“Hungry Horse??? More like hungry kids!!!”
Review of Signal Box

Signal Box
Ranked #43 of 621 Restaurants in Coventry
Cuisines: American, Indian, British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Visited as a treat left hungry and disappointed. Visited the Signal Box as a treat on a Thursday in April as a reward for my five year old as she had done well at swimming. Pulled into the car park plenty of spaces, thought great not too busy. Went inside found a table with TV so kids could be occupied whilst waiting for food to arrive. Ordered food at the bar, as it was a Thursday I was informed that as we were having big plate main meals we could have a free starter with each one. Fantastic I thought, free starters Tv to occupy the kids and a parking space near the door to the pub. After waiting a while and numerous kids programs starting and finishing with no sign of any food, starters or otherwise, we saw a member of staff who we asked what was the delay on food she asked which table we were sitting at so we told her and sat back down. After some more tv programs starting and finishing and still no food we spoke to another staff member who went to the kitchen came back and said “your food will be ready in 5 minutes. I thought great as we were about to give up. The food came out starters and mains together and my daughters hot dog meal, to mine and my wife’s surprise consisted of a sausage the was stone cold and about as appetising as a dead slug. The hot dog was sent back and returned looking exactly the same however now it was nuclear hot, the kind of hotness you only get from a microwave. The chips on my wife’s meal looked like they had been fried at least once before, not what I expected when we placed our order, this was suposed to have been a treat instead we left with two unhappy and disappointed and hungry children.

Review collected in partnership with Greene King
1  Thank gjjenkinson

Dear Reviewer,
I am very sorry to hear that the last visit to us was poor and that you were disappointed with it, I will be taking all matters up with the team as soon as they are next in. I would like to apologise for that visit and ensure that all the matters will be resolved and I hope that you can return so we can restore your confidence in us.

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Visited for family meal as we have previously had good experiences here but we will never visit this pub or hungry horse again. We ordered starters and main meals but then waited an hour before anything came to the table. Our poor children by this point were very irritable tired and hungry. We had no communication from any of the staff on the reason for the delay or so much as an apology. We were not told of a delay on food at the point of ordering. Then the food that arrived was of a very low standard. My daughters food was inedible and sent back three times. She didn’t get to eat the meal in the end because it was so disgusting I would not allow her to eat it. The sausage was hard and tough and cold, which we returned to the kitchen for a new one, it was sent back out piping hot and looked exactly the same and clearly just been microwaved. I could not bite through it , it was that tough. She ended up eating from my plate which wasn’t much better. They only served up half a portion of chips on my plate which were burnt and had clearly been cooked again and again and sent back out. The chicken was also very dry and cooked for too long. None of us enjoyed the experience of eating here and will never be going back. The staff didn’t seem to care that we were so dissatisfied with the food and service. The manager refunded my daughters meal cost and gave her a couple of scoops of ice cream but by then we were all very stressed and angry. My children were still hungry leaving the restaurant which after you have paid the best part of £30 and spent just over 2 hours there you would expect to be satisfied! Massively disappointed. Trust me. Avoid.

1  Thank Emma J

Dear Emma,
Firstly I would like to apologise for this visit and can ensure you that I will be looking into these issues tomorrow and I will be raising them at the next team meeting to ensure we can improve upon these issues.

Reviewed 3 April 2018

I have only been to one other hungry horse, The Mount Pleasant which I did enjoy, however, this place was the opposite.

First, we went and got ourselves a table. After a few minutes looking at the menu we had to move all the way over to the other end of the pub because the music was so loud that side it was ridiculous. Then i went up to order with my mum and must have
waited 15 mins to be served as there was only a man serving. (Although there was a women doing something behind the bar.)

So after finally ordering our food we went and sat down and waited for about 45 minutes for our food to come out.

Now this is where it really got annoying for me. I ordered the Quorn Vegetarian Sausages and Mash (4.99), however what was presented before me was not what i was expecting. I noticed straight away how weird the Quorn sausages looked and could have sworn they were stuffing. So i took a bite from one of them and they were indeed stuffing! i had stuffing shaped sausages! Then i noticed i was missing the Red Onion Chutney that was supposed to be ontop of the sausages.

So after getting the attention of the waitress i told her about the Red Onion Chutney first because i love that stuff, she went of and at first I thought she had forgotten because she was serving other people but after about 20 minutes she came to tell me they did not have any! and because she was so long i had to start on the stuffing sausages because my dish was going cold. So i ended up not bothering to tell her
about them.

The waitress asked me if i would like some other type of sauce, i said the Bourbon Glazed. Again i waited which seemed an eternity, for another woman to only come back and tell me i had to pay 99p for it! It should have been free because i had no chutney! I said no as i had nearly finished the dish.

This dish should never have been served if they did not have any Quorn Sausages OR the Onion Chutney. If I wanted stuffing and mash I would have asked for it!

The waiters shouldn't be going off attending other people when they should be attending to the ones who are waiting! before them.

Now onto my mum and sisters meals. They had a burger each which seemed a bit tiny compared to other places we have been where we have paid nearly the same price. My sister did not really enjoy hers that much because it was burnt around the
edges as was my mums.

The pub itself seemed clean and tidy but the service was terrible and food definitely not good.

I will never be going back to the Signal Box again that's for sure. Just take my review in mind when going.

1  Thank Rebecca T

Dear Rebecca,
Im sorry that you have been disappointed with your visit with us, we will be speaking with the team members at the next team meeting to tell them that this is unacceptable and we will be looking for ways to rectify these issues.
I hope we can convince you to try us once more so we can prove that we have improved upon your feedback.

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

used to pop in here on a friday after work gets quite busy but nice staff and nice pint havent had food here yet tho but id defo drink here nice pub

Dear Paula,
Thank you for your review, I am glad to hear that you have had a great experience with us, we will be passing all of your comments onto the team at the next meeting, we are all looking forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 3 April 2018

This is a great place to eat very economical good price can highly recommend the fish and chips also the Sunday roast. There is also a very varied selection to suit everyone including vegetarians.

Dear Val,
I’m glad to hear about your good experience with us and can’t wait to welcome you back again hopefully sometime soon. Thankyou very much for your review.