“Lovely friendly staff, great food”

The White Horse Inn
Ranked #103 of 282 Restaurants in Salisbury
Price range: USD 7 - USD 39
Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The White Horse Inn welcomes you and your family to our historic pub and gardens. Whether visiting Salisbury or heading to the New Forest or South Coast we are ideally situated. Serving delicious meals 7 days a week, with thirst quenching local ales and a varied wine list we have something for everyone here at The White Horse Inn.
Reviewed 8 January 2018 via mobile

Visited here with a large group of friends for Xmas. Was a lovely evening out. Great food and nothing was too much trouble for the staff. Highly recommend xx

Cheryl P, Owner at The White Horse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2018

Thank you for your lovely review. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 30 December 2017 via mobile

We visited the white horse for our Christmas meal. Food was excellent and the staff were friendly and nothing was too much trouble. The pub had a great Christmas vibe and we enjoyed our visit thoroughly. Will definitely be visiting again soon.

Thank you for your lovely review. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 30 December 2017 via mobile

1st off we were a big group (22)
BUT we had booked ahead for the use of the back room for 1.30 sit down. We started to gather in the bar area & began placing our orders at 12.45.
It wasn’t over busy in the pub with another smaller group already seated, waiting their meals in the back room, when we went through.
SORRY:
Have to say it didn’t matter how good the food was it didn’t arrive until 3pm!!!

Thank you for your review, however, I feel there are some misleading statements I should address.
You did indeed start to place orders at 12.45 but the rest of your guests didn't arrive at the same time and the last order was received at approximately 1.30. As you all wanted to eat together and some of the guests ordered starters this did mean that the mains didn't go out until just before 3pm.
For a party of your size we would normally insist on a preorder, however, as the person organising it is a personal friend and had a nightmare getting preorders last year, I agreed to receive orders on the day on the understanding that this would cause a substantial delay. She agreed that was reasonable and said that no one in your group would be in a great hurry anyway.
I must also point out that the "small group" you refer to that were booked in just before you were a table of 16 that had preordered their food.
As you appear to have had no issues with the food itself, I do hope that you understand the reasons for your particular issues taking onboard the explanations above and return for another visit.

Reviewed 26 December 2017 via mobile

My family and I visited this pub for lunch on Christmas Day. I'm afraid that it was not a good experience. On arrival, as mentioned on other reviews, there seemed to be a lack of general cleanliness, sticky tables included. The decor was very tired and looked extremely dated. The staff were very friendly and welcoming, but unfortunately didn't seem to know what they were doing (or briefed well/at all). Service was slow, so much so that several meals had to be sent back as the food was cold when it got to the table- skin on gravy is not nice! The food itself was distinctly average once hot. What arrived from what was ordered in advance off the day's menu did not seem to match up. The vegetables were a disappointment too. The gluten free option seemed to be the same meal with the gluten items removed. After a while the piped music stopped which removed any semblance of Christmas ambiance. Most of the time the staff were in the bar area at the other end of the pub, requiring us to chase up courses and get additional cutlery. There did not seem to be any management in evidence and little customer service at the table. To cap it all off, the bill was paid in full in advance, meaning there was little chance of redress for this experience. Such a disappointment!

We are very sorry that your experience didn't match up to the other guests. I do find some of your comments baffling however.
Our Old Stables room is a beautiful mainly bare brick room with a huge inglenook fire and lovely artwork which I cannot imagine anyone describing as "tired" or "dated" other than the fact that we have kept this 600 year old room very traditional. It is also kept spotlessly clean. I can only assume that you have picked up the "sticky tables" comment from a previous review as this is a problem we have with a few of our bar tables only (they had a bad lacquer before I took over but we are in the process of refurbing them all).
The first course was sent out just before the scheduled 1.30pm start as you were all here early and the fifth course was finished and cleared away by 3.00pm. For a 5 course meal to be finished within 1.5 hours I cannot possibly see where there was room for delay or chasing up but due to the discourse between members of your group I can see that you may have wanted to be finished up quickly.
The gluten free option was indeed the normal meal with pigs in blankets removed (the only item containing gluten). I'm not sure that this could be considered a problem.
The cold duck you sent back to the kitchen was also a mystery as a probe revealed the temperature to be 65 degrees on return and no complaints about the other food.
The staff did spend some time in the bar area as the pub was also open for our other customers on Christmas Day but I feel that your table was well attended with a checkback done on every course.
Unfortunately, you did adversely effect our other customers experience as I received three separate complaints about your rudeness at the end of the meal and one table even left early because of it even though the assured me that everything else with their meal was wonderful they felt very uncomfortable with your behaviour.

Reviewed 18 November 2017

We visited on several occasions during a recent stay in Downton as the staff without exception were very friendly and efficient and the food was very tasty and sensibly priced. It was a very pleasant place to spend a couple of hours in the evening.

Thank you for your lovely review. We hope that you pop in if you are ever back in the area.