“Good food but at a price!”

Ristorante Da Vinci
Ranked #25 of 603 Restaurants in Coventry
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 19 June 2016

Visited Da Vinci's a couple of weeks ago, altho' I live locally I hadn't been for several years. It is definitely a special occasion place, certainly in terms of price. The food we had was very good quality and the service is attentive, overly so at times. I don't need my wine & water glasses topping up 3 or 4 times during the meal & I only need to be asked once if my food is ok.
There were two of us, we each had a starter, I had a slight alteration to mine (the original had chilli, which I can't eat - when the bill came I had been charged £3 more for that, without being advised of the fact!). We had mains, one pasta, one duck [so avoiding the excellent but very expensive steaks!] I had ice cream and we had a litre of house wine, £81 for two. It'll be sometime before I go back, unless someone else is paying, of course!

2  Thank Kris P

Reviewed 18 June 2016

It was our first visit to the restaurant. On arrival we were seated and offered some water. The wine list was also provided but we decided on a beer and Italian cider. The gentlemen (who I think is the owner) replied with 'no' and just stood there. It was as if that as we didn't choose a bottle of wine we he was not happy. It was until after a minute he said we don't have the cider.

The food itself was excellent and very good.

We didn't feel like we were treated like a customer. There were other diners who must attend regular and the waiters just looked after them. This place is not cheap so I expect the same level of service. Will not be going back .

1  Thank bshindroja
Reviewed 31 May 2016 via mobile

We had not been for several years ,the service and welcome was very good.The asparagus starter and ENGLISH lamb top class. I would recommend and will visit again
Well done
Paul

Reviewed 31 May 2016

I took our party of 3 along to the Ristorante da Vinci for a family birthday celebration and was happy to let them order their favourites from the fish and seafood specials.

The specials were verbally described and clearly their seasonal lobster, Dover sole and Monkfish were never going to inexpensive. There are many reasonable options on the menu but if you are minding the budget ask the price of any special you are tempted by.

To start I had the English Asparagus bundled in Parma ham and Italian cheese sauce, just georgeous. My wife had the Misto D’Pesce Affumicato, an excellent assortment of smoked fish dressed with a citrus oil infusion. This is a signature dish of the restaurant and is on the main menu. My son had the Prosciutto Di Parma Con Le Pere which was served on a bed of his favourite rocket, crumbled gorgonzola and toasted walnuts. It was Parma Ham and poached pears in English.

For mains I had the fillet of beef on a bed of roasted red onions & red wine jus topped with a goats cheese. The fillet was good enough for me to order it bleu. It was cooked exactly as I wanted and the combination was delicious. My son went for the most expensive the lobster. They changed the thermidor sauce for a simpler white wine and lemon more to his taste. All the 'market list' fish and seafood can be cooked as you request. My wife had the scallops cooked in a similar way.

My wife and I shared a cheeseboard to go with the rest of my bottle of full-bodied Montepulciano d'Abruzzo. We discussed going for mainly Italian cheeses but Carmello insisted we try the local Berkswell. This turned out to be a hard sheep's cheese made with unpasteurised milk in kitchen colander moulds! We also were served Gruyere, Parmigiana, Gorgonzola and a tasty French soft goat's cheese. An excellent board!

Reviewed 24 May 2016

Been several times in the evening but this was the first time for a business meeting.Serene and quiet atmosphere ideal for my purpose The food and service as good as provided for dinner . Highly successful day