“Brings the Bronte story to life - GREAT!”
Review of Bronte Walks

Bronte Walks
Ranked #1 of 17 things to do in Haworth
More attraction details
Owner description: Discover Yorkshire with Brontë Walks. We offer tours, guides and so much more to make your visit to Yorkshire a memorable one. I am a Blue Badge Tourist Guide for Yorkshire and my love of the county and in particular Haworth and the moors that surround it is the inspiration for my work. I offer a wide range of guides walks, tours, support for tour companies, meet and greet services, day tours, drive tours and extended tours across the whole of Yorkshire. My job is to help you discover Yorkshire and all that it has to offer. The ‘Passionate Brontës’ is our acclaimed walking tour of Haworth that tells the story of the Brontë family. I use their letters, poems and writing to weave the story into the social fabric of the times. This is offered as either a scheduled walk that all are welcome to join, or as a private tour. It is the most wonderful prelude to visiting the Parsonage Museum. The times for these walks do vary and it is best to check when they are running.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Johnnie has a way of telling the Bronte story that just pulls you right in. My sister and I were fortunate to have him all to ourselves and he brought the story of this amazing family completely to life, to the point of tears at some of the hardships they suffered along the way but also laughter at some of Johnnie's modern life comparisons which just brought a smile to your face too. It was an uplifting and very special backdrop to our decision to walk in the Bronte footsteps up to Top Withens. We loved every second! Johnnie is hard to beat not only on the topic of the Brontes but also the way he paints such a vivid picture of this extraordinary family and the times they lived in.

Johnnie B, Owner at Bronte Walks, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2018

Thank you for your wonderful review. It was such a pleasure to meet you both and I really loved the story of your childhood Christmas plays. it was the perfect example of sisters and brothers playing together and perhaps being directed by the older sister! I look forward to meeting you again and perhaps sharing a tour around York, or a wander up to the Alcomden Stones which sit above Top Withens and are perhaps the playground for Cathy and Heathcliff. Best wishes, Johnnie

All reviews
"gifted storyteller"
"booked this tour"
"deep knowledge"
in 3 reviews
"would highly recommend this tour"
"small group"
"come alive"
"vivid picture"
"english teacher"

Reviewed 13 March 2018

As a total Bronte fan girl I went on this so my husband could hear the story of the family and yet Johnnie not only taught me a lot of things that I didn't know but spoke so passionately about the family that I actually changed my view point on things about the family. He clearly enjoys what he does and is so engaging that the time just flew by. Would thoroughly recommend this to anyone visiting Haworth.

2  Thank UkTracyF
Johnnie B, Owner at Bronte Walks, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2018

Thank you so much for your kind review. It is always a pleasure to hear that we have done a good job. You are right, I really enjoy telling the story of the family and making the links to our own lives. I am so glad that you enjoyed it and I hope to see you again in Haworth. Best wishes, Johnnie B

Reviewed 20 February 2018

We arranged for a group walk with Johnnie, but me and my husband were the only ones who showed up, This was not a problem for us or Johnnie. We were made to feel welcome and Johnnie is one very knowledgeable guy he really knows his stuff about the Bronte's, the weather was bad but that didn't stop the enjoyment and fun we had walking around Haworth, Johnnie is very passionate about his job and you can see it in his face when he is talking about the family that he loves to talk about them his face lights up. we didn't get to go to the waterfall as the weather was bad but this didn't matter we still had fun , and ended our walk with a nice cuppa of tea in the church listening to Johnnie read parts of poems and stories from the family. If you are in Haworth ad want to learn more about the family get in touch with Johnnie you won't be disappointed at all, we will definitely meet up wit Johnnie again in fairer weather to enjoy a walk on to the moors. Well done Johnnie and thank you for a fab morning and for such a good price of £7 per person, we gave him £20 just because he was a fantastic host and so knowledgeable. See you in warmer weather Johnnie.

1  Thank northernflower
Johnnie B, Owner at Bronte Walks, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2018

Thank you so much for your lovely review, it was a cold day, but it was fun and I really enjoyed your company. I am looking forward to warmer weather and walking with you up onto the moors. Thank you.

Reviewed 9 February 2018 via mobile

Being brutally honest, I was dragged to Haworth by my missus who loves all things historical, but particularly anything associated with the Georgian era. Excellent beer and a nice meal on day 1 made the trip tolerable. I had low expectations for the “tour” the following morning as historical stuff tends to leave me cold......so it was great to be pleasantly surprised !
Johnnie was a lovely, engaging, passionate and knowledgeable guide. A natural raconteur who genuinely brought to life the story of the Bronte family, about which I had no knowledge, nor indeed much interest. He held our attention for every minute of the tour........if he’d been my history teacher at school I’d probably have loved the subject, which I didn’t ! The tea and biscuits in the church were an added bonus given the fact it was absolutely Baltic outside.....but it was Johnnie’s story telling that stole the show. He should be a teacher, inspiring kids as he would undoubtedly do, but that profession’s loss is Haworth’s gain. Go and experience it for yourselves !

2  Thank Simon M
Johnnie B, Owner at Bronte Walks, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2018

Thank you for your brilliant review. It was a delight to spend the morning with you and your friends, you were great company. It was incredibly cold and the tea and biscuits did bring the circulation back and thank you for donation to the Church. I am glad that you enjoyed your visit to Haworth and I hope to see you all again soon. Best wishes, Johnnie Briggs

See more reviews
Reviewed 1 January 2018

Not having a car or good navigational skills, I was delighted to find the perfect guide in Johnnie. His knowledge of Haworth & the surrounding area & history of the Brontës is just wonderful. When the chosen day for the moors walk turned out wild & snowy, he took my mother & myself on a tour of the village instead, happy to postpone the longer walk until a sunnier day in the week.

Johnnie is a wonderfully friendly & accommodating guide, full of the most interesting stories & information on the landscape, soundscape, & history of this most ruggedly beautiful part of England. The thermos of hot chocolate & home baking added a most thoughtful touch to day. His vintage Morris Minor “Olwyn Morgan Jones” is pretty special too! A big thank you for making our stay in Haworth so special.

1  Thank sthomp2
Johnnie B, Owner at Bronte Walks, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2018

Thank you for your wonderful review and kind words. It was a delight to share a moorland walk with you and I wish you well with your book binding and all your endeavors. I really enjoyed our walk around the village with you and your Mum and thank you for my cup of tea and mince pie. Best wishes to you both and may 2018 bring you joy, laughter and happiness.