“Posh Afternoon Tea”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Broadway
Birmingham
“Posh Afternoon Tea”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

I have just been treated to a delightful afternoon tea by friends at The Dormy House Hotel. We chose one of the lounges and sat at a lovely round table, in a bay window with a roaring log fire just across the room, bliss.There is a great choice for tea and we had sandwiches (crusts cut off!), home made cake and scones with jam and cream. As we were driving we didn't choose the champagne option! Everything was fresh and tasty with an excellent choice of beverages. Tea was presented well with proper white linen napkins and when we wanted fresh tea and coffee that was brought quickly.
There are lots of things to see and do in the area (walks,gardens,National Trust properties and Cotswold villages) so popping into The Dormy House for a meal is a great idea. If you want a traditional English country house sort of place with squashy sofas and magazines, this is it.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Intrepidtraveller59

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
West Malling, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

Firstly, I have to say that I should have really liked this hotel. This style of hotel is just my cup of tea but Dormy House didn't really do it for me. Compared to what I expected and to other properties of a similar ilk it just didn't cut the mustard. In terms of my disappointments they were as follows: room was very small around the bed area; if I had stayed there more than one night I would have felt extremely claustrophobic; room was also very hapahazard in layout with very low beams (I'm tall but these beams were everywhere and were a right pain) which I managed to bang my head on a number of times. The bathroom was spacious but there was no bath only a (very large) shower which again had it's head set too low (I banged my head on this too!). Had dinner in the restaurant and food was nowhere as good as expected. The menu promises great things but actually the food doesn't deliver at all - it was just average. Service was also average with a number of staff not being presentaed in the way that I would expect for a hotel with these aspirations. So a number of small niggles which really took away from the whole experience.

All in all for me it was just about better than average for me. I wouldn't stay here again as I'm sure there are better properties available at the price.

Room Tip: If you're tall make sure you find out whether your room has any low beams!!!!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank Rodders546
DormyHouse, General Manager at Dormy House Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor. From your status as a business traveller we may not have had the opportunity to discuss with you your personal requirements before your visit.
As the Dormy House is an old farm, our rooms are all different and had we known your height requirements we would have reserved a more suitable room, which would have gone someway to alleviating some of the problems you encountered during your stay.
london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

There are plenty of good points about this hotel but overall there was something missing for me on the charm front. We had one of the cheaper rooms, which was on the small side, but it had everything you needed, a comfy bed, a pleasant mix of contemporary decor with olde worlde beams, was very clean, a very modern bathroom, tea & coffee (instant only), large TV, etc. The main lounge had a very nice atmosphere, with an open fire and armchairs where we sat with a bottle of wine and played chess - very relaxed. The staff were very professional and polite. We ate in the Barn Owl Brasserie, which served up ok food for an ok price (nothing special, but perfectly fine). So, what was wrong? Several parts of the roof of the building were covered in beautiful stone tiles but other parts were covered in the most awful, unsympathetic concrete tiles and the flat roof covered in really hideous asphalt (I particulary took exception to this as the history of the hotel crows about the huge sums spent - clearly in the wrong places). The conservatory is also pretty unattractive. The reception certainly lacks charm - it was a bit 'Crossroads'. The lovely lounge overlooks the carpark, which is a shame. The breakfast offers a very good choice but the cooked part was very badly cooked. My partners full english was not freshly cooked and was overcooked and dry; the less said about my eggs benedict the better (it is probably the worst I've ever had). So overall, there are plenty of positives for the price, but it just didn't do it for me.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank emmy73London
Aldershot, Hants
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

Just returned after an overnight stay at the amazing Dormy House in the beautiful Cotswolds. This hotel is the most relaxing place to stay you could ever wish for. The bedrooms are amazing from the extremely comfortable bed to the exquisite contemporary bathroom with the delightful Temple Spa toiletries. We opted to eat in the Barn Owl which was fabulous particularly the baked Camembert infused with rosemary and garlic, the delicious crime brûlée with fruit cake flavoured icecream yummy! all served by caring and attentive staff all of whom are professional and a credit to the management team. After a peaceful night's sleep you are greeted with a delightful breakfast in the relaxing dining room. Decided to take up the opportunity of following one of the Dormy House Walks which was fab and then on our return opted to have an afternoon cream tea which was a sheer delight, as we were served with the best carrot cake we had ever tasted and then the fresh fruit tart and light warm scones with lashings of clotted cream and organic jam. This hotel is one of the best and may it continue to rank as such for ever more. Thank you all for a fabulous weekend, we will most definitely return soon, saving as we speak. Do not hesitate book today.....

Room Tip: Room 10 exquisite!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
DormyHouse, Public Relations Manager at Dormy House Hotel, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Thank you for such a lovely review of the Dormy. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you again soon.
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

Having just looked at the Dormy House for a possible stay with my wife,I decided that I'd review my stays here.

I have stayed on numerous occasions over the years,always for corporate dinners and overnight stays.

I can recommend the Dormy House as a hotel for special ocassions,or just a treat.Their food has always been worthy of special mention,Michelin starred it isn't,but could never understand how their ratings work anyway?because the Dormy is long overdue this sort of recognition.
Their rooms are always smart ,well furnished,and comfortable.

Certainly one of the best hotels in this area,I would say?not particularly cheap but good things never are.You still get what you pay for.
And if you like quality,high standards and great food and wine then you won't be disapointed with this hotel.
Other reviewers echo my opinion to a T.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Broadway
2.4 km away
2.5 km away
The Broadway Hotel
The Broadway Hotel
#4 of 6 in Broadway

Been to Dormy House Hotel? Share your experiences!