“They might want to get their service in order before the Royal Wedding masses...”

The King and Castle
Ranked #88 of 271 Restaurants in Windsor
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Not one of the best Wetherspoon experiences - I visited recently during a weekday lunch and was just appalled by the (lack of) service and staff accountability. I was served by a new starter (and everybody needs time to learn) but due to his inexperience, he managed to get part of the order wrong which meant not only did I pay more than I should have, we also got a standard burger as opposed to a gourmet one (and the receipt I asked for didn't show the food listings, just £ total). This wouldn't have been a problem in itself but when we were served the food, we told the staff member and they just said they couldn't do anything, shrugged their shoulders and said we'd have to see the manager. As we just wanted a quick bite, we let it slide. The food itself was nice but this experience left me cold. Very disappointing

Reviewed 5 April 2018

Its a Wetherspoons, so not much to tell really, based on that but never the less a good meal deserves a good review! So, based on that i must say that for the money you cant really find better food in Windsor, unless you go down the buffet or oriental options.

I ate here with friends on their Tuesday Steak Club night and i was mightily impressed. for under £10 you can have a decent sized dinner and a drink of your choice, from a very respectable and somewhat envious array of options. Especially if your tipple of choice happens to be real ale, for which, like it or not, Weatherspoons always has a very good range of!

There are a good range of steaks on offer as well as sides options all being cooked to order and to spec. I like mine medium rare, and by George they cooked it to that level with no problems what so ever, something a lot of restaurants in a much higher price band often fail to do. Taste wise it was perfectly acceptable and while it may not be the finest steak ever made it certainly passes muster for a decent job well done, and successfully made me feel very satisfied as a result.

Service was fine with no major problems, i was served by a very pleasant young lady on the bar who was polite and efficient and then by a waiter who was very well presented and well spoken who actually seemed to care about whether my food was ok or not. Thank you for that, i didn't catch their names but they worked hard!

So there you have it, if your in Windsor and want a good meal at a decent price with good service then check out the King and Castle. It may not be fine dining but for value, efficiency, taste and also views to die for you could do a lot worse!

Reviewed 2 April 2018

Lovely place, Windsor, classy shops, historic surroundings, great architecture, so why are pubs so awful?

Reviewed 1 April 2018

I have eaten here often with my mum. We like to sit upstairs overlooking the castle. The decor is lovely and the place is always clean. The food is usually fine, but on the two occasions I have had the all day breakfast, I have had to send the fried egg back both times as it has been dried up and hard. On the last occasion the waiter seemed incapable of saying the word sorry. I know it is not his personal fault, but surely it is basic customer service to apologise when something is obviously substandard. On both occasions the egg was replaced with one which was barely cooked. I think the chef was trying to make a point, but how hard is it to fry an egg properly?

Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

After the awful experience in the other wetherspoons down hill my friends and I found ourselves in the one opposite the castle after our site seeing.. Much better atmosphere nice food lovely staff completely different to what we had expected after the last one.. Restored faith in wetherspoons.. The company needs to be more alert to the people running there pubs

1  Thank Jade F