“Drab”

Ranked #103 of 282 Restaurants in Salisbury
Price range: USD 6 - USD 39
Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The White Horse Inn welcomes you and your family to our historic pub and gardens. Whether visiting Salisbury or heading to the New Forest or South Coast we are ideally situated. Serving delicious meals 7 days a week, with thirst quenching local ales and a varied wine list we have something for everyone here at The White Horse Inn.
Reviewed 26 October 2017

We did go with the intention of having dinner but that changed when we walked through the door.
Although the bar staff were very polite and friendly I took a seat at a sticky table and looked at the menu. Well I would have, but I couldn't pick it up from the sticky table, and that table was ready for seating!
The whole place looks unkept, drab, dirty, and frankly how pubs used to look 30 years ago. Horrible ugly carpet floors, decor was vile. It started to make me feel depressed.
I understand it would probably cost a huge amount of money to totally refurb, but god, please do something.
Therefore we didn't order dinner. We drank our one and only drink and left.
Such a shame as it's in a prime location too. It could be lovely. Sorry. Don't wish to sound snobbish, but just not for me.

Cheryl P, Owner at The White Horse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2018

I am sorry that you felt the need to write such a damning review without even trying our food.
I will admit that some of the decor could be considered dated but as you say, it is a very costly undertaking and we make absolutely sure that everything is spotlessly clean until we can afford a refurbishment.
Your comment about the tables is understandable but misinformed. I assume you picked a table in the bar area and not in the area generally used for eating. The bar area has a few tables that received a bad lacquer job before I took over which has left them permanently sticky despite vigorous scrubbing. We have already completely stripped and revarnished some of the effected tables but there are a few still to do (this is an incredibly time consuming job). This work has been done alongside some major renovations to our kitchen and toilets which have received a full refit and substantial improvements to the cellar. Although these works are not as obvious to the eye we considered these more important to the quality of our food and drink than aesthetics so prioritised them.
We plan a more comprehensive redecoration in the near future and hope that you will consider a return visit.

Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

I can't recommend The White Horse Inn and the team there highly enough. Suggested as a venue by family when a prior venue had let me down quite close to the date of my husband's surprise 40th birthday party, Cheryl, Clare and the team came to the rescue! Firstly they were a pleasure to deal with, nothing was a problem, they sent emails and menus promptly and when they said they would, meaning that it was all sorted very quickly! They gave us use of the Old Stables private room without additional fees as long as we were eating which was fantastic. The menus were delicious and very reasonably priced making it an affordable event, plus they had a BBQ option which was great and just the ticket for a bloke-filled party! They were flexible about menu options and kindly accommodated my requests. On the day, the food exceeded expectations, being even tastier than described and of a very high quality. All the guests have raved about the party and have been complimenting me on every aspect, especially the food, but I have to share that praise with the White Horse and team, as without them it would have been a bit of a nightmare! This venue helped make the day extra special and I would recommend them to anyone thinking of having a party or get together. Thank you Cheryl, Clare and all the staff there.

1  Thank kimhandford
Cheryl P, Owner at The White Horse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2017

Thank you for your lovely review. We are thrilled that your husband's birthday party was a success. We take every effort to ensure that a special occasion is just that and the whole team appreciates your positive feedback. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 9 September 2017

We have used this Pub twice now and had very good food and good service. We visited early evening, we were served promptly choose our own table and ate from the Specials Board. Very clean through-out and checked during the meal, what more could you ask for.

Cheryl P, Owner at The White Horse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2017

Thank you very much for your review. We change our specials regularly so will always have something new for you to try! We hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed 5 September 2017

After staying locally, we spotted a sign for a live band so thought we would pop along for dinner. The food was pretty good and the staff were very friendly. The music was not to our taste (70/80's rock tribute style act) but others seemed to enjoy it. The evening was not perfect due to another customer constantly smoking on her vape stick whilst we were eating (thankfully just finishing our meal).

A really lovely pub though with a lot of character

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad that your overall experience was positive and that you appreciated our extensive gin collection! We have recently reviewed our policy on vaping and now no longer allow it within the building but will be looking at additional signage to make customers aware of this. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

Amazing food. Very accommodating staff and child friendly venue. Will definitely go again and try their other menus.

Thank you very much for your review. We hope to see you again very soon!