and professional. We doubt you can find a better hotel in the area. Some may be cheaper but pay the extra and you won't regret it.

1  Thank HalloButlers

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

A vegan and a child are not every restauranteurs desire, but Gwesty Cymru handled the ‘challenge’ with top marks.
The atmosphere is relaxed but things are done right. We had a booked a table in advance and the host (not the person we spoke to) was fully up to speed- always a good sign. Not only was he keen to assist but also came up with menu selections, again a good sign. The food both ‘conventional’ and vegan was excellent. My 7 year old son’s pasta was plentiful. An added bonus was the inclusion of vegan wine (albeit not listed as such) meant that we could enjoy a perfect family meal.
Starters - scallops & tomato and herb soup
Mains- treacle pork and courgette and quinoa
Dessert - bars brith bread pudding & lemon sorbet with brûlée bananas.

As a family we are well travelled and my vegan wife out this restaurant in her top 10.

Well done Gwesty Cymru.

2  Thank Flybywire320
Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

Had a 3 course special Sunday lunch for £22.95 and it was simply immense. Breakfast patties to start (black pudding, bacon and sausage) were amazing with a delicious homemade tomato sauce. The beef dinner was again faultless, with probably the nicest roasted parsnip I’ve ever tasted! I couldn’t walk out regretting not having a pudding, so plumped for the bara brith & pudding with marmalade custard which was again so good!!

My partner had fish cakes to start and the beef for main, with a chocolate torte to end with. She’s a difficult one to take out as she is an excellent cook, but she was suitably impressed by the wonderful food.

The staff were all extremely friendly, approachable and knowledgeable which all in all made for a cracking couple of hours!
Diolch yn fawr

1  Thank gregorythimble
Reviewed 27 March 2018 via mobile

My husband and daughter joined me tonight for the best meal yet on our holiday. My husband and I both ordered the Welsh lamb and it did not disappoint. My daughter had the salmon and loved every mouthful. The service was friendly but professional. I would highly recommend this restaurant to others visiting the area.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 March 2018 via mobile

My Mother and I stayed at Gwesty Cymru for one night last weekend, following a recommendation from a friend. It most certainly did NOT disappoint. We stayed in room 4, which, for a small fee was changed from a double to a twin bedded room. It was beautiful in an elegant yet understated way. Simple and thoughtfully furnished with the most glorious view of the seafront. The bathroom facility was superb, not overly fussy but it provided everything that you needed......from a hairdryer to cotton wool balls. The building itself was beautiful and the staircase was simply stunning. We had precooked in the restaurant and enjoyed a delicious supper, superb food, freshly cooked with attentive, friendly and polite staff, who incidentally were fluent in both English and Welsh. My only minor criticism is that the restaurant is small and as it is popular, the noise level at times was rather overwhelmingly loud! Breakfast the following morning was again, superb. A choice of cereal, fresh apple/orange juice, cooked welsh breakfast, and much more. What was even nicer is that we were informed the night before that breakfast was served between 8 and 10 but there was no pressure to specify what time we intended to eat.
I would most certainly return again and highly recommend the hotel and restaurant , though I would imagine you need to book both in advance. Just be warned ( the hotel does inform you), that there is no car park available for the hotel, though there is parking along the seafront......4 hour slots, but free from 6pm through to 8am the next day. We managed without a problem, though I would have concerns during the summer months.
Thank you to all concerned for a delightful stay.